Jump to content

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-I understand how good Topin was for them last season, and Crutcher as well, but someone that impressed me in their games I saw, not just against us, was Watson, I don't know why he left Michigan, perhaps coaching change, but SVU has a real good one in him, too

I agree. Watson was tough to stop.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Your question made me curious so I did some quick digging: We haven't been ranked in the pre-season AP top 25 since 1959 In 2012-2013 we were 28th in the preseason AP Poll, 26th in the

SLU comes in at #29      Two years ago Saint Louis reached the NCAA Tournament. Last year they again won 23 games before the season was cut short. And nearly everybody from that deep sq

Posted Images

36 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-I understand how good Topin was for them last season, and Crutcher as well, but someone that impressed me in their games I saw, not just against us, was Watson, I don't know why he left Michigan, perhaps coaching change, but SVU has a real good one in him, too

Beilein left the year after Watson's transfer.  Watson transferred because he wasn't getting PT.  He played 5 minutes a game there.  Yet another example of a talented P5 recruit who has success by transferring down.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Watson could go off this year, true.  I saw him as purely a jump shooter last year.  

Dayton has a decent recent history in bringing in sit-out transfers like Watson.  Probably the A10's most consistent team in doing so.  Chase Johnson (Florida), Rodney Chatman (Chattanooga), Charles Cooke (James Madison), , Jordan Sibert (OSU),  and Kevin Dillard (SIU).  Weaver, from USC is next.  

In case you missed it, Malachi Smith, younger brother of Scoochie, committed verbally to Dayton last week.  He's a 3-star PG out of NYC.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Another write-up telling us what we already know.  No surprises here.  Semantics here and while Welch may be a prolific "shooter" I don't see 12 ppg as a prolific or more importantly a consistent scorer.  To call Osunniyi a "complete" big man is a bit of a stretch.,  But if hehas developed a more consistent offensive game,look out.  The bench remains an unknown.  Much like Richmond, they only go five deep right now.  Good spot for them I guess.  Cincinnati comes in at #59.

Link to post
Share on other sites

My guess is we will be in the 39-35 grouping. UR will be ranked a little lower. Which I don't get since we waxed them on their home court last year and both teams haven't changed except we improved our bench with the addition of Linssen and have Jimerson and Thatch back at full speed. Any Loretsson sightings? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

They've hit the top 60 what with Bona's listing with 2 left in the A10.  

That means 8 in the PAC-12, 4 in the American, 1 in the Valley, 7 in the Big East, 1 in the Mountain West,  8 in the SEC,  9 in the ACC, and  10 in the Big Ten for a total of 50 of the 59 remaining spots.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Loyola is 2,  Bradley 3 and Indiana State is 4.  Was Northern Iowa listed?  If yes, maybe Illinois State?

EDIT:  It's got to be Northern Iowa.  Illinois State was 10 - 21 last year while UNI is the defending regular season champs.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Taj79 said:

Loyola is 2,  Bradley 3 and Indiana State is 4.  Was Northern Iowa listed?  If yes, maybe Illinois State?

EDIT:  It's got to be Northern Iowa.  Illinois State was 10 - 21 last year while UNI is the defending regular season champs.  

-thanks 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Northern Iowa indeed is it for the Valley coming in today at #50.

Top 50 will now include us and Richmond as we all knew.  Teams already listed include Marquette, Maryland, Cincinnati, SMU, Ole Miss,Xavier, Auburn and Syracuse.  We will be ahead of some pretty traditional powers.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Northern Iowa indeed is it for the Valley coming in today at #50.

Top 50 will now include us and Richmond as we all knew.  Teams already listed include Marquette, Maryland, Cincinnati, SMU, Ole Miss,Xavier, Auburn and Syracuse.  We will be ahead of some pretty traditional powers.

And don't forget that annual powerhouse, 120 miles due west of St. Louis which came in at # 95.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Your definition of "traditional power" seems a little off from my definition of traditional power.  Mizzou vacated all wins from their 2013-14 season and Frank Haith was let go. Short of catching lightning in the Porter family bottle, they've been relatively irrelevant since.  It is not unfathomable for a #95 team to exceed expectations and go higher (or lower).  Time will tell but Cuonzo hasn't done much outside of the Porter hire to instill confidence (in me) that they will rise again any time shortly.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Your definition of "traditional power" seems a little off from my definition of traditional power.  Mizzou vacated all wins from their 2013-14 season and Frank Haith was let go. Short of catching lightning in the Porter family bottle, they've been relatively irrelevant since.  It is not unfathomable for a #95 team to exceed expectations and go higher (or lower).  Time will tell but Cuonzo hasn't done much outside of the Porter hire to instill confidence (in me) that they will rise again any time shortly.

