Bird Hunting Off the MD Couch .....

Taj79

... I know it was voted like "top college mascot" from a somewhat quirky angle but somebody out to shoot that flapping monstrosity off the side of the St. Joe's bench. Just plain annoying. And the costume looks like something as old as Vaudeville and Burlesque days. Now did we party with the St.Joe's team attendant in the black dress with black leather accents? Mothers lock up your daughters ..... because we're coming for you ... eventually .... tarheel can drive.

Great game from a "must win" and "most needed" aspect. DeAndre Bembry is the leading scorer in A10 play with about 17 ppg and while he met and passed that with 19, it was the quietest 19 I have ever seen. Yacoubou and Roby really stuck to him and demonstrated quite vividly how that needs to be done and what it takes to win. A teaching moment, Jim?

Once again I read the GDT and find the emotions there somewhat hilarious based on the ebb and flow witnessed last night. It is not actually funny or trivial, well,it's more funny when we win, but I have to admit to sharing some of those same thoughts as we moved through it. Nick trashed Reggie and then reversed course late. I think Big Mouth called "ballgame" way too early. The put downs of Manning and his concussion. f05 calling Yarbrough a few choice names. Oh well .. heat of the battle.

Star of the game honors certainly go to Yacoubou. To do what he did to Bembry on the defensive end (with help from Roby) AND score 20 points is pretty amazing. Usually, when you are the defensive stopper. you concentrate solely on it and lose the focus on the other side of the ball. Not the case with Ash last night. Although at least at the end, St.Joe's defense was quite phantom-like. Must've been the foul trouble that both Miles and Brown played with. And still, with all the good work, Bembry tied the game late and almost got an and 1 there.

Second star of the game goes to Bartley. I see a lot of hope for this kid in the future. Put some weight on. Get stronger. Understand the game. Avoid the dumb fouls and this kid I think will be very good. Not to be discounted but having to cover Chris Wilson is a lot different than having it be Gordon or Weber or some of the other nicer guards in the league. Kid got 34 great minutes last night, made some nice passes, freed himself up for the assist from Reynolds who was in deep kimshe, made the sweet go-ahead lay up and did a lot of things pretty well. He is just a better point guard than McBroom ever was/can be.

Agbeko had a nice game, not as "holy cow wow" as the VCU game but key nonetheless. He continues to impress me as the only guy able to compete on the glass for us. I just wish he did more good than bad and more often. Miles Reynolds seemed to add energy to the team when he came in and it was needed at that juncture. Brett Jolly seems to be able to put a chip on his shoulder and be physical, more so than Gillmann. There are glimpses all around this team but the growing pains will continue. It sure would be nice to get a win at Fordham next. Despite the happy feelings with the win, it will still be a battle in the Bronx Saturday. Fordham is so playground, I hope we can impose our will over theirs and play smart.

Yarbrough. Lots of growing to do. He was stil pressing and in turn rushing the game way too much last night. I like that his shot total of 12 was less than 25% of our total shots. And he had some nice assists and passes. But you can tell he still thinks he's a guard for now and I really do wish he'd take that defensive-rebound-dribble-length-of-floor part of his game out of the repetoire. And he stands around way too much on defense --- he was really burned on that late Bembry-to-Baumann feed for the and-1. Again, time wil only tell and as they say, the speed of the game drops as the game becomes clearer to you. Milik is forcing too, too much right now. Key example: in the second half he got an entry pass on the low left block. He saw the double team coming and moved out to the sideline via the dribble. But the double stayed with him and he got pinned to the sideline and then turned it over. He needs better, quicker recognition. As he continues to rush, he also moves himself into more blocks from sagging defenders. Slowing it down, pump faking, etc. and that will open up.

