Crews Radio Show

slufan13

2/3 thru with season...? When did they start last year?

In past years with Spoon, Romer & Sodie it usually began with conference play. Spoon was the best with the media, he also a post game radio show at his restaurant and seem to recall a TV show. Rick had a show the first year and it didn't go well. Was not really into it. Gary seemed to be the only one to get through with questions.

Lots of talk early about how you have to work on the simple things with the young guys and how you have to show film before the guys really realize what they're doing or not doing.

Said Welmer is lean but is very skilled. Good shooter, good passer.

Neufeld is 6'10 220 lbs and they're hoping he'll be 250 before he leaves SLU. Can play inside and out. Good family of athletes.

Seemed to favor Neufeld if trying to see who will be better next year.

Said that Bartley and Reynolds need to put on weight and Roby needs to get a lot stronger despite his solid build.

He likes the ability of our guards to post up and some of our bigger guys bringing the ball up.

Wants to play fast but it's hard for young guys to play fast but also under control and through a system.

Spoon was killer. That show with Karraker helped promote the program and probably pulled in a lot of casual fans. He didn't talk all that much about the Bills. It was kind of like a down home w/ Country Charlie.

The country approach plays really well in STL (see Spoon, Whitey, et al). A little too well.

The country approach plays really well in STL (see Spoon, Whitey, et al). A little too well.

:lol: From what I recall. Spoon was a great storyteller, but delivered very little info that pertained to the team. Romar was a nice guy and very smooth on the radio, talked more about basketball, but didn't go too deep with it. Sodie gave a good effort, but was very dull. RM started slow during his tenure and the call in format did not work for him, but his last 2-3 years, he was by far the best SLU coach in the media. He didn't like the coaches show, but he did more radio interviews than any SLU coach... I personally liked the tangents about food and Orin Hatch, but I know that wasn't very everybody. But if you could get through that stuff, nobody revealed more about basketball strategy and recruiting than RM. No SLU coach was a bigger ambassador for talking up the school. And I think one of his greatest contributions to the program was how he handled the media post-Situation. While some on this board were freaking out during that season, RM was on any outlet that would have him telling the fans to stick with the young team, that they were going to be good the following season - that's exactly what happened. It would have been very easy for RM, with his money, health condition, plus having to deal with Biondi, to have bailed right after the decision regarding the situation was handed down.

This could be why in a city that is 50% black the crowd at the average sports event is roughly 95% white.

That said, I liked both Whitey and Spoon. Of course, I'm also white and at least half hoosier.

This could be why in a city that is 50% black the crowd at the average sports event is roughly 95% white.

That said, I liked both Whitey and Spoon. Of course, I'm also white and at least half hoosier.

The city maybe around 50-50, but in the greater metro area the percent of the population that is black is closer to 18%.

Wait a minute, I think I am offended. Or maybe not. I'll get back to you. Be ready to defend yourself, fake Hoosier!

Yeah, I am definitely a fake (proper noun) Hoosier. I did spend many a summer day swimming in my galvanized tank/pool and riding my bike in the dried out bed of the River Des Peres growing up, though, so I come by my (improper) hoosier tendencies fairly naturally.

You think that is why?

I think it's part of the reason. St. Louis likes billing itself as an aw shucks "small town" and quasi-flyover cowtown-type region. I do think that's part of why Whitey and Spoon (and again, I was a big fan of both of them) were lionized as such heroes by the local media and opinion makers. The truth is it's not. It's one of the top 20 biggest metros in the country. We're not all country folk here, but that has become part of the brand we sell outsiders, and I think that affects people who don't fit into that demographic often not buying into the identity of the region to a great extent.

Mostly I just thought it was a funny and thought-provoking observation. He is right that the country schtick has always done well here, better than it actually should based on the reality of what the region looks like.

The city maybe around 50-50, but in the greater metro area the percent of the population that is black is closer to 18%.

Actually, it is a shade over 20 now by the most recent estimates I have seen. Obviously a notch or two even higher if you count only City and County.

But yes, I realize that there is a difference between city and metro demographic numbers. I mentioned city because all of our major sporting events are still here, and because in other metro areas the audience at major sporting events tend to better reflect the demographics of the central city better than they do here. Yeah, black sports fans aren't huge about going to MLB or NHL games on a national level either, but we have three major league sports plus a college basketball program in a state with no NBA team. At none of those games do black fans come even close to representing the proportion of the crowd that they do of the actual region's population, even for football or basketball.

