Changes in Branding for Athletics

Given that we have a fight song and have had it for the almost 50 years I've been going to games, I can't see what there is to talk about.

Rally sons of Notre Dame,

Sing her glory, and sound her fame

Raise her Gold and Blue,

And cheer with voices true,

Rah! Rah! For Notre Dame.

We will fight in every game

Strong of heart and true to her name.

We will ne'er forget her

And we'll cheer her ever,

Loyal to Notre Dame.

Chorus:

Cheer, cheer for Old Notre Dame

Wake up the echoes cheering her name,

Send the volley cheer on high,

Shake down the thunder from the sky,

What though the odds be great or small

Old Notre Dame will win over all,

While her loyal sons are marching

Onward to Victory.

You mean we have something like this or a song made famous by Louis Armstrong and that I played in my middle school jazz band?

• Replies 820
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Given that we have a fight song and have had it for the almost 50 years I've been going to games, I can't see what there is to talk about.

Come and let your voices ring clear, Come to sing your praises and cheer, While our team's beating And we're repeating That "We're for, U. of D."

CHORUS:

We're gonna win this game, you bet. Our banner's proudly waving yet. You have a great big name, But to us you're the same As all the other teams that we play Oh! when we do, (Oh! When we do), Oh! When we do, (Oh! When we do), We're gonna make your team feel blue, For every victory brings its fame, you see, To dear old U. of D.

CHEER:

"D - A - Y" "T - O - N" "F - L - Y" "E - R - S" "Day - ton" "Fly - ers" "Go U.D.! Nothing unique or proprietary about ours.... that's the point I'm trying to make. School has been around since 1818

A lot of the original school fight songs written 90+ years ago are just plain bad or uninteresting songs. We have one that is actually good. And I'd rather rip off/pay homage to (your pick) Louis Armstrong than some obscure Notre Dame or Dayton student songwriters.

I find it odd that SLU seems to screw up so many facets of their marketing. I'm sure they have a department filled with very capable people, but it seems like there is no communication among anyone when it came to this rebranding. It goes beyond just the rebranding. There just seems to be a ton of dysfunction right now and I'm not exactly sure what that should be attributed to.

I wholeheartedly agree. I cannot imagine that the people that work in Marketing are just flat out not smart. There has to be some type of change though. It's starting to get thoroughly frustrating.

I've observed the ways SLU has handled the logistical aspects of running an athletic program (event management, merchandising, marketing, and other simple stuff that no one notices unless it gets messed up) ever since I began as a student over 10 years ago. This has spanned multiple athletic directors and countless athletic department staffers. It has been a mess the entire time. Several years ago I reached the point where I expect things to get messed up. It keeps me from getting frustrated a lot.

As a qualifier, I have repeatedly been satisfied with the work of the Alumni Relations office with events and with the Sports Information office. No need to include them in my criticisms of the other shambles.

I like that you still have the optimism and belief that things can get done well. You must be relatively new.

Come and let your voices ring clear, Come to sing your praises and cheer, While our team's beating And we're repeating That "We're for, U. of D."

CHORUS:

We're gonna win this game, you bet. Our banner's proudly waving yet. You have a great big name, But to us you're the same As all the other teams that we play Oh! when we do, (Oh! When we do), Oh! When we do, (Oh! When we do), We're gonna make your team feel blue, For every victory brings its fame, you see, To dear old U. of D.

CHEER:

"D - A - Y" "T - O - N" "F - L - Y" "E - R - S" "Day - ton" "Fly - ers" "Go U.D.! Nothing unique or proprietary about ours.... that's the point I'm trying to make. School has been around since 1818

-at the risk of sounding like 05, if you want something changed why don't you do something about it? I doubt complaining here will move the needle.

I've observed the ways SLU has handled the logistical aspects of running an athletic program (event management, merchandising, marketing, and other simple stuff that no one notices unless it gets messed up) ever since I began as a student over 10 years ago. This has spanned multiple athletic directors and countless athletic department staffers. It has been a mess the entire time. Several years ago I reached the point where I expect things to get messed up. It keeps me from getting frustrated a lot.

As a qualifier, I have repeatedly been satisfied with the work of the Alumni Relations office with events and with the Sports Information office. No need to include them in my criticisms of the other shambles.

I like that you still have the optimism and belief that things can get done well. You must be relatively new.

I would like to believe that it can be fixed, as I've seen other organizations bring themselves out of a funk. It just seems like a lot of common sense that is not executed. The most simple of tasks, like social media presence or announcing give aways more than two days in advance would be a good place to start. As a student it is frustrating when the only marketing for games is a paper flier put up on game day in one spot on campus.

Not saying the tweeters are at fault but that most students don't want to go to games that are 100% FREE. I don't get it.