First half: Bembry's supporting cast was alive, well and accounted for. Miles and Brown came to play that half. Again, I am not an Aaron Brown fan but initial thoughts were we'd make a star of an unknown once again. Miles is incredibly streaky. While their start sent shudders through me, I was curious if they could keep it up. And they did not. Then I was worried Bembry would do to us what he did to Umass starting the second half. And he did not. Credit to Ash. Another thing some have missed on Ash's effort is how his defense literally shut down the whole Hawk offense. Without Bembry with the ball and initiating, it got incredibly stiff in the second half for them.

Once again, free throws were weak but luckily we survived. Both teams shot 11-for-17 so we can say our weakness was negated equally by theirs. While we outrebounded somebody overall, they doubled us on the offensive board end. I guess that's why I get to "Yay Reggie" at times on our defensive end. So while a win is nice, there are obviously still things to work on. Can't wait.

Odds & ends: At the opening, CBS SN focused on Bembry and Yarborugh, talking about youth being served on both teams in comparison to last year. But while discussing Yarbrough, they showed Agbeko warming up. Make of that what you like ...... For those b*tching about the "A10 refs" (which I heard one guy on the telecast screaming about late), Pat Driscoll had the Virginia/North Carolina game the night before last ..... Alaa Abdelnaby isn't too bad of a color commentor for CBS. Much better than Steve Wolf and not even close as irritating as Pete Gillen..... Can we fire our time keeping crew as well as Guy Phillips? How does one just stop the clock (for about 9 seconds per CBS' count/14 by the refs) in the middle of a "passive" possession by St. Joe's at the 4:36 mark so late second half? How does that happen? .... Was that kshoe high-fiving Ash in the stands after the and-1 situational foul late? Freaking camera hog lately .... I can appreciate Fightin' Phil's remark about the game at least being called consistently. But we will always have a chance to win as long as Phil patrols the St. Joe's sideline That's nine straight for us over them now..... Lancona? Lancona? (Use cadence from Ferris Beuhler movie)..... Good early note from CBS on the Manning injury. I got to inform some of you in the stands as to where he was and why. I CAN be useful .....

Look for us at Brooklyn .. I'll be between two lovely ladies, an old floormate and the bellowing (I's sure) Bay Area ...... can I look for anyone else?

... I know it was voted like "top college mascot" from a somewhat quirky angle but somebody out to shoot that flapping monstrosity off the side of the St. Joe's bench. Just plain annoying. And the costume looks like something as old as Vaudeville and Burlesque days. Now did we party with the St.Joe's team attendant in the black dress with black leather accents? Mothers lock up your daughters ..... because we're coming for you ... eventually .... tarheel can drive.

Great game from a "must win" and "most needed" aspect. DeAndre Bembry is the leading scorer in A10 play with about 17 ppg and while he met and passed that with 19, it was the quietest 19 I have ever seen. Yacoubou and Roby really stuck to him and demonstrated quite vividly how that needs to be done and what it takes to win. A teaching moment, Jim?

Once again I read the GDT and find the emotions there somewhat hilarious based on the ebb and flow witnessed last night. It is not actually funny or trivial, well,it's more funny when we win, but I have to admit to sharing some of those same thoughts as we moved through it. Nick trashed Reggie and then reversed course late. I think Big Mouth called "ballgame" way too early. The put downs of Manning and his concussion. f05 calling Yarbrough a few choice names. Oh well .. heat of the battle.

Star of the game honors certainly go to Yacoubou. To do what he did to Bembry on the defensive end (with help from Roby) AND score 20 points is pretty amazing. Usually, when you are the defensive stopper. you concentrate solely on it and lose the focus on the other side of the ball. Not the case with Ash last night. Although at least at the end, St.Joe's defense was quite phantom-like. Must've been the foul trouble that both Miles and Brown played with. And still, with all the good work, Bembry tied the game late and almost got an and 1 there.

