Roby - PG?

slufan13

Anyone else think Roby could handle more ball-handling duties? I think he's a pretty good passer and has good vision out there along with solid size.

I think a lineup of Roby, Crawford, Yacoubou, Yarbrough, and Agbeko would be pretty appealing. Even though Yacoubou and Yarbrough get out of control at times, they can still bring the ball up to take some pressure off of Roby. I feel like this lineup gets your best scorers out there and doesn't sacrifice rebounding or defense.

I have faith in Bartley going forward, but he's almost looking like more of a spot-up shooter than a true PG

At the very least, I'd like to try something different. What we're doing now doesn't really seem to be working.

But JC doesn't know how to put the pieces in the right order...so yea. id subtract Yacobou and insert gillman. Play a true 3 forward set and go to work. Ash is too out of control.

Agreed, Ash had two key TOs in the final 3 minutes. A 4th year JR can't make those mistakes.

I don't view Roby as a PG. I think it is fair to be critical of why JC never really landed a true PG after Carter left. I saw both Roby and Reynolds several times on the tube last year and neither projected as a PG to me.

IF a couple of scholarships open up (which is now fair to mention, since the almighty Doctor B even speculated about it), we need to land a PG and a 4 - somebody to help run the offense and somebody else who is a low post scoring threat/rebounder.

I don't view Roby as a PG. I think it is fair to be critical of why JC never really landed a true PG after Carter left. I saw both Roby and Reynolds several times on the tube last year and neither projected as a PG to me.

IF a couple of scholarships open up (which is now fair to mention, since the almighty Doctor B even speculated about it), we need to land a PG and a 4 - somebody to help run the offense and somebody else who is a low post scoring threat/rebounder.

Not convinced he's a PG either, but it would be nice to test it out and see what we have.

Plus for me it's more about getting our best players on the floor together

I can't believe people would take Ash out of the lineup in any regard. He's the best all around player on the court when you look at his total game. He needs to cut down on turnovers and he needs to get some more shots to drop on drives. He also needs to improve his FT%.

I REALLY though Ash was going to do more this year and was saying he would be all conference. In hindsight, I am not sure why I felt that way though. He may be a fourth year Junior but he's still playing on an inexperienced team that in all reality really don't have it together in any regard. For a guy that sat out a year, stepping in on a team with raw, inexperienced players is not going to be easy. Crews said all along that he was in the same boat as the freshmen. Personally, I didn't want to believe that he would only bring what he brought at Villanova, but my friends who know the Villanova program very well said he is a freak athlete waiting to break out. However, he only averaged 11 minutes a game and 2.5 points a game in his two years at Villanova. I would say he has made quite improvement from that.

I fell victim to what many of us do about hearing reports about players prior to them ever suiting up and claiming they will do great things. But, all things considered, it's hard to complain about his game. He is a fierce defender and whoever he guards will have to work for all their points. He's a guard and tied for 1st on the team in rebounding and is averaging double figures in points. He gets to the free throw line more than anybody else on the team. Some of his moves are ridiculous. He needs to clean things up and develop more of a touch going to the basket.

I want him in the lineup and I want him playing 28 minutes a game. Next year, I will want the same thing. If he can average 12-13 points and 5 rebounds a game next year, I would say his transfer was a success. When I look at the all the players on the team and look at Ash's all around game, I can't think of anyone I would rather give his minutes to, this year or next year. The frustrating parts of his game are hard to stomach at times, but I can't see giving up everything else.

In regards to AG, I love the kid. BUT, his weaknesses on defense are really showing. I didn't expect anything more from a skinny freshman big, but his defense is so soft. I'm glad he's seeing time, but until he gains some weight and moves better on defense, he will struggle.

I can't believe people would take Ash out of the lineup in any regard. He's the best all around player on the court when you look at his total game. He needs to cut down on turnovers and he needs to get some more shots to drop on drives. He also needs to improve his FT%.

I REALLY though Ash was going to do more this year and was saying he would be all conference. In hindsight, I am not sure why I felt that way though. He may be a fourth year Junior but he's still playing on an inexperienced team that in all reality really don't have it together in any regard. For a guy that sat out a year, stepping in on a team with raw, inexperienced players is not going to be easy. Crews said all along that he was in the same boat as the freshmen. Personally, I didn't want to believe that he would only bring what he brought at Villanova, but my friends who know the Villanova program very well said he is a freak athlete waiting to break out. However, he only averaged 11 minutes a game and 2.5 points a game in his two years at Villanova. I would say he has made quite improvement from that.

I fell victim to what many of us do about hearing reports about players prior to them ever suiting up and claiming they will do great things. But, all things considered, it's hard to complain about his game. He is a fierce defender and whoever he guards will have to work for all their points. He's a guard and tied for 1st on the team in rebounding and is averaging double figures in points. He gets to the free throw line more than anybody else on the team. Some of his moves are ridiculous. He needs to clean things up and develop more of a touch going to the basket.

