New Transfer Option

Ibruce

This was originally a Ty Graves (RIP) thread, but the title seemed appropriate enough for this: https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/proposal-to-let-athletes-transfer-instantly-after-a-coaching-change-picks-up-steam/

Latest idea being spun would allow athletes to transfer immediately after a coaching change at their respective school. Love this 

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, majerus mojo said:

This was originally a Ty Graves (RIP) thread, but the title seemed appropriate enough for this: https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/proposal-to-let-athletes-transfer-instantly-after-a-coaching-change-picks-up-steam/

Latest idea being spun would allow athletes to transfer immediately after a coaching change at their respective school. Love this 

I don't think it is a bad idea in the event a coach is fired, but I think this is a TERRIBLE idea in the event of a coach leaving to take another job. Mid major programs will get screwed twice... it's bad enough that their coach gets hired away, then the school gets punished again by allowing the players become free agents. 

kwyjibo likes this

Just now, ACE said:

I don't think it is a bad idea in the event a coach is fired, but I think this is a TERRIBLE idea in the event of a coach leaving to take another job. Mid major programs will get screwed twice... it's bad enough that their coach gets hired away, then the school gets punished again by allowing the players become free agents. 

I see your point and agree.  

2 minutes ago, ACE said:

Yup. And coaches will use this to their advantage to "require" raises every offseason or face the potential of your program being decimated. I do like that players can't follow their coaches as that would have led to coaches selling not only their coachin skills but also saying that if you hire me, you'll get 2-3 of my star players.

However, this rule is far better than the original proposal which allowed for general free agency no matter what.

1 minute ago, kshoe said:

Yup. And coaches will use this to their advantage to "require" raises every offseason or face the potential of your program being decimated. I do like that players can't follow their coaches as that would have led to coaches selling not only their coachin skills but also saying that if you hire me, you'll get 2-3 of my star players.

However, this rule is far better than the original proposal which allowed for general free agency no matter what.

Imagine a mid-major school that makes a commitment to build a good program - hires a good young coach who assembles and develops a talented roster. What is that school's reward? They lose their coach at the end of the season and run the risk of having a mass exodus on their roster. They would be left scrambling in the spring, not only finding a coach, but putting together a whole new team in a short time frame.

I don't really think getting a free year of education while not playing due to transfer is much of a "punishment." Kids SHOULD (although I realize many don't) pick a school as much as they pick a coach. If a player picks a school solely based on the coach, I don't have much sympathy for them when circumstances change. They still have a way out,  they simply have to sit out a year. There are plenty of transfers as is. No reason to create an environment to make it easier for more.

28 minutes ago, ACE said:

20 minutes ago, kshoe said:

Great points, did not consider the potential “double-whammy” of losing both coaches and then players. 

-as Ace mentions, there are plenty of transfers now and the one year sit out period is not stopping them, what is broken about the current rule? to me this seems like another change to benefit the 'scools' at the top of the food chain of which we are not one

-that players can't follow the coach is at least one shred of decency about this proposal imo

15 minutes ago, ACE said:

Imagine a mid-major school that makes a commitment to build a good program - hires a good young coach who assembles and develops a talented roster. What is that school's reward? They lose their coach at the end of the season and run the risk of having a mass exodus on their roster. They would be left scrambling in the spring, not only finding a coach, but putting together a whole new team in a short time frame.

I don't really think getting a free year of education while not playing due to transfer is much of a "punishment." Kids SHOULD (although I realize many don't) pick a school as much as they pick a coach. If a player picks a school solely based on the coach, I don't have much sympathy for them when circumstances change. They still have a way out,  they simply have to sit out a year. There are plenty of transfers as is. No reason to create an environment to make it easier for more.

I think this is generally right on.  While there is a two-way street here, one direction will be a highway and the other a dirt road.    

Overall, I think any school with long-term coaching continuity will find this works very well in their favor and will reduce parity in the game.  Coaches K, Cal, Marshall, Few, Wright, Self, etc. will be able to consistently add quality upperclassmen for one or two seasons to pair with their 5 star recruits.     

28 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I’m not disagreeing with anyone but you could conceivably hire a coach who brings players 

Except for the rare circumstances where Brian Gregory leaves Dayton or Frank Haith leaves Mizzou, most of the time when a coach leaves voluntarily it's not good for your program.

6 minutes ago, TFord and TRavs said:

Ford isn’t leaving. He isn’t going to leave his contract unless he gets some huge p5 school which he won’t. Kids, moving etc. 

I also don’t see him getting fired over this

What in the hell does this have to do with what is being discussed in this thread? :rolleyes:

9 minutes ago, TFord and TRavs said:

Just my speculation. I don’t see why that would be a good move when he can rebuild a class in a year. And yes this discussion hinted on Ford leaving with the transfer rule

That was an example not even speculation.  I did not read where it said that the kids couldn't follow the coach to his new school before I posted that either