Next year's starting five.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to see why people think McBroom CAN lead the team next year. Don't give me his scoring stats. I'm not asking if he can lead the team in scoring. That's not the discussion. I'm asking why people think he can be the point guard and leader of this team next season?

"He's 5'9 and fast" isn't a reason.

"We need him" isn't a reason.

I'm curious to see what people have seen from him that they think he's a leader and PG of a team that will really need to take care of the ball.

05 and I have reasons for what we believe. If you guys tried a little instead of just assuming McBroom is the next coming of Jesus, you could probably find out too. It's not like it's some secret information. It just doesn't need to be shared on this board either.

Starting lineup?

It is impossible to speculate, there will be five new starters, every single job is up for grabs.

Sure, a few who are currently on our roster are more likely to start the first 5-8 games, but what matters is who emerges and starts in mid / late January. The starting lineup will change by then as players compete.

So many are absolute unknown quantities until they get out there.

Starting lineup?

It is impossible to speculate, there will be five new starters, every single job is up for grabs.

Sure, a few who are currently on our roster are more likely to start the first 5-8 games, but what matters is who emerges and starts in mid / late January. The starting lineup will change by then as players compete.

Pretty much you got it.

I am more concerned with who's on the floor at the end of games.

A wise man once said "starting is for high school".

Starting lineup?

As I read a lot of these posts I was thinking the exact same thing as you posted here. Many of our new players will start to arrive in the next month or so. Their first meetings will be with the staff of coaches and the strength and conditioning folks. They will be given a complete schedule of things to do and to work on over the summer. They and the other holdovers will all be in the same boat--come the start of practice next fall the five starting and four or five other rotation spots will be up for grabs. If you picked five holdovers as starters it would probably be Ash, Manning, Tanner, McBroom and Grandy with Crawford and Reggie in the mix. But the great thing is that the other team of newcomers to play them in practice will be Miles R and Roby with Milik, Bartley and Jolly/Gillmann. Even though Gillmann is probably a year or so away, the rest of these guys could all compete for minutes, either starting or in the normal rotation. I am not sure I can remember a team with this much depth in terms of competition for minutes at the start of the season.

As I read a lot of these posts I was thinking the exact same thing as you posted here. Many of our new players will start to arrive in the next month or so. Their first meetings will be with the staff of coaches and the strength and conditioning folks. They will be given a complete schedule of things to do and to work on over the summer. They and the other holdovers will all be in the same boat--come the start of practice next fall the five starting and four or five other rotation spots will be up for grabs. If you picked five holdovers as starters it would probably be Ash, Manning, Tanner, McBroom and Grandy with Crawford and Reggie in the mix. But the great thing is that the other team of newcomers to play them in practice will be Miles R and Roby with Milik, Bartley and Jolly/Gillmann. Even though Gillmann is probably a year or so away, the rest of these guys could all compete for minutes, either starting or in the normal rotation. I am not sure I can remember a team with this much depth in terms of competition for minutes at the start of the season.

Needless to say, the team is headed in the right direction with a lot of talented players. I am getting excited thinking about it!

Some kids, sure.

I believe the guy who said that knew kids pretty well too.

Some kids, sure.

I believe the guy who said that knew kids pretty well too.

Not some, most. Most D1 prospects were the best player on their high school team and have been the best most of their life and are expecting the same in college. This is the age of transfers, kids want instant gratification.

Not some, most. Most D1 prospects were the best player on their high school team and have been the best most of their life and are expecting the same in college. This is the age of transfers, kids want instant gratification.

Tell them to look to Cody Ellis.

I can't remember a year where I had so little idea of who would be playing next year. Which freshman this year really showed us enough to believe there is no way an incoming frosh could take his minutes? Have JM, GG, or really even AM showed us so much they can't get passed up by a freshman? I'd say if I had to bet on one starter it would be JM, but I wouldn't bet a lot. Count me in the not overly impressed with AM camp also. He isn't a pg, he very little signs of being anything but an undersized 2. And please don't compare him to KM despite height. KM was an strength and conditioning all-american who could get to and finish at the rim or shoot the 3 at a decent rate.