Second star of the game goes to Bartley. I see a lot of hope for this kid in the future. Put some weight on. Get stronger. Understand the game. Avoid the dumb fouls and this kid I think will be very good. Not to be discounted but having to cover Chris Wilson is a lot different than having it be Gordon or Weber or some of the other nicer guards in the league. Kid got 34 great minutes last night, made some nice passes, freed himself up for the assist from Reynolds who was in deep kimshe, made the sweet go-ahead lay up and did a lot of things pretty well. He is just a better point guard than McBroom ever was/can be.

Agbeko had a nice game, not as "holy cow wow" as the VCU game but key nonetheless. He continues to impress me as the only guy able to compete on the glass for us. I just wish he did more good than bad and more often. Miles Reynolds seemed to add energy to the team when he came in and it was needed at that juncture. Brett Jolly seems to be able to put a chip on his shoulder and be physical, more so than Gillmann. There are glimpses all around this team but the growing pains will continue. It sure would be nice to get a win at Fordham next. Despite the happy feelings with the win, it will still be a battle in the Bronx Saturday. Fordham is so playground, I hope we can impose our will over theirs and play smart.

Yarbrough. Lots of growing to do. He was stil pressing and in turn rushing the game way too much last night. I like that his shot total of 12 was less than 25% of our total shots. And he had some nice assists and passes. But you can tell he still thinks he's a guard for now and I really do wish he'd take that defensive-rebound-dribble-length-of-floor part of his game out of the repetoire. And he stands around way too much on defense --- he was really burned on that late Bembry-to-Baumann feed for the and-1. Again, time wil only tell and as they say, the speed of the game drops as the game becomes clearer to you. Milik is forcing too, too much right now. Key example: in the second half he got an entry pass on the low left block. He saw the double team coming and moved out to the sideline via the dribble. But the double stayed with him and he got pinned to the sideline and then turned it over. He needs better, quicker recognition. As he continues to rush, he also moves himself into more blocks from sagging defenders. Slowing it down, pump faking, etc. and that will open up.

First half: Bembry's supporting cast was alive, well and accounted for. Miles and Brown came to play that half. Again, I am not an Aaron Brown fan but initial thoughts were we'd make a star of an unknown once again. Miles is incredibly streaky. While their start sent shudders through me, I was curious if they could keep it up. And they did not. Then I was worried Bembry would do to us what he did to Umass starting the second half. And he did not. Credit to Ash. Another thing some have missed on Ash's effort is how his defense literally shut down the whole Hawk offense. Without Bembry with the ball and initiating, it got incredibly stiff in the second half for them.

Once again, free throws were weak but luckily we survived. Both teams shot 11-for-17 so we can say our weakness was negated equally by theirs. While we outrebounded somebody overall, they doubled us on the offensive board end. I guess that's why I get to "Yay Reggie" at times on our defensive end. So while a win is nice, there are obviously still things to work on. Can't wait.

Odds & ends: At the opening, CBS SN focused on Bembry and Yarborugh, talking about youth being served on both teams in comparison to last year. But while discussing Yarbrough, they showed Agbeko warming up. Make of that what you like ...... For those b*tching about the "A10 refs" (which I heard one guy on the telecast screaming about late), Pat Driscoll had the Virginia/North Carolina game the night before last ..... Alaa Abdelnaby isn't too bad of a color commentor for CBS. Much better than Steve Wolf and not even close as irritating as Pete Gillen..... Can we fire our time keeping crew as well as Guy Phillips? How does one just stop the clock (for about 9 seconds per CBS' count/14 by the refs) in the middle of a "passive" possession by St. Joe's at the 4:36 mark so late second half? How does that happen? .... Was that kshoe high-fiving Ash in the stands after the and-1 situational foul late? Freaking camera hog lately .... I can appreciate Fightin' Phil's remark about the game at least being called consistently. But we will always have a chance to win as long as Phil patrols the St. Joe's sideline That's nine straight for us over them now..... Lancona? Lancona? (Use cadence from Ferris Beuhler movie)..... Good early note from CBS on the Manning injury. I got to inform some of you in the stands as to where he was and why. I CAN be useful .....