That's always been the case man. I've been around this school since I was in diapers. Since I can remember(94-95) it's been almost impossible to get consistent student attendance. The only time was around 2012-14 and we were winning. It starts with a culture change among students. Basketball games are not the thing to do. they were for a New York minute and now it seems like we've taken 4 steps back with the last two years in terms of Student attendance.

You have to show up.

You have to wear blue.

You have to stand.

You have to cheer.

That has to be the THING to do. SLU students are wet blankets and they'd rather study for their Orgo test they have next Wednesday.

True. Some friends can't go because they are "studying." They wouldn't last at a state school on a Saturday Game day where all you do is tailgate and get sloppy drunk. I guess I'm naïve as my first two years were the best in school history. Since then the attendance has lessened every game and it makes my stomach turn. Who the hell doesn't like sports? Even the fratty jock Dbags don't even show. Mind boggling. Maybe that's why I'm such a prick on here because not many in the real world seems to give a .

The SLU brand just doesn't get people excited. Gonzaga was the same until they started making the tourney every single year. Same with Xavier. If you aren't a big state school or don't have a consistently winning program, most people are just not going to get excited about it. Also, the SLU AD needs to do a better job of bringing in younger fans rather than always trying to always cater to the older fans. The average age of fans in attendance at games is probably well over 50....

While I have some strong feelings of dislike towards them, I would love to see SLU fandom be on the same level as Butler. If we had hoop junkies like they do it would be so much more enjoyable to be a fan here.

Keep in mind, basketball is way more important in the state of Indiana than it will ever be in STL.

Keep in mind, basketball is way more important in the state of Indiana than it will ever be in STL.

This is true. Yet even the non-Indiana students care at that school. It is disheartening coming home over breaks and listening to friends speak with such enthusiasm about their team.

Not to beat a dead horse, and I know it's too late for anything to be done about it, but this is just one of the reasons I don't like the new "look" of SLU athletics - I saw this and wondered WTH are "Bert's Herophones" and "Protocol Oronium"? While the new Billiken isn't too awful, I really dislike the new font. It just has no class, IMO.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CVWjO-CUAAALfHU.jpg:large

Not to beat a dead horse, and I know it's too late for anything to be done about it, but this is just one of the reasons I don't like the new "look" of SLU athletics - I saw this and wondered WTH are "Bert's Herophones" and "Protocol Oronium"? While the new Billiken isn't too awful, I really dislike the new font. It just has no class, IMO.

I don't know if the typeface "has no class," but at least now I can see the difference between "D" and "O." The bottom is different.

Wow. I don't think it looks bad on the jerseys, but some fonts should just not be used for general text like that.

Here's some frame of reference, even at the biggest AD in the country there's problems. From my ongoing experience as a Masters Candidate at University of Texas.....

University of Texas fired their AD a few games into the football season, a plane flew over the 1st home game with a banner "Fire AD Patterson". The guy the field is named after didn't renew his luxury box. Their web-site is confusing. I organized a student group of 26 students and it confirmed my order but I didn't have tix 3 days prior to the game. Print at home tix weren't provided until day prior to the 1st game even though purchased months in advance. Basketball games are attended by a few people and maybe maybe 112 students. It is dead.

The spirit song "The Eyes of Texas" is to the tune of "I've been working on the railroad" the main cheer is "TEXAS" "FIGHT" that's it. Didn't stop them from winning 4 National Championships, 32 Conference Championships (that's just in FB) or signing the biggest Nike Collegiate deal of all time $250mil.

Crowd at Shaka Smart's First Home Game

IMG_20151201_211004142_zps3dawezg5.jpg

Student Section at the Second Home Game vs UT Arlington (UTA had just beat #20 OhSt and Memphis)

IMG_20151201_210019679_zpsdwm6hrmi.jpg

Here's some frame of reference, even at the biggest AD in the country there's problems. From my ongoing experience as a Masters Candidate at University of Texas.....

University of Texas fired their AD a few games into the football season, a plane flew over the 1st home game with a banner "Fire AD Patterson". The guy the field is named after didn't renew his luxury box. Their web-site is confusing. I organized a student group of 26 students and it confirmed my order but I didn't have tix 3 days prior to the game. Print at home tix weren't provided until day prior to the 1st game even though purchased months in advance. Basketball games are attended by a few people and maybe maybe 112 students. It is dead.

The spirit song "The Eyes of Texas" is to the tune of "I've been working on the railroad" the main cheer is "TEXAS" "FIGHT" that's it. Didn't stop them from winning 4 National Championships, 32 Conference Championships (that's just in FB) or signing the biggest Nike Collegiate deal of all time $250mil.

Crowd at Shaka Smart's First Home Game

IMG_20151201_211004142_zps3dawezg5.jpg

Student Section at the Second Home Game vs UT Arlington (UTA had just beat #20 OhSt and Memphis)

IMG_20151201_210019679_zpsdwm6hrmi.jpg

Well that puts things into perspective