AP Poll - 2.10.14

moytoy12

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

At least as of now, I don't see how Kansas losing tonight will help us jump them. Assuming they win their second game this week, they will essentially have done the same thing that Michigan St did last week (one win, one loss on the road to a team that will be ranked next week).

They're the easier of the two main competitors to catch to get the St. Louis spots because I don't see WSU losing a Valley game.

Not incredibly likely, but why not think big?

At least as of now, I don't see how Kansas losing tonight will help us jump them. Assuming they win their second game this week, they will essentially have done the same thing that Michigan St did last week (one win, one loss on the road to a team that will be ranked next week).

Agreed, but I think jettflight hit it. If ku loses a few more and we finish strong maybe we can pass them in NCAA seeding and play in STL rather than them.

Doesn't seeding follow RPI more so than polls?

RPI projection (i know this is hardly worth anything) predicts Kansas loses at OK State on March 1st. - 1 loss

Kansas could also drop their last regular game of the year against WVU at WVU. I think this is more than possible given the way WVU played tonight (if they can stay hot) - 2 Loss

Kansas has Texas and Oklahoma at home, RPI 23 and 21 respectively (ESPN RPI) They could drop either of these games, although not likely at Kansas

I also don't see Kansas winning the Big 12 Tournament, as whoever is on a roll going in will likely win - 3 Loss

Kansas could lose as many as 5 games, down the stretch, but likely 1-2. (Wiz can I get a projection?)

If we win out and they lose 2 we could surpass them in RPI as Kansas' RPI will drop after their loss tonight, but their SOS will also drop over the next few weeks, as they play TCU (RPI 199) and Texas Tech twice (RPI 125) over their next seven games.

There's a lot of "what-if's" but it's possible, i think....

RPI projection (i know this is hardly worth anything) predicts Kansas loses at OK State on March 1st. - 1 loss

Kansas could also drop their last regular game of the year against WVU at WVU. I think this is more than possible given the way WVU played tonight (if they can stay hot) - 2 Loss

Kansas has Texas and Oklahoma at home, RPI 23 and 21 respectively (ESPN RPI) They could drop either of these games, although not likely at Kansas

I also don't see Kansas winning the Big 12 Tournament, as whoever is on a roll going in will likely win - 3 Loss

Kansas could lose as many as 5 games, down the stretch, but likely 1-2. (Wiz can I get a projection?)

If we win out and they lose 2 we could surpass them in RPI as Kansas' RPI will drop after their loss tonight, but their SOS will also drop over the next few weeks, as they play TCU (RPI 199) and Texas Tech twice (RPI 125) over their next seven games.

There's a lot of "what-if's" but it's possible, i think....

KU @WVU....KU wins

Tex @ KU......KU wins

OK @ KU.......KU wins

KU @ OkSt.....even

Big 12 tourney...KU wins

I don't see 5 losses...even if KU loses a game or 2 ...it would be difficult for SLU to jump them.

I don't see 5 losses...even if KU loses a game or 2 ...it would be difficult for SLU to jump them.

-I agree, I believe KU would get extreme deference from the committee, just my thought

-if they want to find a reason we could play in STL, too, if we get back to back #4 seeds I would hope for some love, but would not bank on it

I think the essence of most of this discussion is to figure out how high the Bills could climb in the polls. I am going to try something very "iffy"...to project (not compare) my results onto a subjective voting pattern (AP poll)

To just project out the next 6-8 games (what most teams have left for the rest of the season) over 25 teams on my own system would be tough but then to try and figure out where the Bills would be by plopping it down on the fickle and sometimes bias voters of the AP seems impossible.

But what the heck..........

This assumes the Bills win out...by 10 or more...each of the remaining 7 games...and that the teams in front of us... do what they are supposed to do with a couple of upsets along the way (Duke over Syr would not be an upset).

We could move up to 6th.

If a team like Ariz or Duke would go into a tailspin we could move higher.

The point of this exercise is not to quote me and say... The Wiz thinks we will finish 6th...but to point out ...even using an imperfect and subjective system ...the difficulty of moving up from this point forward.

If we could reach 10th and stay there, I would be fine with that...a little extra publicity....ESPN, when they run their bottomline standings, always show the top 10..

Bottomline....we need to win the next game....that should be our mantra for the rest of the season.

I just looked at RPI Forecast re: Kansas.They have played the number 1 schedule in the country and even at their current 18-6 record have the #1 RPI. Even if they lose 4 more regular season games (less than 4% chance of this), they will have an RPI of 6 or 7.

Even if we win out the regular season (another 4% probability event) we will have an RPI of 6-7.

Multiply one 4% event by another 4% event and you get: NOT HAPPENING. As such, our chances of playing in St. Louis as a top seed are very low.

I just looked at RPI Forecast re: Kansas.They have played the number 1 schedule in the country and even at their current 18-6 record have the #1 RPI. Even if they lose 4 more regular season games (less than 4% chance of this), they will have an RPI of 6 or 7.

Even if we win out the regular season (another 4% probability event) we will have an RPI of 6-7.

Multiply one 4% event by another 4% event and you get: NOT HAPPENING. As such, our chances of playing in St. Louis as a top seed are very low.

But if WSU loses one game they drop down to about 8. two of these 3 teams will play in STL

KU (#7) and Iowa St. (#11) both lost last night. The cyclones got blown out, big time.

The cyclone blow out was big. BIG. I'd say both WVU and KST will crack top 25 next week. Iowa St. Shouldn't drop out, but drop big time for sure. Kansas takes maybe 8th or 9th spot? I'm starting to worry that even a win against VCU Saturday won't get us the love we need to crack the Top 10...