BillikensBlog

Also want to clarify that nobody came directly to us and said shut it down. We just heard that some people don't like negative posts and we were considering shutting down anyway so we just decided that it'd be best for everyone to do so.

Can't you just post your blog stuff here? we're all ears and never too much to read.

I just don't get the need for the total lock down of any information that doesn't toe the company line on the part of athletic department and others involved with the program. It is crazy, a complete denial of world we live in today and it is counterproductive. This isn't the 1950's, even in slow moving St. Louis.

Social media has changed everything. The program operates on college campus with young players and students. Players have friends, siblings and parents. It is place is loaded with people that like to gossip and they all have a cellphone ready to be used as a megaphone. Everything is eventually going to to reach the public at large in one version or another. It is better to get out in front of this front of negative stuff or at least be willing to engage it to put your spin on it before others end up controlling the narrative.

Nothing is gained by shutting out a blog that was trying to be serious and fair to the program. Now the program is going to be left with more of their information starved fans turning to the other blogs that don't seem as interested in running a serious operation. The program and fans both end up losers.

+1 ... Maybe just get a new handle

How do you guys envision that working? People get interviews with players and coaches because they're media members in some form or another. A blogger would give them his name and who he's with. Do you think, say, an assistant coach would even talk to someone who walked up and said, "Hi, I'm [username] and post on billikens.com. Can I ask you some questions?"

How do you guys envision that working? People get interviews with players and coaches because they're media members in some form or another. A blogger would give them his name and who he's with. Do you think, say, an assistant coach would even talk to someone who walked up and said, "Hi, I'm [username] and post on billikens.com. Can I ask you some questions?"

No... I wasn't really thinking like that, more, feel free to post opinions and such like the rest of the MBMs around here

Wow. So many truly do not understand how journalism works. Aside from randomly receiving information directly from a source (coach, player, etc) or second hand from a source and then anonymously posting the same without the knowledge or consent of the source, the journalist usually gains access based upon its credentials and the source then chooses to give information or not while knowing what is said will be published. Also, the source may give information (off the record) to be held "in confidence" to better allower the reporter to understand and appreciate the situation but with the request NOT to publish the same.

I can assure you that if the post dispatch (Durando) gained access to the players and coaches and then used this access to exclusively rip on the players/coaches in an unfavorable light and in an unbalanced fashion or if the post dispatch (Durando) published "off the record" comments, these sources and their information would likewise dry up. This is nothing new.

Wow. So many truly do not understand how journalism works. Aside from randomly receiving information directly from a source (coach, player, etc) or second hand from a source and then anonymously posting the same without the knowledge or consent of the source, the journalist usually gains access based upon its credentials and the source then chooses to give information or not while knowing what is said will be published. Also, the source may give information (off the record) to be held "in confidence" to better allower the reporter to understand and appreciate the situation but with the request NOT to publish the same.

I can assure you that if the post dispatch (Durando) gained access to the players and coaches and then used this access to exclusively rip on the players/coaches in an unfavorable light and in an unbalanced fashion or if the post dispatch (Durando) published "off the record" comments, these sources and their information would likewise dry up. This is nothing new.

That begs the question: who would be our "Deep Throat?"