Start of year starting lineup speculation

bauman

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bess will be coming of the bench.  Ford has basically telegraphed that in multiple radio appearances.  Ford sounds like he loves Bess as that multi positional first guy off the bench who gets more minutes than some of the starters.

Starters at the start of the year are Goodwin, AD, Roby, French and Foreman.  That changes when Graves is eligible and up to speed.

1 hour ago, TFord and TRavs said:

Posting high stats on a crap team doesn't translate when your team is playing with better talent against better opponents 

The fact that Bishop will have a lot more talent surrounding him will only make him more effective.  Bishop will be team MVP by the end of the year.

9 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Bess will be coming of the bench.  Ford has basically telegraphed that in multiple radio appearances.  Ford sounds like he loves Bess as that multi positional first guy off the bench who gets more minutes than some of the starters.

Starters at the start of the year are Goodwin, AD, Roby, French and Foreman.  That changes when Graves is eligible and up to speed.

Agree on Bess.  Lots of minutes.  Like Jett junior year.  In within the first few minutes most games.

44 minutes ago, STL Hoops Insider said:

5 Anthony

4 Foreman

3 Bess

2 AD

1 Goodwin

4 transfers and a stud freshman.  

Roby can be the instant offense off the bench and a steady hand.

So you are backing off your earlier statement that Roby will see very limited minutes because Bess will keep him off the bench?  Also please read Ford's statement on team orientation. 

3 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

So you are backing off your earlier statement that Roby will see very limited minutes because Bess will keep him off the bench?  Also please read Ford's statement on team orientation. 

Bess should definitely player over him, but he should play. Roby has turned into a solid role player.

3 hours ago, moytoy12 said:

No way will bishop be 3rd off the bench. 

Platt and Crews recruited this him.

Looks like Bishop has worked on his conditioning in his season off.  I see him struggling to get back to what he was with all his time off.  I think he is maybe the 8th or 9th most talented player on the roster.  Not seeing a lot of time for him and have no idea how he would be the MVP.  He can shoot a little, not much ballhandling skill, and doesn't play D.  Not seeing him starting over even our admittedly thin backcourt in the early going.

14 minutes ago, thetorch said:

Platt and Crews recruited this him.

Looks like Bishop has worked on his conditioning in his season off.  I see him struggling to get back to what he was with all his time off.  I think he is maybe the 8th or 9th most talented player on the roster.  Not seeing a lot of time for him and have no idea how he would be the MVP.  He can shoot a little, not much ballhandling skill, and doesn't play D.  Not seeing him starting over even our admittedly thin backcourt in the early going.

And Ford has talked very well of Bishop, beyond just coach speak.  He looks to be a completely different kid physically from his freshman year when he made the A-10 All Rookie team. He has a year of Ford's system under his belt.  Bishop is a good shooter.  He needs to control turnovers, which should be helped by having a ton more talent around him, and his D is adequate and I suspect will be even more improved with his extra muscle.  

I believe the starters should be a whole new lineup with our transfers and two highly acclaimed freshmen.

In November and December Ford will likely be very liberal with minutes and our returning players will get minutes.  Consider it the tryout for the substitute minutes.  Who comes closest to measuring up to our new players?

After January 1 it becomes serious and the minutes for the subs will be cut way back as their talent level beyond graves  i suspect does not measure up to our new players.   I wouldn't be surprised to see a 7 or 8 man rotation with maybe only 6 guys averaging over 10 minutes a game.  

Those of you giving all these kudos to our returning players, let's not lose sight of the fact they were our players the last three seasons which was pretty much the lowest point in Billiken history.   Granted some of them had numbers, but somebody had to score.  When it came down to it they lost a lot more than they won.  

The great news is I think Ford has brought in some fabulous talent with more to come.   So the upcoming season should be a lot more fun and the future looks very bright.   Happiest I've been about Billiken basketball in a long time.  

3 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

I believe the starters should be a whole new lineup with our transfers and two highly acclaimed freshmen.

In November and December Ford will likely be very liberal with minutes and our returning players will get minutes.  Consider it the tryout for the substitute minutes.  Who comes closest to measuring up to our new players?

After January 1 it becomes serious and the minutes for the subs will be cut way back as their talent level beyond graves  i suspect does not measure up to our new players.   I wouldn't be surprised to see a 7 or 8 man rotation with maybe only 6 guys averaging over 10 minutes a game.  

Those of you giving all these kudos to our returning players, let's not lose sight of the fact they were our players the last three seasons which was pretty much the lowest point in Billiken history.   Granted some of them had numbers, but somebody had to score.  When it came down to it they lost a lot more than they won.  

The great news is I think Ford has brought in some fabulous talent with more to come.   So the upcoming season should be a lot more fun and the future looks very bright.   Happiest I've been about Billiken basketball in a long time.  

I agree

8 hours ago, moytoy12 said:

And Ford has talked very well of Bishop, beyond just coach speak.  He looks to be a completely different kid physically from his freshman year when he made the A-10 All Rookie team. He has a year of Ford's system under his belt.  Bishop is a good shooter.  He needs to control turnovers, which should be helped by having a ton more talent around him, and his D is adequate and I suspect will be even more improved with his extra muscle.  

Most on this board seem to forget that Bishop, by far is our best ft shooter(85%).  There is plenty of pt available to a player who can make clutch ft's, particularly when you're on a team who has a lot of mediocre to poor ft shooters. 

For some folks, Bishop will always be tainted by being a Crews recruit. Take who signed him out of it. If you've got a guy who can hit open three pointers, can create his own shot, shoots 85% from the line, is an above average passer and is surrounded by offensive threats, that guy is going to be hard to guard.