Actually, it is a shade over 20 now by the most recent estimates I have seen. Obviously a notch or two even higher if you count only City and County.

But yes, I realize that there is a difference between city and metro demographic numbers. I mentioned city because all of our major sporting events are still here, and because in other metro areas the audience at major sporting events tend to better reflect the demographics of the central city better than they do here. Yeah, black sports fans aren't huge about going to MLB or NHL games on a national level either, but we have three major league sports plus a college basketball program in a state with no NBA team. At none of those games do black fans come even close to representing the proportion of the crowd that they do of the actual region's population, even for football or basketball.

They don't, but I think that is true of most pro sports teams outside the NBA. Even college basketball and football crowds are overly white. That is why I think an NBA team here would be a big time success. There is a large untapped market here in this region with money to spend.

Most sports teams' crowds don't reflect the demographics of their regions, but I have a hunch St. Louis would be near the bottom of that list. I've never seen a good study on the issue in terms of individual cities, but just going off what I see, our crowds tend not just to look heavily white but really, really heavily white. Part of that is the Cardinals drawing from a regional fan base in mostly rural areas, but the Rams have almost strictly a local fan base, and even there I suspect we are well below the league-wide average in terms of getting black fans to come to games.

I suspect one reason might be the corollary to the Whitey/Spoon country boy angle. Outside Romar, there has never been a non-white head coach for any of the major teams. I think that matters. Look at the VCU games here. Black b-ball fans show up to watch Shaka's teams. I have several black friends who are big hoops fans and make a point to come to the VCU games, even if they don't make it to any other Bills games.

Yeah, I am definitely a fake (proper noun) Hoosier. I did spend many a summer day swimming in my galvanized tank/pool and riding my bike in the dried out bed of the River Des Peres growing up, though, so I come by my (improper) hoosier tendencies fairly naturally.

I think it's part of the reason. St. Louis likes billing itself as an aw shucks "small town" and quasi-flyover cowtown-type region. I do think that's part of why Whitey and Spoon (and again, I was a big fan of both of them) were lionized as such heroes by the local media and opinion makers. The truth is it's not. It's one of the top 20 biggest metros in the country. We're not all country folk here, but that has become part of the brand we sell outsiders, and I think that affects people who don't fit into that demographic often not buying into the identity of the region to a great extent.

Mostly I just thought it was a funny and thought-provoking observation. He is right that the country schtick has always done well here, better than it actually should based on the reality of what the region looks like.

OK, I know you aren't really interested, but I am going to post this anyway. While there is no verifiable answer to the derivation of the term Hoosier, the following is what is thought to be likely most correct.

A Louisville contractor named Samuel Hoosier preferred to hire workers from communities on the Indiana side of the Ohio River like New Albany rather than Kentuckians. During the excavation of the first canal around the Falls of the Ohio from 1826 to 1833, his employees became known as "Hoosier's men" and then simply "Hoosiers". The usage spread from these hard-working laborers to all of the Indiana boatmen in the area and then spread north with the settlement of the state.

OK, I know you aren't really interested, but I am going to post this anyway. While there is no verifiable answer to the derivation of the term Hoosier, the following is what is thought to be likely most correct.

A Louisville contractor named Samuel Hoosier preferred to hire workers from communities on the Indiana side of the Ohio River like New Albany rather than Kentuckians. During the excavation of the first canal around the Falls of the Ohio from 1826 to 1833, his employees became known as "Hoosier's men" and then simply "Hoosiers". The usage spread from these hard-working laborers to all of the Indiana boatmen in the area and then spread north with the settlement of the state.

that actually is the most often cited origin of the term "hoosier", as used exclusively in the in st. louis area.

it a another way to call someone "white trash", and can be a noun, an adjective, whatever: "you are a goddam hoosier", "that is a hoosier neighborhood".

that actually is the most often cited origin of the term "hoosier", as used exclusively in the in st. louis area.

it a another way to call someone "white trash", and can be a noun, an adjective, whatever: "you are a goddam hoosier", "that is a hoosier neighborhood".

I just lost it thinking of a well-to-do St. Louisian yelling across the fence at his neighbor, Uncle Eddie, "YOU ARE A GODDAMN HOOSIER."