Madness Comes to the A10

Taj79

With the close of February, here are the current A10 standings:

1) VCU                 13 -  2

2) Davidson          11 - 4 (Second seed due to beating VCU)

3) Dayton             11 - 4

4) Mason             10 -  5 (Fourth due to split with Bonaventure and beating Dayton)

5) Bonaventure    10 -  5

6) Duquesne          9 -  6

7) Saint Louis         8 -  7

8) La Salle              7 -  8

9) Rh. Island           6  -  9 (Beat Richmond head-to-head)

10) Richmond         6  -  9

11) St. Joes            5  - 10

12) Geedubya        4  -  11

13) Umass              3  -  12

14) Fordham          2  -  13

If the season ended today the PIG would be St. Joes' vs. Fordham and Geedubya vs. Umass.  After that it would be Bonaventure vs. the St. Joe's Fordham winner; Duquesne versus the Geeduby/.Umass winner; Saint Louis versus Richmond and La Salle against Rhode Island.  As the seventh seed, we'd find ourselves up against Davidson in a Friday game.  More to follow .....

I always fail when I do this next part because I never see the upsets coming.  But who has what left.  All with three games to play.

VCU:  @ Richmond; @ Mason; and St. Joe's.  The game at Richmond is always tough, ditto at Mason.  This could be a 3 and 0 run or a 1 and 2 finish. So 16 - 2 or 14 - 4. Still tops.

Davidson: Fordham; Bonaventure; and @ Richmond.  I think the Mildcats will sweep here and go to 14 and 4.  Last night's loss hurt..  Still top four.

Dayton:  Rhode Island; La Salle; and @ Duquesne. Dayton likely protects the home floor and finishes no worse than 13 and 5. 

Mason: @ Saint Louis; VCU; and @ Geedubya.  I think a 1 and 2 finish and 11 - 7 overall. 

Bonaventure: @Geedubya; @ Davidson; and Saint Louis.  I got this as 2 and 1 but would love a DC upset.  Barring that, 12 and 6.

Duquesne: Umass; @ Saint Louis; and Dayton.  I see a 2 and 1 here also.  Losing to us but beating Umass and Dayton.  Need a loss to Dayton to drop it to 10 and 8.

Saint Louis: Mason, Duquesne; and @ Bonaventure.  Wins at home; loss in the great white north means 10 and 8 and a tie with Duquesne gives us the win due to sweeping La Salle.

La Salle: @ St. Joe's; @ Dayton; and Fordham.  A 1 and 2 finish means 8 and 10.  But they could upset at St. joe's.  Playing well right now.

Rhode Island:  @ Dayton; @ St. Joes; and Umass. A 2 and 1 finish means also 8 and 10. 

Richmond: VCU; @Umass; and Davidson.  Could be an 0 and 3 finish and an end to the Mooney era.  Bets luck for a 2 and 1 close out.  Either 6 and 12 or 8 and 10.

St. Joe's: La Salle; Rhode Island; and @ VCU.  Might be one win in here.  Besy is 6 and 12.

Geedubya :Bonaventure; @ Fordham; and Mason.  Look sliek a goose egg for a 4 and 14 mark. 

Umass: @ Duquesne; Richmond; and @ Rhode Island.  Could win one with Richmond.  4 and 14.

Fordham: @ Davidson; Geedubya; and @ La Salle.  Maybe a win hosting Geedubya.  3 and 15. 

Analysis:  I believe the top three spots are locked right now what with records and games remaining.  Those will be VCU, Davidson and Dayton.  Our best finish can only be 11 and 7.  That means Mason (2),  Bonaventure (2) and Duquesne (1) all must lose some games.  Winning out equals total progress; controlling what we can control.  That means we root for VCU against Mason and Davidson against Bonaventure.  We could also root for Dayton against Duquesne as well.

14 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

I always fail when I do this next part because I never see the upsets coming.  But who has what left.  All with three games to play.

