Willie Reed - Impressive Heat Debut

philliken

17 minutes ago, majerus mojo said:

When your deal is universally heralded as a bargain or steal for new club, your agent probably stinks. As duffman noted, he opted out of a one year deal, for another one year deal making less money. His agent is a problem 

When the deal appears that recognizably bad, there are probably reasons beyond the agent.  You think the agent thought this was a good deal?  You don't think he shopped this offer to other teams who in search of a bargain at even $1 million a year more?   There is either something keeping teams from taking a bigger risk on Willie or Willie tied his agent's hands by only being willing to play in warm winter cities with a beach.

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My guess: WR was talked into taking this risk, opting out of his Miami agreement, by his agent. It was the right move.  However, as things played out, there were less and less potential options. WR was potentially looking at not getting signed at all. He has had some rough years, not all of them entirely his fault, so this time with risk on the line, he forced his agent to take the immediate money. I would much rather him get paid something as compared to being stranded for a year. Maybe DeAndre Jordan will go down the day after the trade deadline and WR will shine.

If you people have ever dealt with agents, consultants, or advisers, you should be aware that there are plenty of people in these fields (particularly when the competition for some clients with other agents is strong) that develop their relationships with their new clients by the simple expedient of telling their clients whatever it is they want to hear. The agents' primary objective with a new client may easily be to gain their new client's full confidence and trust. Yes, there are agents that are incompetent and lead you wrong, also true there are agents that advise the right move but then the right move just does not work as expected, and finally there are clients with visions of grandeur that want to do something believing it will lead to pots of gold and their agent just goes along (otherwise they just get replaced by another agent who goes along with the wishes of the client). Willie may or may not be fully aware of the shortcomings inherent in being a free agent, including having to spend time sidelined waiting for the right offer to come. It is not altogether clear which is the case here. Keep in mind that I do like Willie and wish him all the best despite his agents or his own poor choices, whichever the case may be.

9 hours ago, AnkielBreakers said:

My guess: WR was talked into taking this risk, opting out of his Miami agreement, by his agent. It was the right move.  However, as things played out, there were less and less potential options. WR was potentially looking at not getting signed at all. He has had some rough years, not all of them entirely his fault, so this time with risk on the line, he forced his agent to take the immediate money. I would much rather him get paid something as compared to being stranded for a year. Maybe DeAndre Jordan will go down the day after the trade deadline and WR will shine.

This seems like a good take. My limited understanding of this years free agency was those that moved quickly often got paid handsomely while those that didn't were left picking up scraps. As torch pointed out, willie isn't much better than a replacement level player so he was left picking up the scraps.

Interesting article from the Miami Herald:

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/heat-check/article162243368.html

Reed, 27, told the Heat of his intentions to test the free agent waters at the beginning of Juneand still had the option to change his mind and opt-in for next season before June 29.

But he never did and the Heat instead drafted Kentucky’s Bam Adebayo, signed former Celtics center Kelly Olynyk to a four-year, $50 million contract and traded Josh McRoberts to Dallas for 7-footer A.J. Hammons to help shore up its front court depth behind Whiteside, the league’s leading rebounder.

“I hope he get what he deserves,” team president Pat Riley said last week of Reed, whom the Heat liked and appreciated.

Sounds to me like his agent wanted him to test the waters, but did not get him what he could of got paid, if he would of stayed in Miami.

• 3 weeks later...

The Bentley may wind up being repossessed sooner or later. This happens when you start spending at a level consistent with what you think you are going to get, not the level you are getting. Domestic violence is also linked to financial stress. Yes, I know, people making the money he does should not experience financial stress, but they do.

I know I shouldn't be laughing at someone else's life mistakes, especially when there's a charge involving domestic violence but this makes me laugh...

image.png.68bf65853f5cdc9d007014d32426d054.png

In all seriousness, Willie is lucky that he inked that 1yr deal before he did this or else he'd probably be out on his ass. As it stands, he'll be the first player to go through the NBA's new domestic violence protocol...which we've all seen Willie blow through his second, third, and so on chances...but at least there's a better chance he'll get the help he needs.

He really needs to define a role for himself with his new team, because absent a breakthrough season it's not going to get any easier on the free agent market with this on his record.

13 minutes ago, goonaha said:

Got to love the psychoanalysis. Buying a Bentley led him to eventually commit an act of domestic battery. Okay then.

You're not very good at picking up on sarcasm, are you? 

On the subject at hand - hopefully Willies crappy agent had all of his deal guaranteed because I'm guessing there's a chance that the Clippers just launch him and eat the minimum salary he signed for. 

3 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

You're not very good at picking up on sarcasm, are you? 

On the subject at hand - hopefully Willies crappy agent had all of his deal guaranteed because I'm guessing there's a chance that the Clippers just launch him and eat the minimum salary he signed for. 

"The Bentley may wind up being repossessed sooner or later. This happens when you start spending at a level consistent with what you think you are going to get, not the level you are getting. Domestic violence is also linked to financial stress. Yes, I know, people making the money he does should not experience financial stress, but they do." If this is supposed to be sarcasm, it's not very good. 

"Perhaps the Bentley was a bad choice" Again, not sure how this screams "sarcasm". Even if it was, sarcasm as a first response to a domestic allegation isn't the best look. 

There are morals clauses in contracts that can void the contract. They have now been collectively bargained into the standard player contracts used in the NFL, NBA, MLB, and NHL, and they are a staple in all athlete endorsement contracts. Will the Clippers pull the trigger?

3 hours ago, brianstl said:

You leave the situation, you dont manhandle the mother of your children.

If she was taking my child without my consent I might.

Lot of money at stake in this marriage.  If you want a divorce best to make these decisions in a lawyer's office not an apartment balcony.

Willie needs a life coach.  

34 minutes ago, thetorch said:

Lot of money at stake in this marriage.  If you want a divorce best to make these decisions in a lawyer's office not an apartment balcony.

Willie needs a life coach.  

Could not agree more, Willie needs more self control and the ability to figure out how his actions will hurt him. A divorce involving someone making the  amount of money he is making will always result in a heavy financial burden placed on the heavy income maker. By losing his self control, he probably made the situation a lot worse and the divorce settlement a lot larger. There is also the issue of the contract requirements with the Clippers, which has to be carefully dealt with so that he is allowed to play as expected; and that has to be done before he can even start paying what the court will require him to pay to his soon to be ex wife. Willie could wind up broke as a result of his arrest for domestic violence. 

As far as Willie's wife contribution to the events leading to the recent blow up are concerned, there may be a whole lot more involved in this mess than we know. 

1 hour ago, David King said:

Innocent until proven guilty.

It is in his skank ho wife's best interests if the charge's are dropped. She can take much more of his money if he stays in the league.

At the minimum he his guilty of man handling the mother of his children.  He admitted that to the police.

I love it when new people come around and are mystified by oldguy and his posting atyle.

Anyway, I know it shouldn't, but this one really surprised me. From a distance it seemed like Willie finally had his life under control.