I can't remember a year where I had so little idea of who would be playing next year. Which freshman this year really showed us enough to believe there is no way an incoming frosh could take his minutes? Have JM, GG, or really even AM showed us so much they can't get passed up by a freshman? I'd say if I had to bet on one starter it would be JM, but I wouldn't bet a lot. Count me in the not overly impressed with AM camp also. He isn't a pg, he very little signs of being anything but an undersized 2. And please don't compare him to KM despite height. KM was an strength and conditioning all-american who could get to and finish at the rim or shoot the 3 at a decent rate.

+1000

KM he is not. KM was a machine in college and is a freaking beast as a pro. I do not see how anyone can consider AM a PG when he is obviously a undersized 2. I will go further and say that if he is our leading scorer as some say he could be we will be in serious trouble. Now AM could make some huge strides this off season and come out a Peyton Siva/Shane Larkin/Phil Pressey type guard who won't be denied but the guy that ended the season did not give me any confidence to peg him a starter or a dependable scorer. I would love to be proven wrong. We shall see..

The Cody that came in during the middle of the season and started as a freshman?

That Cody accepted and embraced the 6th man role after being a starter. I hope we recruit a whole host of "team first" guys like CE going forward. We'll be better for it.

Good post, Skip. We don't have a clue at this point and neither does the staff. I'd add AY to JM as lock starters. But I base this solely on JCs comments about AY. JM because he's the only experience we have at the 5.

+1000

KM he is not. KM was a machine in college and is a freaking beast as a pro. I do not see how anyone can consider AM a PG when he is obviously a undersized 2. I will go further and say that if he is our leading scorer as some say he could be we will be in serious trouble. Now AM could make some huge strides this off season and come out a Peyton Siva/Shane Larkin/Phil Pressey type guard who won't be denied but the guy that ended the season did not give me any confidence to peg him a starter or a dependable scorer. I would love to be proven wrong. We shall see..

Hey, THINK A LITTLE BIT. I used Kwamain as a comparison because you were saying AM's height was a disadvantage (which it is). I simply used KM as a "it can be done" situation. Are you that dense?

And my lord, you're acting like McBroom is the second coming of freaking Dwayne Polk. Give him some credit. Whatever you think of the guy off the court, he can score, and should improve coming into this year.

Hey, THINK A LITTLE BIT. I used Kwamain as a comparison because you were saying AM's height was a disadvantage (which it is). I simply used KM as a "it can be done" situation. Are you that dense?

And my lord, you're acting like McBroom is the second coming of freaking Dwayne Polk. Give him some credit. Whatever you think of the guy off the court, he can score, and should improve coming into this year.

Littlebill...this is a grown up discussion. If you have such a low impression of AM then say so. All your smokes and mirrors barely make any sense. Either you are saying something or you are not. I stick to my opinion of AM and I am clear.

As for being dense...I cannot read into your Jedi mind like you can. AM does has a height disadvantage and he needs to do more to make that a advantage like others before him have done. If he can do that, he becomes a more potent player in my book. Plus would love to see the fight in him as well. Clear enough? What credit are you giving him?

Littlebill...this is a grown up discussion. If you have such a low impression of AM then say so. All your smokes and mirrors barely make any sense. Either you are saying something or you are not. I stick to my opinion of AM and I am clear.

As for being dense...I cannot read into your Jedi mind like you can. AM does has a height disadvantage and he needs to do more to make that a advantage like others before him have done. If he can do that, he becomes a more potent player in my book. Plus would love to see the fight in him as well. Clear enough? What credit are you giving him?

"Grown up"... Don't confuse age with knowledge. I'm not sure where you're getting this "smoke and mirrors" thing. I don't think you're understanding that I'm not comparing the two directly. Just saying that height, or lack thereof, isn't something that decides whether a player is successful or not. When you're wrong, always pull the age card. You'll always be correct if you're older, right? You shouldn't always argue with your fellow MBMs. It will get you a lot farther.

"Grown up"... Don't confuse age with knowledge. I'm not sure where you're getting this "smoke and mirrors" thing. I don't think you're understanding that I'm not comparing the two directly. Just saying that height, or lack thereof, isn't something that decides whether a player is successful or not. When you're wrong, always pull the age card. You'll always be correct if you're older, right? You shouldn't always argue with your fellow MBMs. It will get you a lot farther.

You might be arguing but I am not. Gave my opinion, you didn't like it, next I am dense. So my point is if the conversation is too grown up for you then take a hike. If you are "aged" or a "youngin" who gives a rip if you do not know your arse from your elbow! Read into it whatever you want.