Other A-10 Action

almaman

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

At this point I think the a-10 would be fortunate to get 3 teams in the dance. 2 is likely but one is even possible if VCU and Dayton continue to fall apart down the stretch.

Right now, two seems to be the absolute bottom line mark in my opinion. Even if VCU only wins 2-3 more the rest of the season, their RPI will still be in the 20s or low 30s. They probably had the toughest OOC schedule in the country this season. Dayton isn't yet a 'lock' but they seem primed to win their next four games (St. Bonnie, St. Joe, Duquesne, GMU...all but one at home), meaning that they will in all likelihood finish with at least 22-23 wins and an RPI somewhere in the 30s to 40s.

Beyond that, you have four teams that are classic bubble cases (GW, URI, UMass, Davidson) and two others (LaSalle and Richmond) with long shots but still a glimmer of hope. Looking at the resumes, it would seem UMass has a pretty good shot right now, due to their tough OOC schedule, combined with the fact that they've now won five in a row. They look to be finding their groove at the right time.

After UMass, it gets a lot fuzzier, but you'd have to think that it is at least even money that one of the remaining five can sneak in as an 11-13 seed.

Unlike Steve Wolf who called Dayton a lock on the Tuesday telecast, I'm not so sure. VCU should be a lock by now. In Joe Lunardi's Bracketology as of February 9, he has VCU a five and Dayton as a 10. That's it for the A10. GeeDubya is in the last four out area; their loss by 14 at Duquesne last night is a real torpedo in the side. In the next four out, he has Rhode Island who I'm sure will be bye-bye given their one-point loss at St. Joe's last night.

Still way too early to call. And then there is the "what if someone outsid eour top two wins the A10 autobid?

Unlike Steve Wolf who called Dayton a lock on the Tuesday telecast, I'm not so sure. VCU should be a lock by now. In Joe Lunardi's Bracketology as of February 9, he has VCU a five and Dayton as a 10. That's it for the A10. GeeDubya is in the last four out area; their loss by 14 at Duquesne last night is a real torpedo in the side. In the next four out, he has Rhode Island who I'm sure will be bye-bye given their one-point loss at St. Joe's last night.

Still way too early to call. And then there is the "what if someone outsid eour top two wins the A10 autobid?

Yeah, I think 3 is the likeliest scenario. Brooklyn could be crazy. I think one of those bubble teams will play themselves into an at-large bid. Rhode Island or UMass could end up winning the league.

What was ours in Memphis? Help me out, as I was 7yo

We wound up being a # 9 seed after winning that tourney, so it wasn't really a "miracle" in Memphis as has often been portrayed. SLU went on to play RickMa's Utes in the 1st round. Had a chance to tie and send to overtime, but Dave Fergerson clanked a 3-point attempt at the buzzer. Now if this year's team wins the conference tourney, it truly would be a miracle!

SLU got a 9 seed in 2000.

St Bonaventure won the A10 tourney in 2012 and got a 14 seed (yes the A10 is a major conference).

Georgia won the SEC tourney in 08 and got a 14 seed.

Mississippi State won the SEC tourney in 09 and got a 13 seed.

So I expanded the question a little bit. St. Bona and Georgia both go Auto Bids and were seeded #14. Below is a list of bid-stealers, or teams from multi-bid conferences that got autobids and who, based on seeding, wouldn't have have gotten an at-large since the field expanded to 65 in 2001. This includes some teams from the WCC, Valley, Horizon, C-USA after the exodus, and the WAC. I don't know if you want to call those conferences major, but they had at-large teams these years and had a bid-stealer.

2013 - Ole Miss #12

2012 - Colorado #11

2012 - St. Bona #14

2011 - Richmond #12

2011 -Memphis #12

2010 - Houston #13

2009 - Miss Sate #13

2009 - Temple #11

2009 - Georgia #14

2009 - San Diego #13

2009 - Temple #12

2007 - New Mexico State #13

2006 - Xavier #14

2005 - Utah State #14

2005 - George Washington #12

2005 - New Mexico #12

2004 - N. Iowa #14

2003 - Co. State #14

2003 - San Diego #13

2003 - UW-Milwaukee #12

2002 - San Diego State #13

2002 - Creighton #12

2001 - Hawaii #12

2001 - Temple #11

2001 - Indiana State #13

2001 - BYU #12

Bonus: here are the lowest seeded at-large teams I saw:

2006 - Bradley and Air Force #13 at-large

2013 - La Salle/Boise State #13 play-in

2012 - BYU/Iona #14 play-in game, but that's also due to BYU's religious exceptions

The committee seems fine with seeding play-in teams below where they should fall on the S-line due to travel considerations of mid-week games, so I consider 2012 and 2013 separate from 2006.

University of Washington made it to the semis of the pack 10 I think Romar's first year and made the tourney as an at large bid RPI 60.

To go along with this:

(facts valid through 2012 season)

Highest rated team left out of tournament:

#21 Mo State - 2006

# 30 Hofstra - 2006

#30 Air Force - 2007

(from the "Big Six" #40 Cincinnati 2006)

Lowest rated teams to get at-larges

#67 USC -

# 64 Marquette - 2011

#63 NC State - 2005 and Stanford - 2007