16 hours ago, TFord and TRavs said:

That has to be the worst lineup I've seen on here. Have you seen these guys play? French and Goodwin are in their own league and AD and Bess have shown their dominance. Johnson is one of the hardest workers and will get many minutes, but he won't start. Bishop will also not start and will be on the back end of minutes  screenshot this.

It would completely destroy our 2018 recruiting if we don't start players like Goodwin early in the season. 

Perception is reality to recruits. Goodwin was promised the starting spot. 

Was this at the same time he was promised the starting pg spot?

18 hours ago, TFord and TRavs said:

That has to be the worst lineup I've seen on here. Have you seen these guys play? French and Goodwin are in their own league and AD and Bess have shown their dominance. Johnson is one of the hardest workers and will get many minutes, but he won't start. Bishop will also not start and will be on the back end of minutes  screenshot this.

It would completely destroy our 2018 recruiting if we don't start players like Goodwin early in the season. 

Perception is reality to recruits. Goodwin was promised the starting spot. 

Please link the quote, tweet, instagram, whatever you have, where Gordon states that he will NOT sign with SLU during the Nov 8 signing period if Goodwin isn't starting.

Please link the quote, tweet, instagram, whatever you have, where Thatch states that he will NOT sign with SLU during the Nov 8 signing period if Goodwin isn't starting. 

Please link the quote, tweet, instagram, whatever you have, where ANY SLU RECRUIT states that he will NOT sign with SLU during the Nov 8 signing period if Goodwin isn't starting.

If you don't have anything from Gordon or Thatch, how again does Goodwin's starting status "destroy" our 2018 recruiting?  I guess you are saying Gordon and Thatch don't count for much in the 2018 class. 

Also, I'm still looking for the quote, tweet, whatever you have, where Travis Ford PROMISED Goodwin ANY starting position this season's SLU team.  For that matter, show me where any reputable coach promises any recruit a starting spot, simply by showing up. Doesn't happen.  And any recruit worth recruiting wouldn't want anything handed to him.  These young men are used to competing and earning positions and minutes.....they don't want anything handed to them.  You are insulting these athletes when you say they will take handouts rather than having to earn them.  I'm not saying Goodwin and French won't start nor they won't get significant minutes.  I"m saying they will earn what he gets, just like every other player on the squad.

4 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Please link the quote, tweet, instagram, whatever you have, where Gordon states that he will NOT sign with SLU during the Nov 8 signing period if Goodwin isn't starting.

Please link the quote, tweet, instagram, whatever you have, where Thatch states that he will NOT sign with SLU during the Nov 8 signing period if Goodwin isn't starting. 

Please link the quote, tweet, instagram, whatever you have, where ANY SLU RECRUIT states that he will NOT sign with SLU during the Nov 8 signing period if Goodwin isn't starting.

If you don't have anything from Gordon or Thatch, how again does Goodwin's starting status "destroy" our 2018 recruiting?  I guess you are saying Gordon and Thatch don't count for much in the 2018 class. 

Also, I'm still looking for the quote, tweet, whatever you have, where Travis Ford PROMISED Goodwin ANY starting position this season's SLU team.  For that matter, show me where any reputable coach promises any recruit a starting spot, simply by showing up. Doesn't happen.  And any recruit worth recruiting wouldn't want anything handed to him.  These young men are used to competing and earning positions and minutes.....they don't want anything handed to them.  You are insulting these athletes when you say they will take handouts rather than having to earn them.  I'm not saying Goodwin and French won't start nor they won't get significant minutes.  I"m saying they will earn what he gets, just like every other player on the squad.

Signing period starts BEFORE the first game.   Doubt Ford will pre-announce the starting line-up. 

Bishop is a solid player but if he's our MVP, we didn't bring in as much talent as I thought. I think he's a perfect second unit guard. Bishop is better than 90% of other A10 teams backup point guards. Him and Graves give us a lot of options and let Goodwin play off the ball if he's struggling to play PG at the A10 level as a freshman. 

I'll say starters are Goodwin Roby Henriquez French Foreman

32 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

Signing period starts BEFORE the first game.   Doubt Ford will pre-announce the starting line-up. 

Exactly. But reading TGlory, Gordon and Thatch will wait until Ford announces his starters for the Nov10 game before they sign, with the period starting Nov 8.

They don't teach kids common sense in grade school. 

I just don't see any indication from past play that would lead you to believe Bishop is starter quality on a top half A10 team.  If this is where the majority of us think the team will land how can Bishop be anything more than a role player this season?

Skip, I love that starting lineup you posted.  If we go small, there is room for Roby as a starter, I just don't see why Anthony would transfer in for his last season to continue to ride the bench.  I'm surprised so many of you are willing to be okay with Bess playing the 4 because you got so mad over the years when I advocated for Liddell, Evans, and even Luke Meyer to play the 4. They were all successful with it and similar size, although all more athletic than Luke.

30 minutes ago, TFord and TRavs said:

Lol I think he missed the point too. Players who transferred and committed were told they would get massive playing time hands down. Now it's different. 

You are having a rough weekend, aren't you.  Once again you struck out. 

Substitute COULD for WOULD and you are closer.  Provide the link where Ford promised anyone massive playing time simply for showing up. 

Try this on for size:  "There is ample playing time available for those who earn it." 

Still looking for that link where Ford promised Goodwin a starting job, day 1.

Still looking for the links where Goodwin and Thatch said they wouldn't sign if Goodwin doesn't start.

I take it you were born with a silver spoon in your mouth.  Most of us had to earn what we have.  It is pretty obvious you had everything handed to you.  That's not how it works in the real world.