OT: MLS Announcement Tuesday: GOOOOOOL for STL.

55 minutes ago, SLU let the dogs out?! said:

Liverpool and Man City would’ve been too easy to pick, 

Understandable now, but in 2006/7 when I was picking a club, Chelsea and Manchester United would have been the easy ones to pick. I chose Liverpool, or maybe they chose me.

A game at Anfield is high on my sports bucket list, but it hasn’t happened yet. Been to one game in Europe...Bayern Munich-Augsburg at the Allianz.

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, Littlebill said:

They aren’t finishing above City and will only be above Liverpool if VVD misses time

Liverpool was far too lucky this year on two scales. 1) they had the highest rated “luck” of any PL team since the data for that started. Really not sure what goes into that, I’m sure it’s like the same as luck for kenpom. 2) no way Liverpool gets as lucky on injuries again next year. 

48 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Liverpool was far too lucky this year on two scales. 1) they had the highest rated “luck” of any PL team since the data for that started. Really not sure what goes into that, I’m sure it’s like the same as luck for kenpom. 2) no way Liverpool gets as lucky on injuries again next year. 

Luck or not, Liverpool outpaced Man U and Chelsea by 33 points and likely would've created a bigger gap if anyone really challenged them. It's hard to imagine Liverpool below 80 points next season. On the other hand, 80 points seems like a realistic ceiling for Chelsea (who I thoroughly enjoy watching). 

10 hours ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

Understandable now, but in 2006/7 when I was picking a club, Chelsea and Manchester United would have been the easy ones to pick. I chose Liverpool, or maybe they chose me.

A game at Anfield is high on my sports bucket list, but it hasn’t happened yet. Been to one game in Europe...Bayern Munich-Augsburg at the Allianz.

A good friend of mine when I was living in LA was originally from Chelsea so I sort of became a Chelsea fan back in 2006/7. Another factor that ended up making my decision easy. 

Only match I've ever seen in person was Fulham vs Crystal Palace at Craven Cottage back in late December of 2004. That was a really cool experience made even better by the fact that  both McBride and Bocanegra were on that team. I can't imagine what it would be like to see a Man City v Chelsea/Liverpool game in person! 

11 hours ago, SLU let the dogs out?! said:

Are you a Man City fan or Chelsea fan? I finally got back into the Premier League this season after a cool decade of not watching. I made the decision to watch as many teams as possible this year and then pick a team to follow. Would’ve been Fulham (saw McBride and Bocanegra play at Craven Cottage back in 2004) but it appears they were relegated a few yeas back. I won’t get into reasoning but after careful consideration I think I’m going with Chelsea. 

Fulham play today against Cardiff. If they win today and beat Brentford next week they will be back in the Premier League.

58 minutes ago, BilliesBy40 said:

Luck or not, Liverpool outpaced Man U and Chelsea by 33 points and likely would've created a bigger gap if anyone really challenged them. It's hard to imagine Liverpool below 80 points next season. On the other hand, 80 points seems like a realistic ceiling for Chelsea (who I thoroughly enjoy watching). 

What’s your outlook for Arsenal next season?  I’m asking for a friend, since I don’t follow soccer?

4 minutes ago, CenHudDude said:

What’s your outlook for Arsenal next season?  I’m asking for a friend, since I don’t follow soccer?

They'll be better next year. Arteta's masterclass against City showed me he's the real deal. They need to spend to shore up the defense, and could also use some help in midfield, but they'll be better next season and should challenge for top 4. The 2-8 places will be getting a lot better before next season. Chelsea and City have already spent to plug up their holes and I expect United to do the same.

3 minutes ago, CenHudDude said:

5-7th, although I like how their youth played at the end. 

1 hour ago, BilliesBy40 said:

I have a hard time seeing any team above 93 points next year.  The gaps will obviously be much closer next year.  

16 minutes ago, Speyburn said:

Fulham play today against Cardiff. If they win today and beat Brentford next week they will be back in the Premier League.

FREAL?! Wow, I had no idea how promotion worked. If I read it right just now it looks like Leeds and West Brom will be promoted since they finished 1 & 2 respectively. Teams 3-6 play in tournament to decide 3rd spot?

Thanks for the heads up on this! Hopefully I can find this game on tv...

2 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

FREAL?! Wow, I had no idea how promotion worked. If I read it right just now it looks like Leeds and West Brom will be promoted since they finished 1 & 2 respectively. Teams 3-6 play in tournament to decide 3rd spot?

yep.

So happy for Leeds, anyone watch Leeds docu on amazon?  Really good. 

BilliesBy40 likes this

43 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

ESPN+, 1:40 p.m

Where did all of you folk watch the Premier games before the corolla virus hit? Comfort of your own home? That's generally where I watched the games.  @wgstl is there anywhere close to us that has a decent set up for maximum soccer viewing? Not a big fan of Llywelyn's tv set up. 

16 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Where did all of you folk watch the Premier games before the corolla virus hit? Comfort of your own home? That's generally where I watched the games.  @wgstl is there anywhere close to us that has a decent set up for maximum soccer viewing? Not a big fan of Llywelyn's tv set up. 

Amsterdam Tavern is by far the best place to watch in stl

13 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Not by us other than Llywelyn's.  Im always at Amsterdam for 75% of games. 

I get it why EPL is more popular in the US.  English language and bigger stars.  But Bundesliga is the more exciting style play with the up and coming stars there's quite a few Americans too.  Fox Sports covers it pretty well and I like Alexi Lalas ever since I was in HS and he was on USMNT.

