Officiating, What do you suggest?

HoosierPal

2 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

This would be one of the interesting questions to ask in the aforementioned 24 hour interviews.  Why did you wait?  Did the making of the basket influence your decision?

thats the same as stealing a point from the offense imo.  

I watch a lot of basketball and the A10 refs are the worst.  My guess is because the A10 is more athletic than any other non-power 7 conference and the game is too fast for that level of ref.  On top of that SLU gets screwed more than any school I've ever seen.  I have nothing to back this up but could Bob Ramsey be an issue?

8 minutes ago, TJHawk said:

I watch a lot of basketball and the A10 refs are the worst.  My guess is because the A10 is more athletic than any other non-power 7 conference and the game is too fast for that level of ref.  On top of that SLU gets screwed more than any school I've ever seen.  I have nothing to back this up but could Bob Ramsey be an issue?

Whoa, whoa, let's not go there.

image.png.0fe021b6d66b7cbeb61e4120f8e8459b.png

18 minutes ago, TJHawk said:

On top of that *my program* gets screwed more than any school I've ever seen.

I am sure you would hear this from fans of almost any program not named Kansas or Duke.

The officiating in college basketball is trash and unfortunately we seem to have been on the wrong end of it far to frequently this season.

4 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

I am sure you would hear this from fans of almost any program not named Duke.

The officiating in college basketball is trash and unfortunately we seem to have been on the wrong end of it far to frequently this season.

Fixed it for you.

35 minutes ago, TJHawk said:

I don’t think most A-10 refs are exclusive to the A-10. One of the guys we have had several times was doing the Duke game. Bring back Steve Welmer,Tom O’Neil and number one Ron Zetcher. 

7 minutes ago, willie said:

I don’t think most A-10 refs are exclusive to the A-10. One of the guys we have had several times was doing the Duke game. Bring back Steve Welmer,Tom O’Neil and number one Ron Zetcher. 

Yep. Pretty sure a10 shares refs with one of the power 6 conferences. I want to say ACC because of east coast but could be wrong. They are shared though but I can't find anything on the Google machine.  

43 minutes ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

Yep. Pretty sure a10 shares refs with one of the power 6 conferences. I want to say ACC because of east coast but could be wrong. They are shared though but I can't find anything on the Google machine.  

The consortium managed by the ACC and Big East that also includes the A10, Colonial, Big South, MEAC, Ivy and Patriot.

-it is a difficult job to be a ref, no doubt, but why would someone want to do this to have CFord or Izzo or K or others going beserk in their ear? so my first item would be coaches can coach their team all they want but leave the refs alone, none of this 'working the ref' crap, that would be over, and when coaches get ejected and fined perhaps they comply

-a foul is a foul two seconds into the game or with two seconds left in the game, call the rules as they are, if you don't like the rules as written then change the rule

-imo basketball is a game of finesse, movement and skill not who is stronger and can shove/shiver/push/pull or otherwise contact the other team

-to cut down on physical play I eliminate the hand check, it is a big advantage for the defense and by definition it increases the physical contact of the game

-eliminate the padding the players wear under their uniforms, part of my goal is to get rid of the physical play and most won't be as physical if the pads are removed

-establish a pool of funds, I haven't given thought to the source, and every game a ref is evaluated and bad calls reduce their share of the pool, heck some refs might have to pay into the pool some games

1 hour ago, Cowboy said:

-it is a difficult job to be a ref, no doubt, but why would someone want to do this to have CFord or Izzo or K or others going beserk in their ear? so my first item would be coaches can coach their team all they want but leave the refs alone, none of this 'working the ref' crap, that would be over, and when coaches get ejected and fined perhaps they comply

-a foul is a foul two seconds into the game or with two seconds left in the game, call the rules as they are, if you don't like the rules as written then change the rule

-imo basketball is a game of finesse, movement and skill not who is stronger and can shove/shiver/push/pull or otherwise contact the other team

-to cut down on physical play I eliminate the hand check, it is a big advantage for the defense and by definition it increases the physical contact of the game

-eliminate the padding the players wear under their uniforms, part of my goal is to get rid of the physical play and most won't be as physical if the pads are removed

-establish a pool of funds, I haven't given thought to the source, and every game a ref is evaluated and bad calls reduce their share of the pool, heck some refs might have to pay into the pool some games

Good post Cowboy Bob Huggins comes to my mind of a crybaby that works the refs, stop this immediately coaches stay off the floor and stop working the refs.

I know coach Fords is on the floor all of time and he should not be when the players are playing only after stoppage.

2 hours ago, CBFan said:

Good post Cowboy Bob Huggins comes to my mind of a crybaby that works the refs, stop this immediately coaches stay off the floor and stop working the refs.

I know coach Fords is on the floor all of time and he should not be when the players are playing only after stoppage.

As I said earlier in this tread coaches should be told to shut up. You don’t see the nba coaches yelling and screaming at every call. Under no circumstance should they be allowed on the floor. Step on the floor T. Cross the coaches line T. Get them out of the refs ear and the ensuing make up call. 

CBFan and HoosierPal like this

My dad was a ref and I have stated many times I would not want to do it.  I am still amazed at the size of the players that I witnessed on press row at an old CUSA tournament in Birmingham.  That was UAB and Louisville.  It is complete mayhem out there and three sets of eyes can't see everything.  If you are the ref and one big man goes up against another for a hook shot, you are likely looking at the ball and hand to see the release and if it was affected.  You are not watching the hand-checking and body contact down low.  So you naturally miss that.  Everything is perception over reality.  Watch how many times Otis Livingstone throws his head back on the dribble Saturday afternoon.  It's an act but what does the ref see? That one pisses me off more than anything.  Second is the scissors kick for the foul on the three.  And the sliding under for the charge ala Evans. 

In my opinion, the offensive player has a right to land.  If he is in the air, anybody moving in gets called for a block.  Call every push off with the off arm.  Call every clutch and grab.  Call things that affect the ability to score while shooting .. the hacked elbow, the hand slapped, the head jolted.  Ignore follow through fouls like the scissors kick.  That contact had little to do with the actual shot.  I don't believe for one minute Schmidt's antics up and down the bench at Bonaventure mean anything to his team.  It's a show.  Sit them all down.  Shorten the coach's box.  Reposition the refs on free throws ---- they don't have to stand right by the coach, do they?  Put that ref in the center court jump ball area.  Widen the court and maybe widen the lane.  The length is fine and the basket height is fine.  Go wider.  Kids will adjust ..... but the issue will always be human consistency.  And of course human perception.  Sight lines.  Fields of vision.  Human error cannot  be eliminated so I'd look for consistency --- which will also be hard to achieve. 

I too say get rid of the pads.  I'd also like to see all the sleeves and leotards go as well.  But that's a different conversation.  I don't believe for on eminute all those kids have any sort of medical issue whatsoever.

HoosierPal likes this