Look for us at Brooklyn .. I'll be between two lovely ladies, an old floormate and the bellowing (I's sure) Bay Area ...... can I look for anyone else?

I stand by my opinion on Yarbrough

And I am not criticizing it, just using it as an example. Everyone is entitled to opinions. Keep them coming.

Just don't say Jett might transfer. You'll never hear the end of it.

I was definitely in the heat of battle on my Reggie bashing, but man I hate when he dribbles (So does Crews apparently from the post game presser).

I was so happy to see that it was largely our freshman who pulled us out of the 13 point hole late in the first half. Miles is a spark and I think he will be fine to spell Bartley at PG as he grows up and improves. For some reason I get the sense that MAYBE Miles is okay with this role. He doesnt strike me as a Ruben Cotto-type who thinks he is good enough for the NBA. Maybe he just wants to play a role in the growth of a team that will likely compete for a sweet 16 bid in 2 years. I hope so bc while he is out of control...he is faster then anyone on the court...in every game sans VCU. Crews has to find a spot for him.

Milik is reverting back to freshmen status a little bit and frankly that is okay with me. This team needs to play as a team and will not benefit itself by having a single player putting up 20 shots a game. That is basically where St Joes is now and the non-Bembry players just stand and wait for one player to carry them.

Bartley grows up every game...he still needs to be able to keep his man in front of him. Call Mike McCall...I believe he found a way to improve in this area.

Gillman and Jolly will continue to improve. They should be in the weight room 2-3 hours a day.

Ash is kind of playing the role of stop gap right now for me. He is just a random upperclassman who get minutes while we wait for the freshmen to grow up and take us to the dance. He had a nice game tonight but his play is meh for me.

Lastly (and Shockingly) Lancona seemed to still be cheering on the team and not Keith Carter-ing after playing 0 mins. Hot GFs will do that to you.

I would like to go on a mini-run here and maybe get a home game in the A10 tourney...

And I am not criticizing it, just using it as an example. Everyone is entitled to opinions. Keep them coming.

Just don't say Jett might transfer. You'll never hear the end of it.

I do find it odd that you think Milik needs to have quicker recognition but that his biggest problem is he rushes things. Sounds like one of those coach-speak statements that you need to be be quick but don't rush.

In truth, I think Milik's slump the last 3 games can be attributed to him now being the primary focus of other team's defenses. Whereas he used to have one guy covering him, now defenses are using 2, sometimes 3 players to cover him. Hence the high number of blocked shots after he beats his initial defender off the dribble.

It's common for young talented players to go through a tough stretch when defenses begin to focus on them. The good ones find a way to adjust and I'm fairly certain Milik will figure it out soon enough.

I do find it odd that you think Milik needs to have quicker recognition but that his biggest problem is he rushes things. Sounds like one of those coach-speak statements that you need to be be quick but don't rush.

In truth, I think Milik's slump the last 3 games can be attributed to him now being the primary focus of other team's defenses. Whereas he used to have one guy covering him, now defenses are using 2, sometimes 3 players to cover him. Hence the high number of blocked shots after he beats his initial defender off the dribble.

It's common for young talented players to go through a tough stretch when defenses begin to focus on them. The good ones find a way to adjust and I'm fairly certain Milik will figure it out soon enough.

Not to mention the proverbial "wall" that MY might be hitting at this point. Crews has stated (maybe multiple times) and the TV announcers have repeated the willingness of MY to learn/mature and that MY admits his lack of college bball at this point. I agree with kshoe, i'm confident MY will figure it out.

On another note, it was good to see the camaraderie between the Billiken players on the court and bench. They looked and acted genuinely excited for each other. I'm sure they were all a little pissy after so many near-misses, but there didn't seem to be any real issues of discord between the players last night.

1/2 through the season after over a year off, AY seems to be putting it together. I submit that after such a long layoff and playing with talented but inexperienced teammates have contributed to a less-than-expected AY. I think he'll finish up the season nicely and be ready to play well from the start next season. I think we're going to see a lot more games like last night from AY.

