OT: FBI Arrests NCAAB Asst. Coaches

slufan13

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lamont Evans was not at Oklahoma State with Travis Ford. When Ford as at OKSt, Lamont was working at South Carolina and Kansas State with Frank Martin. 

And I can't believe the Rifleman got caught up. Of course he works with another frequent flier, Bruce Pearl. 

billikens747 likes this

14 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

Lamont Evans was not at Oklahoma State with Travis Ford. When Ford as at OKSt, Lamont was working at South Carolina and Kansas State with Frank Martin. 

And I can't believe the Rifleman got caught up. Of course he works with another frequent flier, Bruce Pearl. 

Other two schools are USC and ZONA. Shocking 

53 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

https://www.justice.gov/usao-sdny/press-release/file/998746/download

Attorney translation? I read this as 50k and 15k have exchanged hands between Person and someone...

The government has always looked the other way with college sports, having the opinion that fighting corruption and stopping the practice of recruits getting paid bribes wasn't worth investigating and prosecuting.  Now, it appears that may have changed.  Any charges brought will cause coaches and assistant coaches to question whether they want to face prison time to move up in the college sports coaching world.  I believe that this could only be a good thing.

3 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

So this apparently stems a lot from adidas. Adidas apparently paid money to kids to go to adidas schools with the promise that they'd sign with adidas after they turned pro, if I am understanding things correctly. 

It looks like they might not have been charged if they were not on the staff of a public university.  

3 minutes ago, brianstl said:

It looks like they might not have been charged if they were not on the staff of a public university.  

From my mediocre interpretation, that is what i got as well. The idea that they worked for a public university that received over X amount of federal dollars opened it up. 

36 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

So this apparently stems a lot from adidas. Adidas apparently paid money to kids to go to adidas schools with the promise that they'd sign with adidas after they turned pro, if I am understanding things correctly. 

Adidas is alleged to have paid the coaches as well--they were arrested for receiving bribes.

This scandal has many tentacles (one Nike person arrested as well) and one relates to SLU.  Also arrested today is Jonathan Augustine who runs the Central Florida Basketball Academy (league/instruction).  Adonys Henriquez is listed as former alumni as are several NBA/NCAA players--not sure who Augustine is alleged to be taking/receiving money for.

http://www.cflbasketball.com/alumni/

2 minutes ago, kwyjibo said:

This scandal has many tentacles and one relates to SLU.  Also arrested today is Jonathan Augustine who runs the Central Florida Basketball Academy (league/instruction).  Adonys Henriquez is listed as former alumni as are several NBA/NCAA players--not sure who Augustine is alleged to be taking money for.

http://www.cflbasketball.com/alumni/

This is a good day for SLU so far 

4 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

This is a good day for SLU so far 

Sorry.  There is a tangential link to SLU but Jonathan Augustine was arrested relating to being a bag man for Adidas and getting Brian Bowen to Louisville.  I had not looked at Bonwich's link before I posted.

Word on the street (and would come as a complete shock otherwise) is that Pitino is out today. If so, saw an interesting suggestion for Crean as the replacement seeing as he has taken a program back from oblivion before when he took over Indiana.

Edited by johnbj14
Majerus Mojo beat me to it.

58 minutes ago, johnbj14 said:

Word on the street (and would come as a complete shock otherwise) is that Pitino is out today. If so, saw an interesting suggestion for Crean as the replacement seeing as he has taken a program back from oblivion before when he took over Indiana.

Good move on Louisville's part if this is true. I understand and the argument that a person shouldn't be blamed for something he didn't directly do even if it was on his watch (i.e the prostitution case) and I think I even mostly agree with this argument because you can't control everyone who plays a part in your program. But  if its scandal after scandal of this magnitude, something is wrong there.

22 minutes ago, pakapablo said:

maybe Ramey will open up his recruiting if Pitino is really out

I think there might be a lot of guys that aren't going to be signing NLI until the spring time after this news. 

Anyone committed to Louisville should probably wait. 

5 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

I think there might be a lot of guys that aren't going to be signing NLI until the spring time after this news. 

Anyone committed to Louisville should probably wait. 

Honest question: what shoe company sponsors Team Ramey?

5-star big man E.J. Montgomery just decommitted from Auburn. I would expect more dominoes to fall at the four schools implicated, and I honestly think you'd be foolish to stay committed to any of them, especially Louisville.

The question these guys now have to answer is: To whom are they accountable? If they accepted shoe company money to commit somewhere, they can't stray too far from the farm.