Romar

brianstl

I think Romar is a great guy.  It ended badly at UW.  While not an all time great coach, I actually think he takes too much crap for his coaching.  It was probably time for him to go at Washington.  That said, what he did at UW is better than anyone before him.  He had more NCAA tournaments appearances than any other UW coach, 3 of their seven sweet 16 appearances, 6 of their 16 NCAA appearance, all three of their conference tournament championships and 2 of their 4 conference titles in the last 50 years. 

I think he would thrive at a WCC school.  That said, he got fired a year to late when it comes to that.  He could have had his pick of five of those programs last year.

22 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I think Romar is a great guy.  It ended badly at UW.  While not an all time great coach, I actually think he takes too much crap for his coaching.  It was probably time for him to go at Washington.  That said, what he did at UW is better than anyone before him.  He had more NCAA tournaments appearances than any other UW coach, 3 of their seven sweet 16 appearances, 6 of their 16 NCAA appearance, all three of their conference tournament championships and 2 of their 4 conference titles in the last 50 years. 

I think he would thrive at a WCC school.  That said, he got fired a year to late when it comes to that.  He could have had his pick of five of those programs last year.

SLU should hire him back and bring Porter. Is there a limit on how many assistants you can have?

I'll contribute to his salary.

22 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I was looking at the history of Washington's program yesterday and thinking the same thing (except not knowing much about how the Washington fans / AD views him I have no idea if it was time for him to go).  Looking broadly at it, I think it is insane that they fired him.  As you've pointed out he is easily the most successful coach in program history, he's an alum of the University, he's been there a really long time, he seemingly had no plans to jump to a better program if the opportunity arose.  He had a down year (his first losing season since his first year there), but he was bringing in one of the highest rated recruits in the country.  The only way you can justify firing Romar is if you're comparing him to himself 7 to 9 years ago.

16 minutes ago, billikens747 said:

No tourney appearance in 6 years. Fans got restless. 

Washington had NCAA tournament droughts from 1954 - 1975, 1977 - 1983, 1987 - 1997, and 2000 - 2003 before Romar took over.  It's not like their fans should have been or should be used to making the tournament regularly.  Romar spoiled them from 2004 - 2011 when he made 6 in 8 years.  They had made 2 NCAA appearances in 16 seasons immediately prior to his tenure.

27 minutes ago, billikens747 said:

No tourney appearance in 6 years. Fans got restless. 

This plus he had recruited some talented teams that for one reason or another didn't get 'er done. When you are loaded w/ talent you can't just coach by rolling the ball on the floor and yelling skins and shirts. Not saying he's a bad x and o guy, but there's a trick to coaching high quality talent.  I read where Calipari once said most of it's done by being a salesman and getting prima donnas to buy into the overall objectives of the team. In other words, hang your individuality in your locker. Few do it better, hate to admit it, than John Calimari.

7 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

I think the UW brass has a lot of expectations for their basketball program since their football team took off into top national programs. Same with Clemson

UW Football has been good natioanally for 100 years.

Just for fun, he left for UW and gave us Brad Soderberg, I will never forgive coach Romar for that.

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/uw-husky-basketball/lorenzo-romar-had-to-go-for-the-good-of-the-team-and-despite-fond-memories/

Lorenzo Romar had 2 other Top 85 incoming recruits besides Porter.

Cal should hire Romar.  Romar is a better coach than all the nondescript early names that have surfaced for the Cal job, and the Washington job too, for that matter ...

2 hours ago, thetorch said:

According to reports only reason Romar was fired was because Porter Sr told the UW brass that he and his kids were not coming.

I posted this yesterday as soon as the news came out. Timing didn't make sense otherwise. 

I'm almost certain the Porters were part of the recruiting pitch for the Head Coch job at Mizzou. Whether they actually end up there is another question. Porter Sr is starting to seem like Lavar Ball to me. 

1 minute ago, kshoe said:

I doubt UW's AD would want it known that romar had a job if porter was coming but was fired once he wasn't coming. Hence, they will say he was being fired no matter what. Classic spin.

Of course it is spin.

If the Porters leaving had nothing to do with Romar getting fired, why did the Porters to Mizzou talk start almost the instant Martin's hiring became known and hours before Romar got fired?