VCU:  @ Richmond; @ Mason; and St. Joe's.  The game at Richmond is always tough, ditto at Mason.  This could be a 3 and 0 run or a 1 and 2 finish. So 16 - 2 or 14 - 4. Still tops.

Davidson: Fordham; Bonaventure; and @ Richmond.  I think the Mildcats will sweep here and go to 14 and 4.  Last night's loss hurt..  Still top four.

Dayton:  Rhode Island; La Salle; and @ Duquesne. Dayton likely protects the home floor and finishes no worse than 13 and 5. 

Mason: @ Saint Louis; VCU; and @ Geedubya.  I think a 1 and 2 finish and 11 - 7 overall. 

Bonaventure: @Geedubya; @ Davidson; and Saint Louis.  I got this as 2 and 1 but would love a DC upset.  Barring that, 12 and 6.

Duquesne: Umass; @ Saint Louis; and Dayton.  I see a 2 and 1 here also.  Losing to us but beating Umass and Dayton.  Need a loss to Dayton to drop it to 10 and 8.

Saint Louis: Mason, Duquesne; and @ Bonaventure.  Wins at home; loss in the great white north means 10 and 8 and a tie with Duquesne gives us the win due to sweeping La Salle.

La Salle: @ St. Joe's; @ Dayton; and Fordham.  A 1 and 2 finish means 8 and 10.  But they could upset at St. joe's.  Playing well right now.

Rhode Island:  @ Dayton; @ St. Joes; and Umass. A 2 and 1 finish means also 8 and 10. 

Richmond: VCU; @Umass; and Davidson.  Could be an 0 and 3 finish and an end to the Mooney era.  Bets luck for a 2 and 1 close out.  Either 6 and 12 or 8 and 10.

St. Joe's: La Salle; Rhode Island; and @ VCU.  Might be one win in here.  Besy is 6 and 12.

Geedubya :Bonaventure; @ Fordham; and Mason.  Look sliek a goose egg for a 4 and 14 mark. 

Umass: @ Duquesne; Richmond; and @ Rhode Island.  Could win one with Richmond.  4 and 14.

Fordham: @ Davidson; Geedubya; and @ La Salle.  Maybe a win hosting Geedubya.  3 and 15. 

whatever it takes to at least avoid 8th or 9th seed.  selfishly airport to hotel to arena likely not in time to watch that game on Thursday.   

That's sports -- sometimes you're the windshield, others the bug.  What La Salle did to Davidson last night was also amazing.  Without Pookie Powell and without Jack Clark, La Salle was up the entire game by mostly double digits enroute to a 79 to 69 win that wasn't that close.  Isiah Deas had a career high 25 and Traci Carter added a career-high 24.  La Salle fell two threes short of a season high by making 13 of them.  The held Grady to 2 points in the first half but he finished with 21.  His 19 second half points were only two less than the rest of his team contributed that half.  Davidson again got almost nothing off their bench,  Given Davidson's weak closing schedule, this loss really hurts  if VCU loses two of their closing three.  But I doubt that happens.

Here is our pathway to a Top Four finish.  It is pretty simple.  First and foremost, we need to win out.  3-0 and finish 11-7.

Duquesne, which may have lost Carry for the run, needs to lose 2 of 3.  We beat them, then they only have to lose one more. The possible loss would be Dayton at home.  Senior night for seldom used Zack Snyder.  Final line is 10-8.

George Mason,  again we beat them and they need to lose one more.  They have VCU at home.  That is the possible loss for a 11-7 line.

St. Bonaventure, again we beat them and they need to lose one more game.  They go to Davidson.  That is their possible loss and they finish 11-7.  St. Bonnie is hot right now and this is the weak spot in the scenario.  This will be Senior Night at Davidson, but they only have one senior, Ekwu who has played in 12 games this season.  Probably won't be a lot of emotion in the building.  Perhaps some graduating cheerleaders will stir up the crowd. 

