SLU Men's Soccer Thread

40 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

It really would be nice if they could figure out an efficient way to broadcast from the other side. Would probably require at least one scissor lift and a sh*t ton of cable.

I agree but I have watched several away games and our production seems like the best. 

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

a billiken goal was on espn's top ten this morning.   that's the most i know about billiken soccer.  

This is a set play. The player crossing the ball, Lawson Redmon #22 is trying to send it in the air curled in towards the goal as he is left footed on that side.

The player moving to the near post Max Florian, #5 is supposed to flick it with his head in the air to the back post, where CJ Coppola #13, is supposed to knock it in the goal out of the air. 

That didn’t happen as the defender was able to clear it out instead, but right to Christian Buendia who chested the ball down to his feet and blasted it in the top left corner from 20 yards.

SLU likes to keep certain defensive midfielders where Buendia was playing for exactly this reason. 

https://x.com/slumenssoccer/status/1712194920788771161?s=46&t=TsCCkuE48YmnkWfoKqc_Ng

On 10/9/2023 at 12:28 AM, courtside said:

Patrick Schulte’s invite to the 23 player camp roster in Phoenix for the U.S. Men’s Soccer Olympic Team. (He also played with the USYNT at other age groups). They will play Mexico and Japan in the next week. Well earned:

https://www.ussoccer.com/stories/2023/10/23-players-called-to-us-olympic-mens-soccer-team-training-camp

Patrick is starting tonight for the U.S. Men’s Olympic Team vs Mexico in Phoenix. No tv or stream. But there will be a stream Tuesday vs Japan. 

17 hours ago, courtside said:

Patrick is starting tonight for the U.S. Men’s Olympic Team vs Mexico in Phoenix. No tv or stream. But there will be a stream Tuesday vs Japan. 

Tom Timmermann reported that our Patrick Schulte was in goal last night for the U-23 USMNT 2-1 win over Mexico.  STLCity's Indiana Vassilev apparently did not get into the match.

OkieBilliken likes this

5 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Tom Timmermann reported that our Patrick Schulte was in goal last night for the U-23 USMNT 2-1 win over Mexico.  STLCity's Indiana Vassilev apparently did not get into the match.

Great to hear, it would be fantastic to see Patrick Schulte get a start in the Olympics.

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

Actually Tom didn't cover the game and he said as much.

I was only able to see a cell phone recorded version of the game. From only that Patrick looked good, composed, controlling the 18, and making a few big early 2nd half saves up 1-0.

4 keepers in camp competing for 2 spots. And this doesn't count the possibility of an added overage keeper.

Good start for Patrick. A ways to go to make the team. 

16 minutes ago, courtside said:

Actually Tom didn't cover the game and he said as much.

I was only able to see a cell phone recorded version of the game. From only that Patrick looked good, composed, controlling the 18, and making a few big early 2nd half saves up 1-0.

4 keepers in camp competing for 2 spots. And this doesn't count the possibility of an added overage keeper.

Good start for Patrick. A ways to go to make the team. 

Just now, HoosierPal said:

If you have a problem with Tom’s post I suggest you contact him. I doubt if he reads this board. 

?

I don’t have a problem with Tom’s post after the game at all. All I said in part of my reply to you was that Tom didn’t report anything because he wasn’t there and he didn’t see the game. And Tom of course said as much in the tweet you provided. 

6 minutes ago, courtside said:

?

I don’t have a problem with Tom’s post after the game at all. All I said in part of my reply to you was that Tom didn’t report anything because he wasn’t there and he didn’t see the game. And Tom of course said as much in the tweet you provided. 

?  I posted what Tom reported.

25 minutes ago, courtside said:

Actually, you posted what U.S. Soccer reported, and what Tom retweeted. That isn’t the same thing. And again, to Tom’s credit, he never said otherwise.

I'm really not sure what you have against Tom's post, but in the spirit of the unwritten Message Board rule that Last Post Wins, I'm out and I will let you respond and win.

Billikenbooster likes this

4 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

I'm really not sure what you have against Tom's post, but in the spirit of the unwritten Message Board rule that Last Post Wins, I'm out and I will let you respond and win. 

This will be my last post about it before posting about Patrick. And it’s only to be clear (if it wasn’t already) that I have zero issue with Tom’s tweets. You, not Tom, posted here that Tom “reported” blah blah blah. He didn’t report anything because what he did wasn’t “reporting.” It was retweeting. Retweeting and reporting are two different things. 

