GDT: Let's go exploring

bonwich

I was at the game and totally agree on Reggie. A lot of energy and great defense. He may have had only 3 rebounds but he kept a lot alive for others to get.

I think all of the freshman have shown dramatic improvement since the first game. I can't understand how some can't see it. We dont win without Jolly's effort today. His best game.

My concern isn't that individuals aren't improving. My concern is that while individuals ARE improving, we still haven't shown a whole lot of improvement as a team. We are wildly inconsistent from game to game. Hopefully today's victory is the start of a winning streak, and more importantly, a streak of stability and consistency.

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My concern isn't that individuals aren't improving. My concern is that while individuals ARE improving, we still haven't shown a whole lot of improvement as a team. We are wildly inconsistent from game to game. Hopefully today's victory is the start of a winning streak, and more importantly, a streak of stability and consistency.

Teams have to play together for extensive periods in order to develop continuity. Seems like there is an emphasis to do so now and we need to keep doing that. The individual improvements of these kids will continue with more team play as well.

This game was the only game that I can remember where the substitutions actually made sense and a main go-to group was established. Congrats to Crews on that. The best players (Reynolds, Ash, Roby, Milik, Reggie) were on the floor for long stretches that helped fuel our second half run. On top of that I thought Bartley, Jolly, and Crawford all played exceptional replacing this main unit. Bartley and Crawford each hit a 3, MC and BJ combined 9-10 from the line, and Jolly looked like he actaully belonged in Division 1. A recognized, contributing bench is vital.

McBrooooom needs work. Just hasn't found his rhythm to this point. I don't see how he could if he's playing 10 minutes one game and 30 the next. Needs to cut down on turnovers by realizing he isnt a ballhandler. Run him off-screens as an off-guard and get him some shots. He can shoot.

I think I speak for a large majority of this board when I say that I would rejoice if Lancona and Manning both hung it up. There's just no need for a couple of bums to get in the way of our (now improving) core. They bring almost nothing to the table in terms of playing the game of basketball. Some people have noted Lancona's moral support from the bench is there. Okay, so throw him a pair of pom-poms and let him do his thing.

Very uplifting win for everyone involved. Let's see if we cant string a few together before Brooklyn.

I think McBrooms issue is defense. His lack of height really hurts when he has to rotate onto a taller player. Since the other guards are much taller they dont have this problem. Taller guards also post him up.

The length in the SLU backcourt is going to be an asset going forward.

Last play of regulation, no time out called with 20 seconds left to set up a play. Play called from the bench was stand around and throw up a prayer.

The play Crews told Roby and the team to run was to flatten out on the baseline and let Roby go one on one off of a screen. The play was good, but I would have had Ash or Miles with the ball. It didn't work then, but the play worked for the first basket in OT when Roby scored on the drive.

It was a look that LaSalle hadn't seen during the game. I have no problems with not calling a TO there.

The play Crews told Roby and the team to run was to flatten out on the baseline and let Roby go one on one off of a screen. The play was good, but I would have had Ash or Miles with the ball. It didn't work then, but the play worked for the first basket in OT when Roby scored on the drive.

It was a look that LaSalle hadn't seen during the game. I have no problems with not calling a TO there.

agree with the lack of timeout, no need to add an inbounds play. I would though have the ball in Roby's hands. He is the only one on the court with the ability to finish strong and who does not turn the ball over much. All he needs is sone dreads and he could be JJ the Jett plane.......

As for Zack he dominated MY. Still my favorite memory of him is JJ scoring over him at LaSalle last year.

This game was the only game that I can remember where the substitutions actually made sense and a main go-to group was established. Congrats to Crews on that. The best players (Reynolds, Ash, Roby, Milik, Reggie) were on the floor for long stretches that helped fuel our second half run. On top of that I thought Bartley, Jolly, and Crawford all played exceptional replacing this main unit. Bartley and Crawford each hit a 3, MC and BJ combined 9-10 from the line, and Jolly looked like he actaully belonged in Division 1. A recognized, contributing bench is vital.

McBrooooom needs work. Just hasn't found his rhythm to this point. I don't see how he could if he's playing 10 minutes one game and 30 the next. Needs to cut down on turnovers by realizing he isnt a ballhandler. Run him off-screens as an off-guard and get him some shots. He can shoot.

I think I speak for a large majority of this board when I say that I would rejoice if Lancona and Manning both hung it up. There's just no need for a couple of bums to get in the way of our (now improving) core. They bring almost nothing to the table in terms of playing the game of basketball. Some people have noted Lancona's moral support from the bench is there. Okay, so throw him a pair of pom-poms and let him do his thing.

Very uplifting win for everyone involved. Let's see if we cant string a few together before Brooklyn.

no mention of Miles?

Last play of regulation, no time out called with 20 seconds left to set up a play. Play called from the bench was stand around and throw up a prayer.

It was the same play as few possessions earlier I think tied it up.

Roby isolated, drives and kicks. Went to the left corner both times. I think they were ready this time though.

It was the same play as few possessions earlier I think tied it up.

Roby isolated, drives and kicks. Went to the left corner both times. I think they were ready this time though.

+1 to say nothing was drawn up is just incorrect. Ball screen to free up the driver was there as well

+1 to say nothing was drawn up is just incorrect. Ball screen to free up the driver was there as well

While something was drawn up, I didn't like the play. If I can tell was the play is from the other baseline as an MBM, La Salle definitely knew what to expect. And they were ready to contest the kick.

Gillmann had 6 minutes today and Manning had 0. We're just going to throw various forward combos at the remaining teams on our schedule if today is any indication.

Obviously Manning doesn't bring much to the table. Gillmann should be a fine player in the long term but can't guard a post player at this point. I hate to see him lose minutes, but it might be necessary at times.

Gillmann's passes in the first half were terrible and resulted in turn overs. When balls are on the floor, while other players are diving on the floor for the balls, Gillmann is reaching for them. He seems like he wants to avoid contact. He'll have to change that.

-it did not sound good when they hit the floor

I'm sure Jolly's hip hurt quite a bit. He probably has zero muscle there since he obviously has never slidestepped on defense in his entire life. Hard to beef up those hip flexors when you don't FLEX 'em.

He either needs to work on moving his feet on defense, or start working out with Lancona's main b!tch. The only ways I can keep my hips in shape are skiing and fuoking.