New A.D.

Iggy

ST. LOUIS-Saint Louis University president Rev. Lawrence Biondi, S.J., today named St. Louis native Cheryl L. Levick as the Billikens' director of athletics. Levick has spent the last four years as director of athletics at Santa Clara University, a Jesuit, Catholic institution in northern California. She will be introduced at a press conference on Tue., June 29, in the Hall of Fame Room of the Bauman-Eberhardt Center at a time to be determined.

"Cheryl brings an impressively wide range of experience as an athletic administrator to Saint Louis University," Biondi said. "We are in one of the most exciting times in the history of Billiken athletics with our impending move to the Atlantic 10 Conference and with the plans in place for a new on-campus arena. Cheryl has the vision, energy and skill necessary to successfully guide our University through this era."

"I am truly thrilled and absolutely honored to be named director of athletics at Saint Louis University," Levick said. "As a native St. Louisan, this is a tailor-made position for me. I am eagerly looking forward to shaping an exciting new chapter in Billiken history.

"The Billikens have a loyal, dedicated support base, a history of competitive success both on the field and in the classroom and a legacy of outstanding leadership. Father Biondi has positioned the University as a first class institution of higher education and is an active proponent of including athletics as an integral part of the University's profile."

"Cheryl embodies the values of Saint Louis University," said search committee chairman Michael Ross, Ph.D. "As one of the most talented, dynamic and respected athletic administrators in the country, Cheryl will provide the leadership for Billiken athletics to achieve national prominence through competitive success, academic excellence and integrity."

"Cheryl brings not only the experience and leadership ability we are seeking in an athletic director, but also great enthusiasm," said University provost Joseph Weixlmann, Ph.D. "Her commitment to academic as well as athletic excellence, her ability to interact positively with all stakeholder groups, her understanding of the University's Jesuit mission and her national visibility mark Cheryl as a person prepared to take the Billiken athletic program to greater heights."

Levick was the first female athletic director to be appointed at Santa Clara in July 2000, and she was the West Coast Conference's first female athletic director. During her four years at SCU, Levick oversaw significant growth at the university. She developed a five-year strategic plan, spearheaded a major renovation of the Broncos' basketball arena, worked within SCU's capital campaign to receive a $42.75-million commitment to athletics, added nine new athletic scholarships, managed the 2002 NCAA Men's Basketball West Regional and watched the SCU women's soccer team capture the 2001 NCAA championship.

Before arriving at Santa Clara, Levick spent 12 years at Stanford University beginning in 1988. In her first three years, she served as associate director of athletics/senior woman administrator before being promoted to senior associate director in 1991. She served as the Cardinal's chief operating officer and successfully managed the department's internal operations while being the primary administrator for 33 varsity sports. She also was responsible for student services, NCAA compliance, sports medicine, postseason championships and personnel. During her tenure, the Cardinal won 44 national championships and six straight Sears Cup titles, emblematic of the nation's top collegiate athletic program.

Late last week, Levick was named president of the Division I-AAA Athletic Directors Association. The National Association of Collegiate Women Athletic Administrators honored Levick in 2000 as the Division I Administrator of the Year. In 2001, she received the Bay Area Woman of Achievement Award. Street and Smith's Sports Business Journal tabbed Levick as one of its Top 25 Female Sports Executives in both 1998 and 1999. She was the WCC representative to the NCAA Management Council and was chairman of the NCAA Committee on Women's Athletics.

After graduating from the University of Missouri, Levick began her career as head gymnastics coach and assistant women's track coach at Pattonville (Mo.) High School in 1974. She moved to Indiana University in 1976 and became an assistant coach for both gymnastics and synchronized swimming. She earned her master's degree in athletic administration at IU.

Levick moved into the administrative world when she joined the staff at Slippery Rock (Pa.) State College in 1977. After serving as head women's gymnastics coach, she was promoted to associate director of athletics in 1980. She was named interim director of athletics in 1982.

Levick joined the NCAA staff in Mission, Kan., in 1982, as assistant director of women's programs. She later added assistant director of communications and youth programs coordinator to her resume'. She left the NCAA to join the Pacific-10 Conference in 1988, as an assistant commissioner.

Levick assumes leadership of the Billikens' athletic department just one month after former AD Doug Woolard departed to take the reins at the University of South Florida.