1 hour ago, Lord Elrond said:

I just want to see Patrick Schulte start in goal in the Olympics

Patrick has a good chance. He’s earned it. It helps that Patrick has a lot of U.S. Youth National Team experience. He played with both the U.S. U18 and U20 teams. He has a lot of International experience. 

Chris Brady, one of the four keepers in camp, came up through the Chicago Fire system. The U.S team’s head coach used to coach with Chicago Fire. So they have a connection. 

It would be great to see Patrick go from NCAA Quarterfinals with SLU, to MLS Next Pro Champion with Columbus, to MLS starter with Columbus, to U.S. Olympic Team. 

It’s exciting. 

4 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

There's only one person who can cover soccer Hoosierpal you should know that by now. 

HoosierPal and thetorch like this

It is now about 9 hours since the start of the Loyola game and there is no mention of a result on the SLU main page or on the Billiken app.  I can only assume they lost so there is no reason to post information about the game.

8 hours ago, gister said:

It is now about 9 hours since the start of the Loyola game and there is no mention of a result on the SLU main page or on the Billiken app.  I can only assume they lost so there is no reason to post information about the game.

They did lose, it was on Instagram unless they removed it.

10 hours ago, gister said:

I'm not sure why that's the case about the main page or app. I don't pay as much attention to the site as others. And I don't use the app.

In the future you can always go directly to the team's page or click on the choose a sport section. Results were immediately posted and real time stats are used. You wouldn't have to wait unless it's a Spring or exhibition game when info is often intentionally not posted. But those are the only times.

Results are posted shortly after games. The game was at 3pm. The result and related info was posted on the SLU Athletics site at 5:29pm. The score, box score, recap was all posted. It's time stamped. I don't know about the main page or app etc...It appears SLU also posted about the game in real time on multiple social media platforms. So there was plenty of info out there in a timely manner.

They did lose 3-1. Tough first half. Into a swirling 25mph wind, SLU started slow. Got down 2-0, got one back early 2nd half. Loyola's final goal came with seconds left as SLU was pressing for a goal. SLU wasn't efficient and urgent enough, defending the 18. Too much contain, not enough urgency and denial marking. First half approach needed to be more simple, urgent, direct. 2nd half needed more direct to corners of the field to work East/West service. SLU pressured often for the 2nd but didn't get it.

CJ was there but he was unable to play in the game.

Maurer to Dueso after right side service after a failed clear straight up in the air, 50/50 ball lost, bounced off of the turf. Hustle play from both as Dueso turned in finished. Play was set up by a 50/50 midfield volley in for Gates behjnd the defense. 2nd goal was good run down the left flank, through ball to Cisneros edge of the box who was double teamed but not marked tight enough. His back post cross was headed in by Janjic. 

SLU got one back early 2nd half with the wind. Buendia from T Anderson. Failed clear on a SLU throw in. Roughly similar to a Loyola goal on that end of the field.

4-3-2-1 for SLU. 4-2-3-1 for Loyola.

Bragging rights game for John Gates over former club teammates Seth/Tanner Anderson and Brogan Townsend. He had a good game especially in the first half. SLU had won the previous 3 meetings since playing again after 25 years. Billy Hency moved on to Chicago Fire 2 where he had 8 goals this season.

First loss for SLU after the previous 8 games. SLU's RPI is 23.

SLU is at 24 in the RPI through yesterday's games.  If the tournament started today, the A10 would safely have 3 teams in the field with Fordham at 27 and Davidson at 30.  VCU is at 44 and Loyola is at 51 would have to win the conference tournament to make the tournament at this point.  VCU might have a chance to get their RPI up enough without winning the tournament, but their record and the dance card doesn't measure up despite having the #1 SOS.

If SLU wins out and wins the tournament they would probably have an RPI high enough to get seeded, but lack the dance card to get a seed from the committee.  Their best bet would be Davidson wining out too and then beat Davidson in the finals at Davidson.  That would give them not only their first quad 1 win, but a road quad 1 win.  If Fordham wins at Princeton and Loyola, the victory over Fordham would become a quad 1 home win.

A loss in the final three regular season games or in the first round of the tournament probably puts SLU in a spot where they have to really worry about making the tournament if they don't win the conference tournament.  If SLU wins out and makes the semis, they are probably in the tournament as long as they don't end up playing and losing to Loyola in the semis.  Don't lose the in the final three regular season games and make the finals, SLU is safely in the tournament.