Roby - PG?

slufan13

Ash's turnovers occur often in transition - not the result of a desperation drive as the shot clock is running down.

For every spectacular play he makes, he makes a boneheaded turnover.

I agree he's the best on the team and creating a scoring chance for himself out of nothing, and needs to be a significant part of the game plan, but if we're yanking rebounders for not boxing out, why aren't we yanking Ash for his repeated unforced turnovers as he plays out of control?

2 things we don't want in the game in crunch time: poor FT shooters and turnover machines

People complained about Jett's turnovers his sophomore and Junior seasons. He cleaned it up. Ash is just trying to do much on a very flat team. While I don't like this turnovers, there is nobody else that brings what he brings.

People complained about Jett's turnovers his sophomore and Junior seasons. He cleaned it up. Ash is just trying to do much on a very flat team. While I don't like this turnovers, there is nobody else that brings what he brings.

Jordair Jett is an exception to every rule. He's not a model to be applied to other players. Ash is not as valueable defensively as Jett nor does he have the uncanny ability to score in the clutch. He does make some nice highlight reel plays, but nowhere near as consistently as Jett did.

I don't remember people complaining about Jordair at all beyond his freshman year. The numbers indicate Jett committed fewer turnovers per 100 possessions in those seasons you mention than his POY season.

2010-11: 6.4

2011-12: 3.9

2012-13: 5.0

2013-14: 5.4

At lot of that has to do with his responsibilities running the offense. Guys who run the offense are naturally going to have more touches and have more opportunities for turnovers. Fatigue is also a factor. Guys who play more minutes are more likely to get fatigued and suffer a lapse that results in a turnover.

SLU has had 2 dreadful losses in succession, committing 38 turnovers in the process. Ash has been the worst turnover offender and he's not even a point guard.

I think you Ash honks are over-valuing flashy 2pt layups and undervaluing turnovers.

I've been at the last 2 games, watch many of the others on TV.

I do not like the yanks; I think they can be counterproductive with certain players. But my understanding is Duff Man is not saying to yank after 1 error.

My issue is not to condone the turnovers, but rather the acknowledgment that with MY neutralized lately at the 4, then other than some scoring help from DR, SLU really does not have another scorer option other than AY. The SLU Offense has really been struggling. Sometimes AY drives to the hoop, going one on one, and at times the same from DR, are SLU's only scoring options.

I like MC, but he is not as good on defense as AY, nor as good a rebounder as AY. As another noted, I wish there was a way SLU could get DR, AY, MY, and MC all on the floor at the same time, but it just doesn't seem possible. There is no big in that mix to rebound and no point guard either. Even if RA mans the 5th spot, there is still no point guard in there. This thread asks if DR could be the point guard. I don't think so because he does not appear to be a natural point guard. He is the #2 ball handler as is now.