I want him in the lineup and I want him playing 28 minutes a game. Next year, I will want the same thing. If he can average 12-13 points and 5 rebounds a game next year, I would say his transfer was a success. When I look at the all the players on the team and look at Ash's all around game, I can't think of anyone I would rather give his minutes to, this year or next year. The frustrating parts of his game are hard to stomach at times, but I can't see giving up everything else.

In regards to AG, I love the kid. BUT, his weaknesses on defense are really showing. I didn't expect anything more from a skinny freshman big, but his defense is so soft. I'm glad he's seeing time, but until he gains some weight and moves better on defense, he will struggle.

I want him playing 33 minutes a game.

Yacoubou's turnovers are inexcusable sometimes and I thought he'd be a better shooter, but it's pretty hard to sit him. Maybe give him less shots and keep him more under control, but it's really hard to sit the guy.

Ash played 34 minutes last night. That's basically a 3 minute blow each half. Not sure if you want to push him much more than that. Last night and against St. Joe his shots were primarily drives to the bucket. Those he needs to keep taking. His 29% from the arc is below acceptable (I use 33% as a minimal benchmark).

Except for his letting VCU's Graham blow by him on the final drive, Ash's defense has been stellar. But his turnovers, as you say, are inexcusable.

We really could use a top notch ball handler on this team. One who doesn't pick up his dribble in a trap. One who doesn't get picked by someone coming up behind him. I don't think the answer is on the squad. Reynolds, Bartley and Roby all have A/TO ratios grouped between 1.29 and 1.23. Our most productive 'point guard' is McBroom at 1.53. Does H Waldman have any eligibility left?

Ash played 34 minutes last night. That's basically a 3 minute blow each half. Not sure if you want to push him much more than that. Last night and against St. Joe his shots were primarily drives to the bucket. Those he needs to keep taking. His 29% from the arc is below acceptable (I use 33% as a minimal benchmark).

Except for his letting VCU's Graham blow by him on the final drive, Ash's defense has been stellar. But his turnovers, as you say, are inexcusable.

We really could use a top notch ball handler on this team. One who doesn't pick up his dribble in a trap. One who doesn't get picked by someone coming up behind him. I don't think the answer is on the squad. Reynolds, Bartley and Roby all have A/TO ratios grouped between 1.29 and 1.23. Our most productive 'point guard' is McBroom at 1.53. Does H Waldman have any eligibility left?

Agree. I think 34 mins is a little much really. By "hard to sit him" I was responding to those who say he needs a lot less time.

But I think most on here agree. He needs to shoot better from 3 and his turnovers are careless. Not a product of being tired or great defense.

McBroom's minutes last night are a mystery to me. I'm not much of a McBroom fan, but he's better than 9 minutes a game.

I would like to experiment with Roby, if hes not as good as MB who cares. Its not like we're playing for anything other than player development at this point.

MR and MB aren't explosive enough to get people open.

SLU really does not have a true point guard. The A10 coaches game plan SLU & know in advance what SLU is trying to do in that motion offense.

The turnovers hurt, but frankly what player does SLU have who is better than Yacoubou? Answer: None.

Yacoubou is driving to the hoop in this offense out of necessity. Jordair Jett did same last year with a far better supporting cast, but was able to consistently finish at the rim.

Yacoubou is forced to do it all himself in this Shot Clock Expiration Offense.

A Turnover from him on this team, often borne by desperation and no help, Is insufficient reason to yank him from a close, winnable game at crunch time with 2 minutes left.

Even Ekker did not yank David Burns, not that I recall anyway.

Agree. We're bad enough in the final minutes of close games. Yanking one of our best players in that situation accomplishes nothing, stupid turnovers or not.

SLU really does not have a true point guard. The A10 coaches game plan SLU & know in advance what SLU is trying to do in that motion offense.

The turnovers hurt, but frankly what player does SLU have who is better than Yacoubou? Answer: None.

Yacoubou is driving to the hoop in this offense out of necessity. Jordair Jett did same last year with a far better supporting cast, but was able to consistently finish at the rim.

+1 oftentimes a wild, running Yacoubou drive is the only shot we can produce in those 35 seconds. He's just doing what he has to.

Ash's turnovers occur often in transition - not the result of a desperation drive as the shot clock is running down.

For every spectacular play he makes, he makes a boneheaded turnover.

I agree he's the best on the team and creating a scoring chance for himself out of nothing, and needs to be a significant part of the game plan, but if we're yanking rebounders for not boxing out, why aren't we yanking Ash for his repeated unforced turnovers as he plays out of control?

2 things we don't want in the game in crunch time: poor FT shooters and turnover machines

totally agree