Congrats on the Win

Dr. Gunnie

Well, it was a tough one to watch for us Mason fans, but congrats on the win. Was glad to make the trip to see the game.

Your arena is fantastic. Might be the best arena I've been to... reminds me of the Verizon Center in DC, just a smaller scale. Our place at Mason also holds 10,000, but was built in the mid 80's and needs some upgrades. Really loved your place (and they sell beer - another plus).

Your fans were fantastic. Very respectful. Same with the students. Only a few knucklehead hecklers - but 99% were loud and respectful. Really thought it was a great environment.

You can see why it's been a frustrating year for us - we are not a bad team, just can't catch a break at the end. We played our best game yesterday as we didn't have our usual breakdown late in the game - had two pretty good looks at the end that just didn't fall.

Seen some of you guys complain about the officials - I thought they were inconsistent. Couldn't believe it when I looked up with about 6:00 left in the 1st half and you still didn't have a foul called against you. I think it went both ways with the questionable calls. I was shocked that there was no call on our last possession in regulation when you guys went for the steal after the inbounds.

You guys have a great team, great arena, and great fans. Good luck the rest of the way - and whatever you do, please beat VCU!

Well, it was a tough one to watch for us Mason fans, but congrats on the win. Was glad to make the trip to see the game.

Your arena is fantastic. Might be the best arena I've been to... reminds me of the Verizon Center in DC, just a smaller scale. Our place at Mason also holds 10,000, but was built in the mid 80's and needs some upgrades. Really loved your place (and they sell beer - another plus).

Your fans were fantastic. Very respectful. Same with the students. Only a few knucklehead hecklers - but 99% were loud and respectful. Really thought it was a great environment.

You can see why it's been a frustrating year for us - we are not a bad team, just can't catch a break at the end. We played our best game yesterday as we didn't have our usual breakdown late in the game - had two pretty good looks at the end that just didn't fall.

Seen some of you guys complain about the officials - I thought they were inconsistent. Couldn't believe it when I looked up with about 6:00 left in the 1st half and you still didn't have a foul called against you. I think it went both ways with the questionable calls. I was shocked that there was no call on our last possession in regulation when you guys went for the steal after the inbounds.

You guys have a great team, great arena, and great fans. Good luck the rest of the way - and whatever you do, please beat VCU!

Agreed. The officials were crap both ways. And I know I'd be pissed if the other team had 0 fouls 14 min through the game.

In the paper, Crews said our intention was to foul GMU on the final possession. His logic was that we had no chance of winning if we played straight up d but could win with missed fts.

In some ways, I love the out of the box thinking by crews. Particularly in a one and one situation there would be a decent chance that we would get the ball back tied. Plus, if you do it while attempting a steal there is a chance you get the steal without a ref call. That is what happened at the beginning of that last possession.

On the other hand, I hate the idea of intentionally giving them a free shot at taking the lead.

I'm curious as to what others think about it?

Dr. Gunnie, you have nothing to be ashamed for with the GM team. They are very good and have some very large and very talented players. Two things I have mentioned in other threads is that they foul way too much. I think the refs could have called twice or more the number of fouls they called on GM. This is really bad because SLU got to shoot 25 FT which probably gave us the game. On the other hand their hacking and mauling under the basket kept us from scoring. This brings the issue of the refs but I would rather stay out of this. One thought for GM people to think about is this: you have the height, you have the bulk, and you have the talent, if they hacked less under the basket they might do a whole lot better overall. A10 is a tough place as you have found out, even the bottom teams have what it takes to win (RI, Duquesne) and this very definitely includes GM. All the best, happy you visited us, hope you found a nice place for dinner with your family while you were here, and hope you went to see the Fox theater.

We're one of the best if not the best defensive team in the country. Our offense has been inconsistent. Dance with the girl that brung you. No way I foul intentionally. I might get aggressive for a steal, but no chance do I intentionally put them on the line

In the paper, Crews said our intention was to foul GMU on the final possession. His logic was that we had no chance of winning if we played straight up d but could win with missed fts.

In some ways, I love the out of the box thinking by crews. Particularly in a one and one situation there would be a decent chance that we would get the ball back tied. Plus, if you do it while attempting a steal there is a chance you get the steal without a ref call. That is what happened at the beginning of that last possession.

