Billiken Bash Observations

Interesting, considering that it was mentioned on here that even Roby initiated the offense a few times during the scrimmage.

Our offense doesn't really need a true point guard as long as we have at least two guys who can dribble and pass. We usually create gaps using multiple screens, good spacing and quick ball movement (a motion offense that requires opponents to defend for much of the shot-clock). Mitchell, Jett and McCall only ever played like true PGs at the end of the shot-clock when we chose to create off a high pick-and-roll after the motion failed to provide an open look. As long as we have a guy or two that can create his own shot in the pick-and-roll, we will be fine. Ash seems like he can do it, and McBroom is quick and tricky with the ball. Our motion offense will continue to generate open looks and lanes, we just need to find the right guy and finish.

Also, this is on the front page twitter feed, and provides some new information: http://www.insidestl.com/insideSTLcom/STLSports/SLUBillikens/tabid/328/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/15263/Crews-Discusses-Exhibition-Lineups-Redshirts-and-More.aspx

Some videos are also linked on the bottom of that page, four of which are on this link: https://widgets.burst.com/widget/index.html?hidestrip=true&bubbleId=YnViYmxlLXB1YmxpYzo0NTc0MzA1MTE3MTMwMjgwMDA6OTIyMzM3MjAzNjg1NDc3NTgwNzpwdWJsaWM6MWI0NzZjYjdlODUxZWIzNTA0ODg1ZTY1ZGQ5MjhjOGM6MzQ1NDMxMzQ0NDk4MTEzNzA5NQ%3D%3D&burstmediaid=901919791940600000&sourcepage=https%3A//www.burst.com/h/nk16a1e

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Too short a game: more athletic team especially after top five or six.

RA sitting like he was injured worries me most. Did he get operated on if not medical redshirt him don't waste another year.

Why would you redshirt a player who twisted his ankle 2 weeks ago in practice? He was cleared on Friday, had full practice on Saturday but chose not play the whole intersquad scrimmage. 3 mins.. I hear he is ready to go...lets see what happens tonight. Stop worrying!

Why does a walk-on need NCAA clearance? I thought the NCAA just wanted to make sure that a scholarship went to someone who is academically eligible for it. (Yeah, I know. Theoretically anyway.) A walk-on is already in school on his own dime.

Zink is correct on the Ash/Wright issue per Nova folks. Nova folks really liked Ash and at the time, Wright was on a hot seat of sorts. But he ran through the end of the Big East and made the Dance and then was successful last year in the NBE. So it goes.

While I agree Zink's point on multiple players other than PGs initiating the offense, I can't help but worry about uptempo teams, especiually teams like VCU. Past two years we ran three to five competent ball handlers at them -- to include Mitchell, Jett, McCall, Evans, Ellis to then McCall, Jett, McBroom, Barnett and Evans. That's where the real issue will be with traditional "point" guards and our curren tlack of them, if that is indeed a true statement.

Luckily, there are few of those teams really around/on the current schedule.

"With medical redshirts...it's 50/50." -Jim Crews

He reads the board.

We'll know for sure when he starts referencing Oregon cheerleaders and starts mentioning projections v. predictions and referring to players by their initials, like if he had said before last year, "I predict JB will shoot 2 airballs because he will be ogling the hot and sexy Oregon cheerleaders but I project he will go 2 for 5 and have the best hair."

Zink is correct on the Ash/Wright issue per Nova folks. Nova folks really liked Ash and at the time, Wright was on a hot seat of sorts. But he ran through the end of the Big East and made the Dance and then was successful last year in the NBE. So it goes.

While I agree Zink's point on multiple players other than PGs initiating the offense, I can't help but worry about uptempo teams, especiually teams like VCU. Past two years we ran three to five competent ball handlers at them -- to include Mitchell, Jett, McCall, Evans, Ellis to then McCall, Jett, McBroom, Barnett and Evans. That's where the real issue will be with traditional "point" guards and our curren tlack of them, if that is indeed a true statement.

