Jayson Tatum at the VCU game!

WeBsTa03

Is he a gym rat? how's his head screwed on?? does he love the game, and is he a good teammate? and what kind of student?? all these are terrific questions nobody seems to be interested in. But Coach Crews is interested, believe me--and so am I.

So can I ask a simple question: does SLU have a standing offer? and which other teams have offered??

From what I have heard the kid is a true gym rat focused on making a career out of basketball. He trains with Drew Hanlen as well as W.I.T.T.S. in the past and his skills would show that he has spent a lot of time working on his game. This summer I read that he worked with Brad Beal and I am not sure you could pick a better person for him to learn from. I have no idea what kind of student he is, but I can try to find that out. The fact that he goes to Chaminade and works closely with guys like Drew and Brad should ensure he is a decent guy willing to work. Brad Beal is about as good a kid as you can find, excelling on the court, in the classroom, and socially in high school; his parents did a tremendous job raising a well rounded young man.

Jayson recently picked up an offer from Duke which was the last big time program to hold out on offering. His offers include Duke, Florida, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan State, Mizzou, North Carolina, Ohio State, and SLU and likely every other program in the country. I think he has taken unofficial visits to Illinois (also sat behind their bench for the Braggin' Rights game last year) , Kentucky (Big Blue Madness), Michigan State (Michigan game), Mizzou (Texas A&M football game and Kentucky game), and SLU (numerous games) at this point.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard an interview with the NBA Commissioner and he stated he'd prefer that players not be allowed into the NBA until they were at least 20. He indicated that it was tabled in the last labor negotiation, but he expected it to resurface after this season.

Not sure why labor would oppose this all of their current members would be beneficiaries of a year or two reprieve of less expensive replacements......

Agree with Davidnark, precedence is set to have minimum age restrictions and reasoning is sound. Clinically adulthood, from a psychological perspective, is thought to begin around 24. It will never get their legally but financially it has been therefor years, just look at you Auto Insurance companies have, they have known this for years as demonstrated by the rates they set for car insurance for those under 25. I know risk aversion and being an adult is not equivalent but it is very interesting.....

The rule would actually spread out the talent a little more. Kentucky wouldn't be able to turn over their roster every year and offer imediate starting spots to 5 players every year. Imediate starting spots would be harder to come by at all the basketball royalty schools.

This is so true. Also, the NBA would not be so watered down. The players today are playing against a number of players who should be sophomores, juniors, and seniors in college. That could not have happened in the days of Jerry West, Elgin Baylor, Oscar, Alcindor, Bill Russell, Bob Pettit? and the greats from the past.

I thought I heard that she went to SLU.

Yes, understand she has law degree from SLU School of Law and may have also served as vice-president of Black Law Students Assn on the law school's Student Organizations Executive Board. Not sure about undergrad. I don't know her or the family. But simple Google search returned many stories of her bypassing various volleyball scholarships out of high school to stay home and take care of Jayson who as little guy watched Justin at SLU. Mom went back to school, got law degree later. Jayson seemingly never misses opportunity to recognize the important role she plays in his life. Apparently a remarkable lady. Raised a good young man.

Regardless of where he ends up, nice SLU-connected story.