Next year's starting five.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, THINK A LITTLE BIT. I used Kwamain as a comparison because you were saying AM's height was a disadvantage (which it is). I simply used KM as a "it can be done" situation. Are you that dense?

And my lord, you're acting like McBroom is the second coming of freaking Dwayne Polk. Give him some credit. Whatever you think of the guy off the court, he can score, and should improve coming into this year.

Dwayne Polk for President.

Here is one. He is one of the few guys that steps up at the end of games and hits his FTs. During the year, SLU would do a good job of getting him the ball, he would draw the foul, and knock down both FTs. For some reason, we got away from that (mostly because we were playing from behind and Jett would have the ball), and our FT shooting was horrific.

I think he has a very good handle and the decision-making and defense will improve from last year to next year to the next year just like McCall and Fisher and Newbury. I think he will be a solid PG and play the most minutes. If we are up, he will have the ball in his hands. I am not saying he will be all-conference, but I think he will be a good PG.

As for who the scorers will be, I do not know. Something tells me we will struggle in that department, but that is nothing new.

Damn good point. That was one of our biggest plagues was FT shooting and if we can fix that we're golden. If we can't... well AM can still shoot well. That's why he needs to be on the floor, FT's win games.

Dwayne Polk for President.

Damn good point. That was one of our biggest plagues was FT shooting and if we can fix that we're golden. If we can't... well AM can still shoot well. That's why he needs to be on the floor, FT's win games.

If the team doesn't respect him as a leader I don't care if he can shoot free throws or not

Jake Barnett freshman year FT %: 80.2%

Jake Barnett senior year FT %: 58.3%

I highly doubt McBroom will go down that same path, but I also think it could be premature to say that he belongs on the floor because he can shoot free throws.

For sure. Definitely agree here.

You guys may be right. However, I've watched maybe 4 or 5 Whitney Young games on TV this year, and I don't really see him as a playmaker/facilitator. Most of his points were off the ball. When he did have the ball in his hands, he was calm and in control. It seemed they used him more as a set-up guy, settle the team down, get in formation, then start the offense. He'd get the ball at the top of the key and just wait until everybody else did what they needed to do. He definitely had poise and it was obvious he was a floor leader. Those are definitely great characteristics to have out on the court, I'm just not sure those are necessarily PG characteristics. Of course, those were high school games....and he had two premier players on his team in Okafor and Young, so maybe he just played his role, and is capable of more playmaking...

Maybe the '14-'15 Billikens will need someone like that at the top of the key, considering all the questions we all have about the point guard position (AM).

Neither Mike nor Jordair came in as pure point guards or graduated as pure point guards. Reynolds and Roby certainly don't seem like pure point guards and I don't really think Austin is either. Bartley may be, but he's also the least physically developed of all our recruits coming in (i.e. very, very thin).

That doesn't concern me too much though. We don't run a system that relies on a point guard who dominates the ball. We need our guards to handle pressure, take care of the ball, and initiate the offense. We don't necesarily need a Chris Paul/John Stockton-esque prototypical point.

If Reynolds can handle the ball without turning it over and can guard the other team's 1, I have no problem with him being our "point guard." Same goes for McBroom.

It seems like based on what 05 & someone else are saying, they heard things that maybe Austin didn't show many leadership qualities last year. I don't want to read more into it without knowing the facts. A lot of stuff goes on in a college locker room that we as fans aren't privy too. Hopefully Austin can mature and whatever concerns they have can be somewhat addressed by next season.

Let's go Bills! Hope springs eternal!

Neither Mike nor Jordair came in as pure point guards or graduated as pure point guards. Reynolds and Roby certainly don't seem like pure point guards and I don't really think Austin is either. Bartley may be, but he's also the least physically developed of all our recruits coming in (i.e. very, very thin).

That doesn't concern me too much though. We don't run a system that relies on a point guard who dominates the ball. We need our guards to handle pressure, take care of the ball, and initiate the offense. We don't necesarily need a Chris Paul/John Stockton-esque prototypical point.

If Reynolds can handle the ball without turning it over and can guard the other team's 1, I have no problem with him being our "point guard." Same goes for McBroom.

It seems like based on what 05 & someone else are saying, they heard things that maybe Austin didn't show many leadership qualities last year. I don't want to read more into it without knowing the facts. A lot of stuff goes on in a college locker room that we as fans aren't privy too. Hopefully Austin can mature and whatever concerns they have can be somewhat addressed by next season.

Well put. In years past, our offense generated shots, not the playmaking ability of our PG. That was not as true last year since Jett was so ball dominant. McCall, McBroom, Mitchell and non Sr-Jett all initiated the offense, but usually did not create for others with their penetration. And it worked out fine! Good screens and spacing are the keys to our offense more so than having a true PG who creates the offense on their own (eg Chaz Williams).

Jake Barnett freshman year FT %: 80.2%

Jake Barnett senior year FT %: 58.3%

I highly doubt McBroom will go down that same path, but I also think it could be premature to say that he belongs on the floor because he can shoot free throws.

Well from all he's shown us we have every right to believe he'll keep up that fantastic shooting percentage. It could change, but we have no reason to expect anything but consistency at this point.

The claim is that AM slept with DE's girlfriend. Don't know their sources and don't know that I believe it. We may never know but until we do we must burn him at the stake, right? (WRONG) INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY FOR CHRIST'S SAKE.

Well from all he's shown us we have every right to believe he'll keep up that fantastic shooting percentage. It could change, but we have no reason to expect anything but consistency at this point.

The claim is that AM slept with DE's girlfriend. Don't know their sources and don't know that I believe it. We may never know but until we do we must burn him at the stake, right? (WRONG) INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY FOR CHRIST'S SAKE.

You'd be extremely wrong if you think that's the only claim

Heard from a source that a senior walked out of practice during the week before the A10 tournament.. Had a hard time guessing who it was at the time, but now it seems to all be coming together. We sound like an amateur version of the Indiana Pacers, collapse and all.

This is starting to sound like the National Enquirer. Let's stay away from the players' personal lives.

this is a message board. this is where you go to discuss these things. please continue

Why is that a bad sign for the team? Give us some substance

Because it means no one has stepped up at the point guard spot. I like Reynolds a lot, but from the games I have watched I think he is better suited for the 2. I think he can play the one, but think we can get the most out of him at the 2

Because it means no one has stepped up at the point guard spot. I like Reynolds a lot, but from the games I have watched I think he is better suited for the 2. I think he can play the one, but think we can get the most out of him at the 2

I agree that he might be better suited for the 2. But I just feel like he is going to be good enough to be on the floor from the start and that could mean backing up McBroom at the point. I'm just kind of feeling Crawford, Yacoubou, Yarbrough, and Roby all splitting time at the 2 and 3.

bummer we have a ton of 2 guards and no real PG.

Heard from a source that a senior walked out of practice during the week before the A10 tournament.. Had a hard time guessing who it was at the time, but now it seems to all be coming together. We sound like an amateur version of the Indiana Pacers, collapse and all.

Ahhh

bummer we have a ton of 2 guards and no real PG.

Ahhh

Bartley is a true PG. I know he needs to put on weight but as long as he can create space and distribute the ball, I think he finds minutes. Now defense is another story that applies to all incoming freshman.