Top 144

Taj79

DUQUESNE????? I have to admit my shock! But they did beat us and they only lost Soko (a big loss however) last year from their starting frontcourt. Hmmmmmmmm.

The listing also continues the assumption that ther are still SEVEN more teams in the A10 going to get listed. We all likely agree that there is VCU, Dayton, George Washington and Umass. There's four of the seven leaving three to go. I think Richmond gets in as will Rhode Island. And I am guessing us and I think we should be the next A10 team up on this board. That means the three bottom feeders are Mason, the Bonnies and Davidson.

Again ... can't wait --- this time for the "analysis."

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think preseason polls and preseason predictions are two different beasts but can be guided by principles mentioned in Burwell's column. I've never cared about the "authority" of a preseason anything, I just use those as discussion points by which to initiate a season. I think getting mentioned in them, as we have been over the last few years, is just another brick in the wall of notoriety. And because it's good notoriety and just another part of sustaining your relevance on the sporting scene, you kind of need it. In the long run, it really doesn't matter much in either sport now that the football brothers will have playoffs ala March Madness. Making the final AP poll is never the goal; making the Dance is. I could not tell you who the preseason #1 was in any college sport from last year. But I know Florida State, Uconn, Notre Dame, Union and Vandy all won national titles this year. Frankly I'd have to look up three or four of the title winners the year prior to that.

I know I take the usual heat over prediction/projection but I still stand by my terms. The poll/prediction tarheel posted is just another discussion point. Is it more true than the #144 one? Who knows, who cares? Someone could look at it and say this team is too high or that team is too low and you can't really decide until the season plays out. But it's a good kick starter for dicussion. Anybody want to weigh in on Mr. Sheldon-Edie's prediction? Saint Louis picked 12 out of 14 --- in case you don't want to open it. Anybody still believe Ohio State is #5 in the nation with a red-shirt freshman quarterbacking them? Notre dame as good without four key players?

I take umbrage with one thing Edie did, and that is that he is extremely light on justification. But I'll blame that on space availability. That is why I can't wait to see what Welser and folks write. I still think we'll be in there.

The author has quite an impressive background. ^_^ He has been a grad asst at VCU and a ticketing and marketing INTERN at Richmond (that means he worked in the ticket office). Somehow as he gathered his vast A-10 education in the two Confederate capital institutions he failed to learn the proper spelling of "too" instead of "to." (See the Duq. "analysis.") (At least we know he didn't attend the U of Mizzou School of Journalism where they spend weeks practicing the proper usage of to/too/two)

The author has quite an impressive background. ^_^ He has been a grad asst at VCU and a ticketing and marketing INTERN at Richmond (that means he worked in the ticket office). Somehow as he gathered his vast A-10 education in the two Confederate capital institutions he failed to learn the proper spelling of "too" instead of "to." (See the Duq. "analysis.") (At least we know he didn't attend the U of Mizzou School of Journalism where they spend weeks practicing the proper usage of to/too/two)

At SPUMAC, they also learn how to write police blotters.

I always get a good laugh reading his stuff (articles and posts). He's truly a prick

To offer some perspective, DuQuesne at #81 is his 8th ranked A-10 team. K-State just was placed at #79 and is the Big 12's #8 team.

I find this interesting, because the old line about the A-10, even in years where we had good teams at the top, was that the bottom end of our league was no good. Now, it seems the perception and maybe the reality has changed.

Davidson just came in at #78 and seventh in the A10. That means Welser has six more A10 teams to go ..... you got to figure VCU, Dayton, Umass, and George Washington one thru four and all locks. Who do we replace? Richmond or Rhode Island? I am afraid the writing on the early wall might have taken the lead again.

From everything we've read about the top 6, we ain't in the mix. Looks to me like we're on the outside looking in at the top 144. I can't see how the author can build a stronger case for us than Richmond and URI. More telling there's no way Fordham makes the list over UR and URI. Oh well, we didn't need an outsider telling us who's out and who's in. Hopefully, the team follows this stuff and can use it as a motivational tool.

if so, then this board has now made 119 breathless posts in response to a prognosticator who is, in fact, a complete idiot.

I'm now thinking about starting my own sports "guru" website to get a bunch of bored middle aged men to start following on a daily (or hourly) basis, for my wise and nuanced proclamations. Is anyone interested in subscribing?? only $49.95 / month .... but FULL ACCESS to all info, 24/7!!!

if so, then this board has now made 119 breathless posts in response to a prognosticator who is, in fact, a complete idiot.