On the other hand, I hate the idea of intentionally giving them a free shot at taking the lead.

We are one of the best defensive teams in the country so therefore I wouldn't foul there. Fouling with the game tied is a huge gamble in my opinion

Just curious, where did you eat? Did you enjoy it?

I was for it and in the GDT stated we should do it. I'll back track a little and say that I'd do it if there was a particularly weak FT shooter on the court. If Allen or the other guy who looked like they could make 99/100 FTs got the ball, I wouldn't necessarily foul.

I was worried about Allen driving on us in that last possession. They were consistently breaking us down off the dribble and getting the o-board if they missed. Not sure why that wasn't the call on their last possession.

We're one of the best if not the best defensive team in the country. Our offense has been inconsistent. Dance with the girl that brung you. No way I foul intentionally. I might get aggressive for a steal, but no chance do I intentionally put them on the line

+1- fouling would m have been a mistake.

+1- fouling would m have been a mistake.

Intentionally fouling is probably foolish. I don't think that is what Crews meant. I think it makes sense to be aggressive (especially with more than 15 seconds left on the clock) and if you end up fouling, then at least you get the ball back with a chance.

It's about playing the percentages. If SLU doesn't get the ball back they have no chance of winning in regulation at all - either you go OT or lose. Not a very good situation. If you steal the ball, then you turn the tables. If you foul, then they still have to make the FTs and even if they do you still get the ball back with a chance to win or at least tie. If there isn't enough time left to give yourself a good scoring chance after FTs, then you have to play it straight up.

Jett's foul against RI led to exactly how you hope this situation plays out.

What fouling does there is puts a lot of heat on the offense to come down and score in a short clock situation. I think we've got the guys that could knock down a key shot in that case.

It's not really about fouling or not fouling. It is more about playing aggressive defense and going for the steal. You are also forcing the refs to make a call at a point in the game where they often swallow their whistles. You take the gamble because if you end up fouling, it doesn't hurt you all that much.

I can't recall if he was out there at the end of the game (he was fouled by DE to give GM the last possession, so i'm guessing he was), but Copes is a 29% FT shooter this year (guessing he hasn't had many attempts), 55% last year and 42% 2 years ago.

I would have supported fouling him on a 1-and-1.

Mason Fan welcome to the A-10 !

WOW you have a GREAT TEAM but, Loe draining those two 3's in OT was just a killer. And Jett had a great game also.

Having the Bonnies play Mason on your home court is going to be real real tough. Hope you win one before we get there.

This year in Brooklyn, even though SLU is at the top of the league, I think it is open to any team to win it. This has to be the strongest year ever even without X, Temple and Butler.

Go Bonnies

Rammer stated on the post game show that it would be to our benefit to not see GM in he A10 tourney and I have to agree. GM could easily beat any A10 team on any given night. I kinda feel for their players always losing right at the end of games. I feel like if we played this game last year or the year before GM could have easily won. Our 5 seniors are often our difference makers who don't lose their cool in tough situations.

These tight games gave these guys a great experience that they can use come NCAA tournament time.

Mason Fan welcome to the A-10 !

WOW you have a GREAT TEAM but, Loe draining those two 3's in OT was just a killer. And Jett had a great game also.

Having the Bonnies play Mason on your home court is going to be real real tough. Hope you win one before we get there.

This year in Brooklyn, even though SLU is at the top of the league, I think it is open to any team to win it. This has to be the strongest year ever even without X, Temple and Butler.

Go Bonnies

It was a tale of 2 games for Jett. 6 turnovers and some poor shooting decisions in the first 23 minutes, then lights out for the last 22 min.

Rammer stated on the post game show that it would be to our benefit to not see GM in he A10 tourney and I have to agree. GM could easily beat any A10 team on any given night. I kinda feel for their players always losing right at the end of games. I feel like if we played this game last year or the year before GM could have easily won. Our 5 seniors are often our difference makers who don't lose their cool in tough situations.

These tight games gave these guys a great experience that they can use come NCAA tournament time.

In the A-10 tourney, I'd be more concerned about GM than I would SBU.