- www.slubillikens.com -

CHERYL L. LEVICK CAREER HIGHLIGHTS

Director of Athletics and Recreation, Santa Clara University (July 2000 ? June 2004) • President of NCAA Division I-AAA Athletic Directors Association • Represented West Coast Conference on NCAA Management Council • Executive board member on San Jose Sports Authority Board of Directors

• Chair of 2002 NCAA Men's Basketball West Regional Organizing Committee

• 2003 Silicon Valley/San Jose Business Journal Top Influential Women in Business Award • 2001 San Jose Mercury News Woman of the Year Achievement Award in Sports • 2000 National Association of Collegiate Women Athletic Administrators

(NACWAA) National Administrator of the Year Award

Senior Associate Director of Athletics/Senior Woman Administrator, Stanford University (May 1988 ? June 2000) • Promoted from Assoc. Dir. of Athletics/SWA in 1991 • Served as chief operating officer managing 33 varsity sports and $30-million budget • Served as facility fundraiser of athletic department • Directed Pac-10 and NCAA championships hosted by Stanford • Pac-10 Conference representative on NCAA Academic/Eligibility/Compliance Cabinet (1998-2000) • Chair of 1999 NCAA Women's Final Four local organizing committee • 1998 and 1999 Street and Smith's Sports Business Journal Top 25 Female Sports Executives

Assistant Commissioner, Pacific-10 Conference (April 1986 - May 1988)

Assistant Director, NCAA (Dec. 1982 ? April 1986)

• Assisted with women's programs, communications and youth programs

Head Women's Gymnastics Coach, Slippery Rock State College (June 1977 ? Dec. 1982) • Promoted to Assoc. Dir. of Athletics in 1980 • Named interim AD in 1982

Assistant Coach, Indiana University (Aug. 1976 ? May 1977)

• Assisted with both gymnastics and synchronized swimming

Head Gymnastics Coach, Pattonville (Mo.) High School (Aug. 1974 ? June

1976)

i cant help but say that it appears we have instantly upgraded our administrative staff. even when we hired both debbie yow and doug woolard, neither came with the experience and resume that ms levrick already carries. one has to be thrilled about this.

I like the fact besides the obvious AD experience she also has a lot of NCAA committee experience and conference administration experience.

She also was appointed to a joint US Olympic Committee/NCAA task force on "olympic sports".

A very impressive hire (just don't change the Billiken logo for marketing).

I think this is a terrific move.

I believe that she is the type of candidate that can take the athletic department to another level.

I love her competitive spirit. Below I have excerpted a comment from her article on the Santa Clara athletic website. She is commenting on a milestone victory for a coach. After the praise she states:

"His Bronco team finished the season with a .500 record but gave us plenty of memorable moments."

I get the sense that the .500 season was a disappointment. I like hearing that. The site is:

http://santaclarabroncos.collegesports.com.../032404aaa.html

>i cant help but say that it appears we have instantly

>upgraded our administrative staff. even when we hired both

>debbie yow and doug woolard, neither came with the

>experience and resume that ms levrick already carries. one

>has to be thrilled about this.

Couldn't agree more. Based upon the quotes from her I have read in the various articles, she knows what's needs to be done and has the determination / drive need to get the job done.

Only time will tell but I think its a great hire. Does anyone know who else applied/was interviewed? Any of you insiders? This sounds like a really great move ... I really like the similar experience and hometown influence.

Yes, but Debbie Yow's group saturated the local market with the Spoonball concept and promotions. They even got SI to run a "Spoonball" article. Without her group's marketing effort, I am not convinced that Spoonball would have taken on a life of its own like it did.

I would like to see short term and long term comprehensive marketing and strategic planning that would involve all the resources of the business school and information technology...They need a coordinated project effort.

Actually, I think Biondi and Joe Weixlman(University Provost) will both be able to make the official press conference, which will be Tuesday, June 29. I think they were both leaving to go overseas tommorow and are supposed to be back on the 28th, so I think the reason the press conference will be on the 29th is to make it possible for them to attend.

Great hire by SLU.

and was very disappointed to see her leave. From the looks of the new AD, this looks like an upgrade over Yow, which appears to be quite a coup for SLU. She appears to be dynamic, focused increasing the athletic resources and improve performance while maintaining academic integrity. WHY WOULD I NOT LIKE HER??

Don't worry...all it takes is a questionable hire, declining performance...before I resume my pessimist views...