Oh, by the way, we are 0-8 in our last 8 games with St. Bonaventure.....not a problem, right?  

This scenario puts us in a three way with GM and St. Bonaventure.  We have W's over both, hence the tie breakers fall out way.  

With our January loss at Duquesne, should they be involved in a four way tie, the tie breakers are still not finalized.  It would be best for the Bills if the Dukes go 1-2, or 0-3 and finish below the Bills.  

50 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Down goes Dayton!!!!! An upset to start March.  Rhode Island wins 72 to 70 in OT at Dayton.  

This was pretty much a two on two game. Langevine (26P and 8R) and Russell (23P and 5A) huge for Rhody and Toppin (26P and 11R with 7A) and Mikesell (23P and 11R) huge for Dayton.  Both teams played seven the entire way.  Dayton came out sluggish in the first half and spent a lot of energy catching up in the second half.  

Game really wasn't important to our quest for Top Four.  Before this game, Dayton could see the NCAA bubble, but it is out of sight now.

This game did convince me that the A10 will get a second bid.  VCU will secure an At Large, but I am predicting, won't win the A10 Tourney.  Too many teams are hitting their stroke late in the season.

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

This game did convince me that the A10 will get a second bid.  VCU will secure an At Large, but I am predicting, won't win the A10 Tourney.  Too many teams are hitting their stroke late in the season.

The Saint Louis Billikens will win the 2019 A-10 Tournament.  You read it here first.

3 hours ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

The Saint Louis Billikens will win the 2019 A-10 Tournament.  You read it here first.

We do get some depth back (Wiley, Jacobs, Hankton, and possibly Welmer), so I can see us getting hot and having a chance to get a double bye and obtain some confidence, so let’s not give up hope yet. Ford can still whip something up. Let’s start with a win at home tomorrow 

The three games vital to the Top Four race finished as predicted.  We drew George Mason one game closer, and cemented a favorable tie breaker should be end up deadlocked.  Now we need VCU to beat them at Fairfax.  VCU cannot afford an L to assure their At Large. 

Duquesne stayed one game up, but they will be even with us after they go down Wednesday at the Fetz.

St.Bonaventure stayed two games up.  They need to cooperate by taking an L next week at Davidson.

The only thing settled is that with the win we are now eliminated from the PIG!!

Why is no one talking about the A10 chaos scenario?

Dayton (11-7): loses vLaSalle and @Duquense 

St Bona (11-7): loses @Davidson and vSLU 

Duquense (11-7): loses @SLU and wins vDayton

GMason (11-7): loses v. VCU and wins @GW

SLU (11-7): win v. Duquesne and @Boma

5 way tie for the 3-7 seeds

How would the tiebreaker work? Best overall record vs the tied opponents.

Dayton: 3-3

Bona: 3-3

Dukes: 3-4

GMaso : 2-3

SLU: 4-2

That would mean SLU gets the 3 seed.

Next—

Dayton 2-2

Bona 3-2

Dukes 2-3

Patriots 2-2

That would mean Bona gets the last double bye

Next—

Dayton 1-2

Dukes 2-1

Mason 1-1

Duquesne is number 5

Final tiebreaker is Dayton v Mason

Dayton 0-1

Mason 1-0

Mason gets the 6 

Final Standings (1-7 seeds):

1. VCU 

2. Davidson

3. SLU (go Bills)

4. St Bonaventure

5. Duquense

6. George Mason

7. Dayton (wow)

We want Chaos!!!

(Also that took a long time to figure out so it better happen)

5 hours ago, BillsBeliever!!! said:

Why is no one talking about the A10 chaos scenario?

Dayton (11-7): loses vLaSalle and @Duquense 

St Bona (11-7): loses @Davidson and vSLU 

Duquense (11-7): loses @SLU and wins vDayton

GMason (11-7): loses v. VCU and wins @GW

SLU (11-7): win v. Duquesne and @Boma

5 way tie for the 3-7 seeds

How would the tiebreaker work? Best overall record vs the tied opponents.

