GDT: Paying the New Doctor's Bills (St. Joe's)

Taj79

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if (and suspect) the team is staying in Philly. Does anyone know?

If they play decent ball, they could beat LaSalle even within the Walls of the Gola Mausoleum.

Staying.

In a situation like this, do the players redshirting and out with injury, referring to Welmer and Gillmann, make the trip as well?

The Gola Mausoleum is downright shameful. That is an "arena" that belongs in the Valley(ohio). I will add that the Gola Mausoleum is not as shameful as having Jim Crews as a coach. Fire Jim Crews. Fire Jim Platt.

Xavier is in top 5 now. This program is a blight right now. Fire Crews and make a big hire. 2million/year is pocket change if we land the right coach.

Staying.

In a situation like this, do the players redshirting and out with injury, referring to Welmer and Gillmann, make the trip as well?

Someone who saw the game would have to fill you in on that. I know that when Ash was sitting out in his transfer year, I saw him at the Chipotle by campus when the rest of team was playing in a tournament around Thanksgiving (in Mexico?)

Someone who saw the game would have to fill you in on that. I know that when Ash was sitting out in his transfer year, I saw him at the Chipotle by campus when the rest of team was playing in a tournament around Thanksgiving (in Mexico?)

Makes sense while school's in session. No need to miss 3-4 days of class when there's no chance they can play. Only reason I asked was that someone in the thread asked where Gillmann was as I guess they didn't see him on the bench.

I don't think he'd mind that

I wouldn't either. The Warriors have become the hottest ticket in the Bay Area. I remember well the days when games against the then bottom feeders like the LA Clippers (since risen too), the Minnesota Timberwolves, etc. were offered and found their way into young associates' hands (ahem).

Of course I'm for SLU, but those 2 jams by Bembry were entertaining, with the game no longer in doubt.

I have no ill will toward our Jesuit brethren from St. Joe's. I wish SLU had guys like Bembry (6'6") and Miles (6'7").

In fact, the first time I heard that St. Joe's cheer (in the A10 Tourney in Brooklyn) after an opponent's missed free throw ("You let the whole team down. You let the whole team down. ..."), I cracked up laughing. I also watched the Hawk balance patting St. Joe's players on the back with one wing, while continuing to flap the other, and also somehow manage to keep flapping while getting a drink out of the water fountain.

Regrettably, 2 of our best free throw shooters, MR and MC, were both serenaded with that chant in today's game. It looked like MR was laughing (at minimum smiling) after his first miss, and then he proceeded to miss the second free throw too.

The Gola Mausoleum is downright shameful. That is an "arena" that belongs in the Valley(ohio). I will add that the Gola Mausoleum is not as shameful as having Jim Crews as a coach. Fire Jim Crews. Fire Jim Platt.

Xavier is in top 5 now. This program is a blight right now. Fire Crews and make a big hire. 2million/year is pocket change if we land the right coach.

How in the world is SLU going to come up with 2M a year for a basketball coach?

How in the world is SLU going to come up with 2M a year for a basketball coach?

The same way most schools who go that high pay for a coach. The same way they ponied up for Majerus. You get donors to pay for a large part of it. If no donors want to step up and pay the freight, the school will be forced to go cheaper.

The same way most schools who go that high pay for a coach. The same way they ponied up for Majerus. You get donors to pay for a large part of it. If no donors want to step up and pay the freight, the school will be forced to go cheaper.

Donors or no donors, we're not paying $2mm for a new coach, nor do we need to. We can find a better younger coach than the guy we have on the bench now for fewer bucks. I'd say somewhere around the $700k range. If May does his job there are lower mid major guys probably making half that much who would jump at the chance to take over a major metro team w/ nice facilities that plays in a top 7 conference for a 30-40% increase in salary and some juicy incentives for making the dance, A10 titles, etc. There are good coaches out there, it's May's job to find the next great up and comer for the Billikens.

Donors or no donors, we're not paying $2mm for a new coach, nor do we need to. We can find a better younger coach than the guy we have on the bench now for fewer bucks. I'd say somewhere around the $700k range. If May does his job there are lower mid major guys probably making half that much who would jump at the chance to take over a major metro team w/ nice facilities that plays in a top 7 conference for a 30-40% increase in salary and some juicy incentives for making the dance, A10 titles, etc. There are good coaches out there, it's May's job to find the next great up and comer for the Billikens.

I don't have a lot of confidence he will succeed

Soderberg was an "up-and-comer"

Then again so was Romar.

Personally I'd rather do better than 50/50. I think this next hire is pivotal for the program. We are in bad, bad shape. We have had a 15-year average of being in the top 100, we are now in the realm of the lower third of D1 hoops. I think we need someone with a track record of success.

The next great up-and-comer can also be the next great gaffe. If we fail with another coach I'm not sure where we'll be at 10 years from now. We need success and improvement NOW. This team cannot take more rebuilding.

If this up-and-comer has the ear of some top recruits and is a high energy guy who comes from a respected coaching tree, then let's talk. We just cannot fail this time around. The money is secondary.. NCAA tournament appearances easily repay for the coach.

Coach > arena. If we spent this money on an arena, but are unwilling to put a product in it, it is the ultimate in futility. 80 million for a place to hold commencement? SNORE.

Why does anyone think May is going to pick the next coach? My guess is he will have just about no say in the next hire, just as has been the case with every AD for almost every men's head coaching hire over the last 25 years.

The next coach of the men's team might not make $2 million, but they won't be making $700,000 either. If they spend that little they will be hiring someone with no sustained record to help sell the program.That would be a disaster on multiple fronts. They will have to spend more than that if they don't want season ticket sales to totally bottom out next season. They will have spend more on a hire to get a guy that will stop the program from becoming even more irrelevant in the eyes of the local media. The program needs to hire someone that has enough of a track record to keep fans buying tickets and keep the media interested in the rebuilding project over the next few seasons. They need to hire someone that is going to command more than $700,000 to convince the Big East we are serious about having a sustainable high level program going forward.

This job is not going to be overnight turn around. It will take a few season. They need to hire someone with enough cache to keep people interested during that time.

Some of the names being mentioned, like Kelsey, would have fit the bill if we weren't two seasons removed from the Majerus years. The program was in a much different spot then, but the program is in the dumpster now. That requires this program hiring someone that is going to cost more than $700,000.