I was not sold on Crews

GOSLU68

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

SLU72 all I can say is what companies have you worked for and at what level?

You should consider contacting the AD or the President and letting them know your concerns for the program. Undoubtedly after they talk with you, they will take immediate action without further ado before irreparable damage occurs.

PS I particularly liked the idea that "...they are not doing their job..." Please do not forget to include this thought in your conversation with the AD and or President. I think this may really fly.

All the best to you.

Do you think they are doing their job. Based on the last two years their performance evaluation would not be stellar.

Yes, a buyout may costly but when you look at the risk reward, it's best to cut ties if this ends up a repeat of last year.

Does anyone have knowledge of what the buyout for Crews would be? Hearing about schools who have cut ties with coaches before their contracts ran out, they typically only have to buyout the remaining base salary which is typically well below the total compensation (the one I heard was in the neighborhood of $300k for a guy making $1.75 million a year all in).

If VCU can get Shaka, Butler can get Brad Stevens, Wichita St. can get Marshall, Dayton can get Archie, Rhode Island can get a Hurley, Buffalo could get a Hurley, then why the hell can't we get a top coach?

None of those guys were top coaches when they went there. Our fan base expects that we are going to get a guy who is already on the level of the guys you mentioned. The reality is that we will have to hire someone and hope that he becomes one of those guys.

RM left us holding the bag his last two years as he didn't recruit. It is a known fact that recruiting was at a standstill. Had the two year gap been filled with the players we have become expected to see them last year and this year would be different stories.

I agree that quality bigs make or break a team that has average players in other positions. These guys take at least two years to develop especially since the bigs coming in have been used to dominating lesser players that are much shorter. All things become more equal when you enter D1.

I will be anxious to see how we bounce back on Saturday. This game will be one of the defining moments that will propel us or stall us.

Not fair to blame RM for the last two (2) years of recruiting in that he became gravely ill in late Spring and hung for dear life all summer long before dying on December 1st. Hard to blame him for not recruiting following our near upset of Michigan State in the NCAA Tourney. And as to the year prior, yes, RM does deserve some blame but I also believe that Fr. Biondi deserves more blame for cancelling his charter flights, not fulfilling the obligations made to RM, for not properly supporting the basketball program and for basically driving RM out of SLU. Had RM not died, it is very likely that RM would have simply walked away. Fr. Biondi took away all incentive to keep recruiting and trying.

It may have been Rick speak, but Rick said if there was 1 coach to draw up a game winning play it would be Jim Crews. Without being critical I don't think Crews has drawn up any plays. He's not a plays kind of guy.

Crawford drew up a nice play for him against GW last year. Almost worked.

Do you think they are doing their job. Based on the last two years their performance evaluation would not be stellar.

My opinion in this matter is not an issue, it is their opinion that counts. Will you be the one telling them otherwise? and who are you going to tell?

Not fair to blame RM for the last two (2) years of recruiting in that he became gravely ill in late Spring and hung for dear life all summer long before dying on December 1st. Hard to blame him for not recruiting following our near upset of Michigan State in the NCAA Tourney. And as to the year prior, yes, RM does deserve some blame but I also believe that Fr. Biondi deserves more blame for cancelling his charter flights, not fulfilling the obligations made to RM, for not properly supporting the basketball program and for basically driving RM out of SLU. Had RM not died, it is very likely that RM would have simply walked away. Fr. Biondi took away all incentive to keep recruiting and trying.

How would you like it explained then...

I am only telling the facts. You call it blame, I call it facts. It is what happened. I loved RM as much as the next guy and was very disappointed in his passing. That does not change what did not happen...recruiting...

The only talk they will understand is money. When season tickets, attendance and booster money decline they will listen. That's the loudest and most influential talk!

The good news is that only 5000 people saw SLU get run off their own floor by Morehead St and only about 1500 were there for the very end.

The bad news is that only 5000 people are showing up to games and we played so bad that only 1500 stuck around until the end.