If our bigs can continue to improve their screens, our guards/MY should free up for some easy looks. We have at least 5 guys (MY, AY, MB, MR, DR, MC, AM) that can explode to the hole if given a decent screen.

Oh...does that not exist anymore. I meant...not have to play on Tuesday. Does that make more sense?

No, since the tournament starts on Wednesday and the champ game is on Selection Sunday :D

Wednesday: 11 v. 14; 12 v. 13

Thursday: 5 v 12/13; 6 v. 11/14; 7 v. 10; 8 v 9

Friday: Quarterfinals

Saturday: Semis

Sunday: Final

All in Brooklyn

@kshoe --- its the difference between fast and quick. Its playing the game but letting the game come to you. Its being in the zone and not zoned out. It's Ash hitting a three which then makes his man play up on him which allows him to quick-first-step past the guy and attempt the easier, closer layup.

Milik was rushing to the basket last night, everyone could see that. Dribbled off his legonce. Another time was too far under the basket when he went up. Layup attempts with arms and legs akimbo while trying to make it look like he was fouled more than he was. Stuff like that. Evans used to do it when I complained about him missing bunnies. I still believe he knew bigger trees were in that forest and if he didn't rush, the shot would never get off,let alone go in. So he rushed it and blew his fair, makeable share.

Having said that, I also agree with you, another part of the rush is the very defense he is facing that you so aptly described. In some other thread, I mentioned how tough it gets as the conference season moves along. Film is shared. Scouting reports exchanged. Defense geared to stop one guy or another. Milik is seeing this for sure. I also believe he was a guard in high school, or at least thought like one. His understanding of post play is likely low and with guys bigger and just as fast as he is, he has to adjust to that too. Kind of like forward Marque Perry becoming point guard Marque Perry. I also believe those scouting reports are saying "get 0 in foul trouble" because he is the only true point SLU has.

And I agree on your closing point. The kids I think will be all right. This is a great season if for nothign other than th ehope it brings. They look good in parts. When it gels into a whole, it coudlbe th elast few years allover again.

1/2 through the season after over a year off, AY seems to be putting it together. I submit that after such a long layoff and playing with talented but inexperienced teammates have contributed to a less-than-expected AY. I think he'll finish up the season nicely and be ready to play well from the start next season. I think we're going to see a lot more games like last night from AY.

It took Kwamain a while to get back into the swing of things. I remember it took him 15ish games to regain that 'instinct'. Hopefully Yacoubou is similar and he turns it on for the rest of the season.

Wednesday: 11 v. 14; 12 v. 13

Thursday: 5 v 12/13; 6 v. 11/14; 7 v. 10; 8 v 9

Friday: Quarterfinals

Saturday: Semis

Sunday: Final

All in Brooklyn

So if we don't finish in top 10 of A10 and we make the dance we have to win 5 games. If we finish 5-10 4 games, and those that finish 1-4 would only have to win 3 to win A10 tournament.

@almaman -- yep, double bye for the top four teams. Most is winning five games in five days. Least is 3 in three. If the season ended today, we'd be the 12th seed and play Duquesne. Right now, we are a game out of tenth but have the head-to-head tiebreaker aginst #10 base donbeat them, last night.

I think it is reasonable to shoot for a finish that gets up off that Wednesday and starts us on Thursday. Even getting thatfar up the food chainmight be a herculean task right now.

@almaman -- yep, double bye for the top four teams. Most is winning five games in five days. Least is 3 in three. If the season ended today, we'd be the 12th seed and play Duquesne. Right now, we are a game out of tenth but have the head-to-head tiebreaker aginst #10 base donbeat them, last night.

I think it is reasonable to shoot for a finish that gets up off that Wednesday and starts us on Thursday. Even getting thatfar up the food chainmight be a herculean task right now.

Stoptrying topostfrom yourfidpcellphoneTajjjjj. Yourtoold.

