AP Poll - 2.10.14

moytoy12

I thought we might be 10th or maybe 11th. Still, 12th is our best ranking in a long time, right? And we might crack the top 10 with a win vs. VCU and a couple losses above us.

What does Wichita State have to do to get out of that #4 spot? I think they've earned 2nd by now, even if voters think they'd lose a head-to-head game with Arizona or Florida. It should be based on performance.

As for Cincy, I think they're playing above their heads. They have a Louisville-UConn-Memphis stretch in a few weeks, and I could see them losing another before that.

Wichita is kind of "ceilinged" like we are right now. They won 2 road games this week too.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

According to Lunardi this morning, SMU went from not even in bubble talks to now a #9 seed. It really is "what have you done for me lately and to whom?" And they went from 15 total points in last week's poll, to 205 today. All for one win. Twenty-two of the 25 teams are from BCS/big conferences.

And yes .. we lose to VCU and the bottom will drop out. Watch.

According to Lunardi this morning, SMU went from not even in bubble talks to now a #9 seed. It really is "what have you done for me lately and to whom?" And they went from 15 total points in last week's poll, to 205 today. All for one win. Twenty-two of the 25 teams are from BCS/big conferences.

And yes .. we lose to VCU and the bottom will drop out. Watch.

At VCU, not to VCU Saturday.

Also, it isn't just what have you done for me lately with SMU. In the past month and a half they have beat 3 top 25 teams.

We lost 2 months ago. I also thought Sparty's loss to Georgetown was this week. Cincy should have fallen further after getting drilled by SMU.

This. The polls should be about the teams that are performing the best "right now." Yes, Cincy has good wins but where were those "good teams" ranked when they played them and where are they ranked now? They played absolutely horribly at SMU and certainly didn't look like a top 10 team to me.

And Duke moving up THREE spots for beating wake forest AT HOME and boston college is a joke.

However, I am still really happy about being 12th in the country!

And the Billikens jump to....#12. A little disappointing.

Record Pts Prv

1. Syracuse (65) 23-0 1,625 1

2. Arizona 23-1 1,525 2

3. Florida 21-2 1,477 3

4. Wichita St. 25-0 1,445 4

5. San Diego St. 21-1 1,373 5

6. Villanova 21-2 1,288 6

7. Kansas 18-5 1,234 8

8. Duke 19-5 1,130 11

9. Michigan St. 20-4 1,025 9

10. Cincinnati 22-3 970 7

11. Iowa St. 18-4 925 16

12. Saint Louis 22-2 908 13

13. Louisville 19-4 866 14

14. Kentucky 18-5 769 18

15. Michigan 17-6 702 10

16. Iowa 18-6 686 17

17. Virginia 19-5 608 20

18. Creighton 19-4 552 12

19. Texas 18-5 417 15

20. Memphis 18-5 333 24

21. Wisconsin 19-5 242 --

22. Ohio St. 19-5 214 --

23. SMU 19-5 205 --

24. UConn 18-5 194 22

25. Pittsburgh 20-4 175 25

Others receiving votes: Oklahoma 99, Gonzaga 44, UCLA 43, New Mexico 23, Oklahoma St. 10, George Washington 6, Southern Miss. 6, Stephen F. Austin 3, Arizona St. 1, Kansas St. 1, North Carolina 1.

This a true BCS bias - Look what happened to Creighton they drop 6 slots and the others who loss drop one or 2 - Oh well I was fooled.

They lost. There should be a penalty for that. Cincy got destroyed. With only 1 game this week, I don't think we move up much again.

I agree - unless there is a blood bath of the teams in front of us we are likely stuck here until we happen to lose a game and then they will be looking to drop us 8 slots if we are lucky.

I thought we might be 10th or maybe 11th. Still, 12th is our best ranking in a long time, right? And we might crack the top 10 with a win vs. VCU and a couple losses above us.

What does Wichita State have to do to get out of that #4 spot? I think they've earned 2nd by now, even if voters think they'd lose a head-to-head game with Arizona or Florida. It should be based on performance.

As for Cincy, I think they're playing above their heads. They have a Louisville-UConn-Memphis stretch in a few weeks, and I could see them losing another before that.

WSU is stuck like us now - they will have to win out and probably still never make it to #2. All their games left are against sub 500 teams I heard so they have nothing to gain and everything to lose.

As long as WSU (or us) makes it all the way to the final championship game, what in heavens may they care about making #2 or not? The truth is that being in the top 25, under any ranking system you may wish to use, makes you special. You do not win 16 in a row by luck alone, you do not get rated nationally by luck alone. Once you are in the rankings you know you will go to the NCAA tournament. The issue is not the ranking, it is to win.

This. The polls should be about the teams that are performing the best "right now." Yes, Cincy has good wins but where were those "good teams" ranked when they played them and where are they ranked now? They played absolutely horribly at SMU and certainly didn't look like a top 10 team to me.

And Duke moving up THREE spots for beating wake forest AT HOME and boston college is a joke.

However, I am still really happy about being 12th in the country!

Polls should not dishonor great or good wins when an opponent was sailing high but started losing because a key player is injured

or flunks out; however, it has to be about the potential to move forward. Numbers say we are a twelve but there are a lot of teams

in the tailing list:(13. Louisville 19-4 866 14

14. Kentucky 18-5 769 18, 15. Michigan 17-6 702 10, 16. Iowa 18-6 686 17, 17. Virginia 19-5 608 20

18. Creighton 19-4 552 12, 19. Texas 18-5 417 15, 20. Memphis 18-5 333 24, 21. Wisconsin 19-5 242 --

22. Ohio St. 19-5 214 --, 23. SMU 19-5 205 --,) etc. that could beat us 2 out of 3, today with what they have left.

It is thrilling to be rated in the top 20. The real tests of the season and the future of the program will happen in the

next 16 months

Iowa State drew some eyeballs when Ejim went off for 48 on Saturday. That said, that is an embarrassing showing by ISU.

It also furthers the narrative about how great Kansas and friends (the B12) is.

They will also be losing a player to a suspension. At the end of the game an Iowa State player clobbered a WVU guy with a viscous elbow. Im not sure who the player was, just saw the replay on twitter, but it was nasty and it will be hard to argue it was unintentional.