Jayson Tatum at the VCU game!

WeBsTa03

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, I think the idea that a top prospect will bring in all these other top kids is over blown. Everyone knows he will be a one and done so I doubt any other kids in his class will pick SLU just so they can play one year out of four with him.

Also, we only have two scholarships available for his class (of course that can change based on transfers, etc.)

How do you know he will be one and done? I have heard a lot of people say that, but a lot of people say that because they heard other people say it, not because they have seen him play and have any talent for assessing talent. I am just curious why so many people consider the one and done thing as a given for a high school sophomore.

BTW - this is an honest question, not a calling anyone out kind of post, I just really want to know how people are coming to this conclusion.

How do you know he will be one and done? I have heard a lot of people say that, but a lot of people say that because they heard other people say it, not because they have seen him play and have any talent for assessing talent. I am just curious why so many people consider the one and done thing as a given for a high school sophomore.

BTW - this is an honest question, not a calling anyone out kind of post, I just really want to know how people are coming to this conclusion.

Because he is incredibly good.

Of course its not a 100% guarantee that he is one and done but its highly likely.

From what I have been told by trusted basketball people, he is definitely a one and done. He would likely be a lottery pick if he could go straight to the NBA. He is at the Beal/Hughes skill level.

That is amazing. Part of the reason I ask is that I have taken/picked up my daughter and her friends to/from several Chaminade games. Talking to some of the other dads about it, Tatum's name often comes up and they say he's one and done, then I ask how many times they have seen him play and almost all of them say, "never", so obviously they are getting their info from other people too.

I've watched Tatum 4 times this year. He certainly uses his physical attributes to his advantage but Beal at the same age was better than him. He may have a better upside he has a ways to go to perform like Beal.

It is worth pointing out that by the time he is in college the days of one-and-done may be over. The NBA is thinking about changing the rule and making kids go to college multiple years. At least that is what has been reported recently

I'm not sure this is good for college hoops. It would set up for domination of the game by the royalty programs, ie Duke, UK, KU, UNC, UL etc. Also, I would expect the NBA to be sued over it. If they're good enough, let 'em play. If not, there's the NBDL. Can anyone recall if Claret, the RB from Ohio St, won his suit against the NFL?

I'm not sure this is good for college hoops. It would set up for domination of the game by the royalty programs, ie Duke, UK, KU, UNC, UL etc. Also, I would expect the NBA to be sued over it. If they're good enough, let 'em play. If not, there's the NBDL. Can anyone recall if Claret, the RB from Ohio St, won his suit against the NFL?

Claret lost his suit against the NFL and the rule there remains they have to be 3 years out of high school (or juniors to most players).

Given that the NBA has a rule of 1 year the precedent has been set to change it to two years or even 3 if they wanted it. Don't know if they have the willpower to make it happen.

While basketball royalty would clearly benefit from the rule going to 2 or 3 years, and smaller programs would be hurt, I think a reasonable argument could be made that it would benefit college basketball overall. The current view of most casual fans is that basketball is watered down and somewhat boring and they'll only pay attention during March. Having a few truly dominant teams that everyone knows the players and builds a national following could be just what the sport needs.

The rule would actually spread out the talent a little more. Kentucky wouldn't be able to turn over their roster every year and offer imediate starting spots to 5 players every year. Imediate starting spots would be harder to come by at all the basketball royalty schools.

I would expect the NBA to be sued over it.

I cannot think of any legal basis for suing. Federal laws prevent discrimination against those over 40, but I am unaware of any laws that would outlaw a reasonable minimum age requirement for a private league. In fact, there is a minimum age to be a Senator or President.

I've watched Tatum 4 times this year. He certainly uses his physical attributes to his advantage but Beal at the same age was better than him. He may have a better upside he has a ways to go to perform like Beal.

I have watched Tatum a number of times this year and a few times last year. He is a really impressive talent. I have to remind myself that he is just a sophomore. His skill set for someone of his height and length is impressive. As far as weaknesses, he lacks the strength to really dominate in the paint and take advantage of his height advantage and I would not call him an elite athlete at this point. Those two weaknesses can be improved as he continues to grow and develop and spends some time in the weight room. So the fact that he has such a well rounded skill set at his height as just a sophomore is what is so special. It is more impressive for me to see a kid dominate at his age and length because of his skills over purely based on being the biggest kid on the court which is often the case for these top rated kids. You just don't see kids with that kind of size and skills. I have actually caught a couple of his very few down games and his struggles were due to him relying too much on high difficulty deep perimeter shots (Durantesque fade away jumpers and such) and not attacking enough taking advantage of his length advantage. It is going to be fun to watch him develop the next couple of years.

Beal was an elite scoring guard, the most impressive scorer I have seen at the high school level because he could score from all levels. Tatum is not that kind of shooter. I watched Beal so much as a senior that I kind of forget what he was like as a sophomore. When he was a senior it was definitely watching a NBA player on a high school basketball court, had added the strength and athleticism to go along with the remarkable scoring ability. Beal was probably 6'3 in high school while Tatum is 6'7 or 6'8 as a sophomore with the possibility of adding a few inches, so that would make me say he has the higher upside. The kid plays on the perimeter and at times plays almost as the point and that same kid may grow to 6'10, that is crazy.

Chaminade keeps putting out the talent. Paul Stastny playing for his country in Sochi, David Lee and Brad Beal starring in the NBA, Stastny, Ben Bishop and Chris Butler in the NHL, and Brad Davis in the MLS. And don't forget Pistol killing it on billikens.com.

One other factor in the one-and-done talk: Tatum is still growing. When he was a 6-6 freshman, doctors were saying they could see him ending up 6-10 or 6-11. I think scouts see him and think "Kevin Durant v2.0" - I'm not saying he'll be as good as one of the top couple players in the NBA right now, but it's a reasonable scouting comparison.

I can tell you this: it is not a NO. not yet anyway. I think it's a long shot but there's some strong voices urging him to keep thinking about SLU.

I also think some people forget he's still a sophomore. He is thin and needs to push some weights around; but what kind of upside are we talking about? pretty high. Lottery pick high? too early to tell. but maybe, and certainly one and done upside. If the league keeps allowing that.

Is he a gym rat? how's his head screwed on?? does he love the game, and is he a good teammate? and what kind of student?? all these are terrific questions nobody seems to be interested in. But Coach Crews is interested, believe me--and so am I.

So can I ask a simple question: does SLU have a standing offer? and which other teams have offered??

One other factor in the one-and-done talk: Tatum is still growing. When he was a 6-6 freshman, doctors were saying they could see him ending up 6-10 or 6-11. I think scouts see him and think "Kevin Durant v2.0" - I'm not saying he'll be as good as one of the top couple players in the NBA right now, but it's a reasonable scouting comparison.

He does not have that kind of shooting ability from what I have seen (again a sophomore), but that is a good comparison for his skill set and potential size in my opinion. I have seen a lot of comparisons to guys like Michael Carter-Williams and Shaun Livingston who he shares similar length and frame and skill set to as a sophomore in high school. I am not sure if I see Tatum being a true point though.

The rule would actually spread out the talent a little more. Kentucky wouldn't be able to turn over their roster every year and offer imediate starting spots to 5 players every year. Imediate starting spots would be harder to come by at all the basketball royalty schools.

I agree, but Imagine KY with the same starting 5 every year. How scary would that be? They didn't even make the dance last year because they were playing a very very young team that wasn't ready for prime-time. I guess the sword cuts both ways.