I stand by my opinion on Yarbrough

Yea. 12 pts, 50% from the field 7 boards and 3 assists. I disagree with Taj on his board and length of the court drive. He handles the ball well for a frosh his size and imo seems to have as good if not better vision than anyone else on the floor. He does try and do too much occasionally but he's 20+ games into his college career.

He's got as much potential and upside of any player we've had since Hughes. By his Jr year he'll be a 14-15 pt / 7 rb / 3 ass per game guy.

So if we don't finish in top 10 of A10 and we make the dance we have to win 5 games. If we finish 5-10 4 games, and those that finish 1-4 would only have to win 3 to win A10 tournament.

Put more optimistically; if we start the A-10 tourney on Wednesday we are only 11 wins away from a national championship...

As a Fordham Dad, and with Fordham alumnus son and his girlfriend scheduled to be with me, my intention is to be the model of proper decorum, setting a good example for the Millennials, and most of all not embarrassing either, especially the girlfriend. If things go South (or in the A10's case, East) in any fashion, such as should the wrong zebras escape from the Bronx Zoo across the road and start "officiating" inappropriately, just nudge me or give me the look. I'll get the message.

Plus, the new SLU President is reportedly going to be there.

I have been inside Historic Rose Hill Gym, but not for a Fordham Basketball game. The place is small in terms of seating capacity, about 9 rows on 1 side, 12 rows on the other, with 25 rows behind each basket. But the place does not seem confined like a McKeon Pavilion (St. Mary's of CA). As noted, Rose Hill Gym has bleachers behind both baskets, not protruding walls like McKeon Pavilion or LaSalle (are those walls a Christian Brothers thing?). I was inside this Rose Hill edifice for my son's Baccalaureate Mass the evening before Graduation. Ironically and fittingly, I looked above us and noticed we were were sitting right under the blue with white lettering "SAINT LOUIS" banner. I'm told, unconfirmed, that Rose Hill Gym is the only college basketball facility with stained glass windows.

Now this being said, there is no doubt where my loyalties lie in this one: Let's Go Bills! My kid and my money may have gone to Fordham University (not an original thought, once seen on the back of a fellow Fordham Dad's T-Shirt), but I am and will always be a Billiken.

Yea. 12 pts, 50% from the field 7 boards and 3 assists. I disagree with Taj on his board and length of the court drive. He handles the ball well for a frosh his size and imo seems to have as good if not better vision than anyone else on the floor. He does try and do too much occasionally but he's 20+ games into his college career.

He's got as much potential and upside of any player we've had since Hughes. By his Jr year he'll be a 14-15 pt / 7 rb / 3 ass per game guy.

I noted that I've never seen a player score 12 points and do so much to hurt his team at the same time.

My brother used to live in NYC and I saw a game at Rose Hill. I thought it was a really cool place to watch a game. Much nicer than I expected.

For a bad team, Fordham can score a bit. No conference game is going to be easy for us, especially on the road. They nearly beat URI. They will be hungry, as I'm sure they view this as a good opportunity to get a W.

indeed. was Memphis Miracle 4 or 5 games?

While the St. Joe's Hawk is certainly an interesting aviary study, at the '14 A10 Tournament in Brooklyn, I was impressed with the chant made by the St. Joe's students when the opponent missed a free throw. The St. Joe's students then chanted in unison: "You let the whole team down. You let the whole team down. You let the whole team down. ..."

As for the Hawk, observation showed that the Hawk continues to flap one wing even when getting a drink of water out of a drinking fountain, or while patting St. Joe's players on the bench after a job well done.

Next on the docket are the Fordham Rams. The new Ram looks more like a cow. Fordham reportedly had to dismiss the old Ram mascot and logo, which were much better looking, upon reported objection from a car manufacturer.

A current maroon Fordham cap has just the "F." Another claim is the old Fordham cap, with the lettering "FU" was dismissed by the Jesuits.