I do think MLS would benefit from what all the other leagues in the world have, relegation.  It is exciting at the top to see who will win and you're still invested if you're a fan of a bottom team because you want to avoid relegation.  Plus the champions leagues add intrigue to see teams play against outside teams. MLS and Liga MX have Campeones Cup but maybe that should be expanded.

Furthermore, maybe we'll see increased coverage of the US Open Cup.  Multi-league open championships can be fun for fans of small teams. 

7 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

I get it why EPL is more popular in the US.  English language and bigger stars.  But Bundesliga is the more exciting style play with the up and coming stars there's quite a few Americans too.  Fox Sports covers it pretty well and I like Alexi Lalas ever since I was in HS and he was on USMNT.

I do think MLS would benefit from what all the other leagues in the world have, relegation.  It is exciting at the top to see who will win and you're still invested if you're a fan of a bottom team because you want to avoid relegation.  Plus the champions leagues add intrigue to see teams play against outside teams. MLS and Liga MX have Campeones Cup but maybe that should be expanded.

Furthermore, maybe we'll see increased coverage of the US Open Cup.  Multi-league open championships can be fun for fans of small teams. 

I'm a STH at STL FC and Open Cup games are awesome. Definitely my favorites on the schedule. There's also CONCACAF Champions League whcih bring tema sform Canada, Caribbean and Central America. (Obviously) Our version of UEFA's. It's decent entertainment, but its been in preseason for US teams so they never do well.

32 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

+1. Relegation is the best feature in sports. It'll never happen in the U.S., which is unfortunate. 

26 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

I do think MLS would benefit from what all the other leagues in the world have, relegation.  

I am in adamant disagreement about this position, and believe it is fool's gold perpetuated by insecure US fan's who are commonly referred to as "relegation truthers." I have yet to see any valid data or argument that shows how it will help the league and growth to trade a team owned by billionaires in Orlando, San Jose, Philly, or--what would have been the case in 2017--DC United or LA Galaxy for teams owned by less financially viable owners in places like Ottawa, Charleston, etc. Plus, it disincents wealthy American owners from investing in teams. The real opportunity for MLS is to eventually lessen the absurd salary limitations and rules so that ambitious teams and owners can truly compete in the global market for top talent. It is the real chicken and again paradox for the league; they cannot secure a top TV deal unless they have a product with top talent, but they are not willing to less than salary restrictions and invest in top talent unless and until they have top TV money. At some point, one of the US networks and the league are going to have to align on a plan that will pay top fees for TV with some kind of conditions that a huge percentage of it will be reinvested in dramatically upgrading the player pool. When that happens, this league has a chance to be top 5 globally.

8 minutes ago, BilliesBy40 said:

+1. Relegation is the best feature in sports. It'll never happen in the U.S., which is unfortunate. 

Really? The most exciting thing in sports was deciding which 3 of the 4 were worst among Aston Villa, Bournemouth, Watford, and Norwich City? Or whether Leeds or Brentfor was going up? This is truly romancing of something that has zero impact on the actual quality of the league? Fun fact -- a promoted team has never won the EPL.

7 minutes ago, davidnark said:

Really? The most exciting thing in sports was deciding which 3 of the 4 were worst among Aston Villa, Bournemouth, Watford, and Norwich City? Or whether Leeds or Brentfor was going up? This is truly romancing of something that has zero impact on the actual quality of the league? Fun fact -- a promoted team has never won the EPL.

IMO having 30-40 teams split into two leagues with relegation is better than 30ish team in one league with no repercussion for performing poorly. The last 5 games of the EPL season were entertaining for two reasons alone: (1) fight for the top 4; and (2) fight to avoid relegation.

The fact you cited is somewhat irrelevant to the point, although Leicester City proved a quick ascent is possible and incredibly entertaining.

BTW, I'm not arguing relegation would rapidly increase the MLS' popularity. Rather, I think it is a far superior structure across sports for a variety of reasons. 

2 minutes ago, davidnark said:

Fun fact -- a promoted team has never won the EPL.

I’m assuming you mean that a promoted team has never won the EPL in their first year after promotion? Because I think Leicester City won in their 2nd year, 3rd at most, after promotion. If you’re saying no team that ever had to get promoted to reach the EPL in the Premier League era has won a title, I’d cite Leicester City, and I think Manchester City was relegated and regained promotion at least once in the PL era.

I agree though that while it’s an interesting aspect of European leagues, relegation is a very questionable concept in MLS.

45 minutes ago, BilliesBy40 said:

IMO having 30-40 teams split into two leagues with relegation is better than 30ish team in one league with no repercussion for performing poorly. The last 5 games of the EPL season were entertaining for two reasons alone: (1) fight for the top 4; and (2) fight to avoid relegation.

The fact you cited is somewhat irrelevant to the point, although Leicester City proved a quick ascent is possible and incredibly entertaining.

BTW, I'm not arguing relegation would rapidly increase the MLS' popularity. Rather, I think it is a far superior structure across sports for a variety of reasons. 

You said it was the best feature in sports - which is preposterous. Its not even the best in soccer.

1 hour ago, BilliesBy40 said:

I'd agree. Keeps teams from tanking. Adds interest and stakes to games/ teams that are at the bottom of the table. Really really wish MLS would take something like this but it'll never happen.

6 minutes ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

I'd agree. Keeps teams from tanking. Adds interest and stakes to games/ teams that are at the bottom of the table. Really really wish MLS would take something like this but it'll never happen.

I love the idea of it being in the MLS, but I 100% understand why owners wouldn't want it.  I'd be the same way.