I think he's being sarcastic, Taj.

Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Your definition of "traditional power" seems a little off from my definition of traditional power.  Mizzou vacated all wins from their 2013-14 season and Frank Haith was let go. Short of catching lightning in the Porter family bottle, they've been relatively irrelevant since.  It is not unfathomable for a #95 team to exceed expectations and go higher (or lower).  Time will tell but Cuonzo hasn't done much outside of the Porter hire to instill confidence (in me) that they will rise again any time shortly.

Yeah, he said "annual powerhouse". That should have been a clue that sarcasm was intended.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, White Pelican said:

Yeah, he said "annual powerhouse". That should have been a clue that sarcasm was intended.

Taj, Sorry, I thought sarcasm was pretty obvious, but I should have used blue font or included a winking smiley face

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey, thanks guys.  I was kind of being sarcastic back without knowing the intended sarcasm. So all good here.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Another Big East school enters the top 144 list.  This time it is Providence at # 46, which leaves only 4 Big East schools out of their 11 as higher than # 46.  The 7 teams that have already been ranked are some traditionally solid programs; Nova (likely top 5 in the country); Creighton, UCONN and Seton Hall.   Nice to come in higher than school like X, Butler, Georgetown, Marquette and Providence.  Of course, then there is DePaul, the Fordham of the Big East

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/14/2020 at 11:00 AM, slu72 said:

My guess is we will be in the 39-35 grouping. UR will be ranked a little lower. Which I don't get since we waxed them on their home court last year and both teams haven't changed except we improved our bench with the addition of Linssen and have Jimerson and Thatch back at full speed. Any Loretsson sightings? 

72, your projection is better than mine.  I recently had us as in the 43-46 range and the top 144 countdown is now at #42.  Interestingly, teams just ranked are listed as going to the NCAA so I would guess they will predict the same thing for us.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think we will come in at #36 which is within the next seven days.  I think they will list Richmond at #25 ..... which I don't agree with but nobody asked me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Taj79 said:

I think we will come in at #36 which is within the next seven days.  I think they will list Richmond at #25 ..... which I don't agree with but nobody asked me.

Taj, getting close to your prediction.  Last 6 teams all out of P6 Conferences, Colorado today at #41. 

Who says we can't compete with the "big boys?" 

Fr B would be proud and happy as we overshoot his Top 50 dream!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bauman said:

Taj, getting close to your prediction.  Last 6 teams all out of P6 Conferences, Colorado today at #41. 

Who says we can't compete with the "big boys?" 

Fr B would be proud and happy as we overshoot his Top 50 dream!

All of these preseason polls are nice conversation material.  But why not talk about it. 

Strictly looking at the Top 144 Bracketology, I would like the Bills to be in the next 3 selections.  Why?  Those are 10 seeds in their bracket.  Ten seeds play 7 seeds, with the winner likely playing a 2 seed.  Eight and 9 seeds play each other and then the survivor gets a #1 seed.  The difference between 10's and 7's are usually small, so why not wish for a better second round matchup. None of this matters at this point, so why not look at numerical matchups.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

All of these preseason polls are nice conversation material.  But why not talk about it. 

Strictly looking at the Top 144 Bracketology, I would like the Bills to be in the next 3 selections.  Why?  Those are 10 seeds in their bracket.  Ten seeds play 7 seeds, with the winner likely playing a 2 seed.  Eight and 9 seeds play each other and then the survivor gets a #1 seed.  The difference between 10's and 7's are usually small, so why not wish for a better second round matchup. None of this matters at this point, so why not look at numerical matchups.

That sounds like a good place to land

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

All of these preseason polls are nice conversation material.  But why not talk about it. 

Strictly looking at the Top 144 Bracketology, I would like the Bills to be in the next 3 selections.  Why?  Those are 10 seeds in their bracket.  Ten seeds play 7 seeds, with the winner likely playing a 2 seed.  Eight and 9 seeds play each other and then the survivor gets a #1 seed.  The difference between 10's and 7's are usually small, so why not wish for a better second round matchup. None of this matters at this point, so why not look at numerical matchups.

We are going to at least be a five seed.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...