Dayton: 3-3

Bona: 3-3

Dukes: 3-4

GMaso : 2-3

SLU: 4-2

That would mean SLU gets the 3 seed.

Next—

Dayton 2-2

Bona 3-2

Dukes 2-3

Patriots 2-2

That would mean Bona gets the last double bye

Next—

Dayton 1-2

Dukes 2-1

Mason 1-1

Duquesne is number 5

Final tiebreaker is Dayton v Mason

Dayton 0-1

Mason 1-0

Mason gets the 6 

Final Standings (1-7 seeds):

1. VCU 

2. Davidson

3. SLU (go Bills)

4. St Bonaventure

5. Duquense

6. George Mason

7. Dayton (wow)

We want Chaos!!!

(Also that took a long time to figure out so it better happen)

Lots of ifs. And I highly doubt Dayton loses to LaSalle at home. So, I'll concede 3 to UD. It's coming down to a battle for the 4 spot. I could see us winning out, which we must do, although Olean has not been kind to the Billikens. If we play like yesterday for 40 minutes and not play not to lose in the last 5 minutes, we could finally nail a W at the North Pole. Of course, I'm assuming the W at home against DU is a lock. Probably not, but probability should be very high. Bonnies have a tough finish in front of them. Same for DU. Mason could conceivably go 2-0, although, VCU will likely be favored.

1 hour ago, brownindians said:

Welcome back the person that bad posted you probably does not know who you are.

Coach Schmidt has done another great job with your team.

We are due for a win up there and need it go Bills.

55 minutes ago, CBFan said:

Welcome back the person that bad posted you probably does not know who you are.

Coach Schmidt has done another great job with your team.

We are due for a win up there and need it go Bills.

Yes, Schmidt has done a very nice job at Olean.  They started off the year crippled by injury, but that allowed some quality PT for freshmen.  That is paying off now.

We are 0-8 in last eight against St. Bonaventure at any site.  We are DUE, big time DUE.

1 minute ago, HoosierPal said:

We are 0-8 in last eight against St. Bonaventure at any site.  We are DUE, big time DUE.

Even though SBU is hot right now I feel good about are chances if we have 9 players available, that is a big if.

Jacobs is such a mystery I hope he stays and he realizes even though Yuri Collins is coming that he has a year of college and should have a chance to start at the point next season.

How big are Jordan Goodwin's two clunker free throws against Davidson and the complete loss meltdown to Richmond now?  Wouldn't wrap things up but would he huge.

40 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

How big are Jordan Goodwin's two clunker free throws against Davidson and the complete loss meltdown to Richmond now?  Wouldn't wrap things up but would he huge.

Every team in the league has these what if scenarios.  Play better on offense in general and you don't have these problems.  We lost these games in the offseason.  When Coach Ford was lamenting how far behind we were on offense that should have been a hint.

Coach's radio remarks that "this offseason is going to be big for Jordan and Hasahn" were not just an observation but a challenge.  These guys can't come in next year putting up the same numbers they have for the first two seasons.  They're more talented than that.  It's time to take it to the next level.

billiken_roy likes this

Agree 3-star.  Did not hear any radio waves so that news is good reckoning for me. This is the same mantra I echo when dealing with referee calls .....be in a position where the ref can't affect the outcome.  Easier said than done.

The title of this thread was done tongue-in-cheek.  It is madness because going back as far as Atlantic City, I have been trying to see who we play, when we play and so on.  The projections/predicitons always fail because of scenarios like Rhodey beating Dayton Friday night.  By now, everyone in the league knows what you are going to do and who you are.  It becomes games of punch/counterpunch.  Unless some deadbeat like Marcus Bartley goes 8-for-9 from three once in his life and shocks you.

33 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Those were two miserable games because of the outcome.

We would have the 20 win season, winning record in the A10 and double bye milestones.  We have a chance still to hit all 3.