women's thread

Cowboy

That's a good point.  Teams considering whether or not the schedule a game with us are contending with the fact that we are good now, but that most in the country only know our women's team by its history.  This adds to the idea that a win doesn't gain them much, but that a loss loses them a lot more.  This may be why scheduling decent teams is so difficult.

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The women are in action right now against Fordham. They're a 4-seed, Fordham is the 5. Winner plays Dayton, the 1-seed. I just looked at their bracket for the first time, and hadn't realized it was a different format than the men's side. Only the top 2 seeds get byes, with all other seeds playing at home sites in the first round. Then they play out the quarterfinals at the conference tournament location. Dayton beat 8-seed VCU earlier today.

At halftime, the score is SLU 31, Fordham 28.

On 3/2/2017 at 1:17 PM, cgeldmacher said:

That's a good point.  Teams considering whether or not the schedule a game with us are contending with the fact that we are good now, but that most in the country only know our women's team by its history.  This adds to the idea that a win doesn't gain them much, but that a loss loses them a lot more.  This may be why scheduling decent teams is so difficult.

You're way overthinking this. Our scheduling has been weak because that's clearly how Stone wants to schedule. Bottom line.

Definitely got a tough draw at the 4-seed. There were two 13-3 teams and two 12-4 teams, and the tiebreakers just so happened to force SLU and UD onto the same side of the bracket - I'd much rather have GW or St. Joe's. Anyway, they lost twice to UD this season, and that third matchup can be deadly. Anything can happen.

Great game from SS, who must've had a really favorable matchup inside. Yeah, @Cowboy, the minute totals are crazy - definitely makes you wonder how much they have left, not using the bench at all.

And 4 turnovers today - wow.

34 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Except I'm not.

It reminds me of that old school philosophy of scheduling to get to a certain number of wins. Except that doesn't work anymore because the RPI has been fine tuned enough to know better. 

16 hours ago, Box and Won said:

For the love of god, please beat Dayton.

This.

If you want a bleak morning read, pull up the women's record book. It's my second time dipping into these numbers lately, and I really never had a perspective on just how bad this program has been historically.

Anyway, their all-time record against UD, including this season, is 8-27. Would love to see that win percentage hit .250 today.

If they win, the winner of Duquesne-St. Joe's awaits them in the finals. Remember that Duquesne, despite being 8-8 in conference on the season, beat SLU by 29 earlier this year. They lost to St. Joe's by 3.

Which means that all four of SLU's conference losses have come against the remaining teams in the A10 Tournament. If that's not a motivating factor - especially the two losses to UD this season - then I don't know what is.

Four points from the bench, all in garbage time and foulign free throws.  Now an 11 am game in Richmond that even I am not awake for.  This does not bode well.  Hopefully tired legs don't comeinto play.  If they do, we will once again leave Richmond with a mental block on our ability to shoot the ball.

37-33 Dayton at halftime. Basically, SLU got into foul trouble and they went on a 13-0 run to start the quarter. Frantz, Stipanovich, McMahan, and Jakubicek all have 2 fouls and Vliet has 3. Kemph avoided foul trouble but has as many turnovers (4) as the team had in the entire Fordham game.

20 minutes ago, Pistol said:

37-33 Dayton at halftime. Basically, SLU got into foul trouble and they went on a 13-0 run to start the quarter. Frantz, Stipanovich, McMahan, and Jakubicek all have 2 fouls and Vliet has 3. Kemph avoided foul trouble but has as many turnovers (4) as the team had in the entire Fordham game.

Refs took this game over. Calling everything on SLU and ignoring any and all violations by Ud 

24 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Refs took this game over. Calling everything on SLU and ignoring any and all violations by Ud 

Rammer doesn't like it.

69-56 Dayton in the 4th. NIT, I guess.