You are right. We need good to great ballhandlers for beating the press; having a good outlet (Ellis/Evans/Loe/Lancona?/Jolly?) also helps a lot. I think McBroom can handle it and would guess the same for Ash, but whether Reynolds, Bartley, Roby, Crawford can is TBD. I would hope that we only recruit guards who are capable of withstanding on-ball pressure, but I guess that there is a learning curve of sorts.

McBroom does not see the floor well enough to be a PG. I hope that comment from Crews was an RM-like, calculating motivational tool meant to be heard by MR, DR, and MB. They were all listed as PGs coming out of high school (even though people on here want to put Roby at the 3)

McBroom does not see the floor well enough to be a PG. I hope that comment from Crews was an RM-like, calculating motivational tool meant to be heard by MR, DR, and MB. They were all listed as PGs coming out of high school (even though people on here want to put Roby at the 3)

Agreed. I hope it was just semantics. McBroom has never shown the ability to be a 'true' PG...he plays more like a 2 guard trapped in a PG's body. And it's not like we're getting a PG next year either (barring a transfer), so we better have somebody who can play the point (other than McBroom) on the roster right now.

I never really saw Roby listed as a PG. He played with a very high profile pure PG in HS who signed with Florida, so he didn't get much experience running the offense. From what I have seen of Roby on video and a couple of games on tv, he looks like a prototypical athletic 2/3. That's not to say he can't distribute the ball well, but I just don't see PG in his future. Among the three frosh guards, I wouldn't be surprised if MB eventually emerges as what most people think of as a true PG.

Roby was listed as a PG, but very rarely played PG for his high school or AAU team although I do believe he can be a very good ball handler for us.

And I'm sure that's just motivational coach-speak from Crews. Someone told me that Crews himself said that Reynolds and Bartley were already superior ball-handlers to McBroom this summer.

I'm guessing GG is so psyched right now, he probably thinks he could be point guard. I'm headed to Vito's for some pregame grub and suds about now. I'll be checkin' in on the moby, fellow diehards. LET'S GO BILLIES! ITS SHOWTIME AT THE FETZ!

HATE.

Villa is on FS1 now

Jolly with another three

He seemed to have an idea as to what he was supposed to be doing during each trip up and down the floor. That was fairly impressive for a freshman.

I think there will be lots of substituting and a real competition for minutes among the big men through year-end and likely through January. Coach will be giving all the young guys opportunities and he'll need to do a lot of experimenting to find chemistry. If I were a big guy, I'd focus on doing all the little things right: hustle on defense, move the ball, box out. There will be plenty of time for highlights later.

Rob averaged 10.3 PPG last year and pulled his own weight on a dominant defensive unit.

I guess it flew under some peoples radar, but Rob Loe's evolution on the defensive end of the floor from liability to asset was a major reason SLU was able to repeat as A10 champions. Jump to the 1:15 mark of this video

The younger Rob Loe doesn't make that play, much less get that call. As recently as the 2012-13 OOC, Loe just looked like he was playing defense in slow motion. I'm sure we all remember late night streaming the Washington game (with Detlef motherfuoking Schrempf on the call) - where Loe was metaphorically beaten to a bloody pulp by Aziz N'Diaye.

Over the last season and a half, Loe was vastly improved on the defensive side of the ball...last year Loe blocked 41 shots - which is the 10th best single season total (for the program) since '75-76, behind only Willie Reed (73), Kelvin Henderson (68, 42), Melvin Robinson (66, 51), Ian Vouyoukas (57, 55), and Abdur Rahiim Al Matiin (46, 44).

Loe may not have lived up to the Dirk Nowitzki wet dreams some may have had initially, but he developed into a complete player who had several cold blooded moments of brilliance. He was a major factor for the only 2 outright regular season conference titles the program has won in the last half century.

Also realize, if Loe had indeed been the 2nd coming of Dirk, he would not have stuck around 4 years.

I stand corrected. Didn't recall him averaging just over 10 a game.