Doc, don't undershoot. This is actually the second thread about the top 144 and there are another 56 posts in this earlier thread.

http://www.billikens.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=25776

Getting into the top 144 pre-season poll from this author is a really big deal so fingers crossed :rolleyes:

Regardless of Kshoe and Doc B's sarcasm this poll is kind of interesting to read. Especially about the A10 teams. Granted the guy is probably clueless as to the quality of the who's in guys as he's never seen them play and probably citing coach's touting of a transfer or new recruit. But is it relevant to SLU or what all of us already know about this year's Bills? Only from the perspective of our A10 brethren and what we'll be going up against. It's pretty clear we're not making the cut, but does that mean this season is totally a loss? Not in the least, because it promises to be an interesting season for us. Worst case would be none of our unknowns plain can't cut it at the D1 level and we totally suck. I don't think any of us are buying the worst case. Most likely case is we'll struggle at first figuring out where all the new pieces fit. This is the one I'm buying and thinking we'll end up a game or two over .500. Best case is we're all pleasantly surprised and have some breakout players, so by the end of the season we are playing at a high level. Maybe not an NCAA year, but we end up in the NIT. Making the preseason top 144 is not that big a deal, although it would have been interesting to see this guys comments about our who's in players. But this list isn't going to mean squat come November and that's why they play the games.

Regardless of Kshoe and Doc B's sarcasm this poll is kind of interesting to read. Especially about the A10 teams. Granted the guy is probably clueless as to the quality of the who's in guys as he's never seen them play and probably citing coach's touting of a transfer or new recruit. But is it relevant to SLU or what all of us already know about this year's Bills? Only from the perspective of our A10 brethren and what we'll be going up against. It's pretty clear we're not making the cut, but does that mean this season is totally a loss? Not in the least, because it promises to be an interesting season for us. Worst case would be none of our unknowns plain can't cut it at the D1 level and we totally suck. I don't think any of us are buying the worst case. Most likely case is we'll struggle at first figuring out where all the new pieces fit. This is the one I'm buying and thinking we'll end up a game or two over .500. Best case is we're all pleasantly surprised and have some breakout players, so by the end of the season we are playing at a high level. Maybe not an NCAA year, but we end up in the NIT. Making the preseason top 144 is not that big a deal, although it would have been interesting to see this guys comments about our who's in players. But this list isn't going to mean squat come November and that's why they play the games.

No. It is pretty clear that we will make the cut. Now, how important it is to make this guy's cut .., is certainly debatable. Why do you say we won't make the cut when it has been pointed out by several posters? Instead, this guy is probably ranking teams similar to their prior year performances. We have been good for 3 years in a row, and to the lazy reporter, that means we will be good (and make the cut) now a fourth year in the row. To me, that's why we will make the cut.

No. It is pretty clear that we will make the cut. Now, how important it is to make this guy's cut .., is certainly debatable. Why do you say we won't make the cut when it has been pointed out by several posters? Instead, this guy is probably ranking teams similar to their prior year performances. We have been good for 3 years in a row, and to the lazy reporter, that means we will be good (and make the cut) now a fourth year in the row. To me, that's why we will make the cut.

Not happening, Clock. But no big deal, since this has nada to do with how our season will play out. Look at what's left in the A10 and who has a shot. As Taj Majal 79 said, VCU, UD, GW, and UMass are locks. Then you likely have Richmond and URI. We're out but means nothing.

I never really thought we were a good candidate for this list this year. Now that being said, I would not be all that taken aback if we did make it. I agree that making the list is worth taking that and $2 to buy a grande coffee at Starbucks. Having not seen any of the new players or the progress the freshmen made from last year it is hard to see how we make the NCAA or NIT. It will take a yeoman coaching job by JC to pull that off this year. The key here is not this year but the year after - we can miss the cuts this year and chalk it up to rebuilding but not two years in a row. Not to bring up an old topic but the jury is still out in my opinion on JC's recruiting ability - I always said I would wait until the entire recruiting session is over and wait and see the players before I claim my concerns as being valid so I am still going to hold before passing judgement until I see the kids on the court. I don't expect them to be world beaters their first year but I do expect them to show that they have skill that can be developed. While those of us who saw DE play his first year knew he would be a winner not because he had such a stellar freshman year but because he showed skills that you knew could be grown.