Game day threads

Billikenswin

I don't personally insult players, but get frustrated with their play at times like any fan. I'm also critical of JC when I feel it's warranted. I guess the OP chooses to ignore when we praise out players in the GDT. For example, I was critical of GG early, but then praised him late. GG had a nice second half.

Billikan - the team has played solidly defensively. The criticism of the team and Crews is mostly fair. It is part of the job. Crews has some strange timeout/no timeout habits. The team has struggled offensively quite a few minutes this season.

Every division 1 fan base has people who critique the play of the team. This board is fairly tame compared to a lot of them. I'll take the random cussing and such if we don't have to deal with some of the toothless wonders that populate salukitalk, big blue nation, or some of the others. If no one disagreed, what is the point of this board? This is division 1 basketball. This isn't the Salvation Army Biddy Basketball League for 2nd graders. Not everything is rainbows and unicorns. I'd suggest lowering your expectations.

Rainbow-Unicorn.png

Who was the play-by-play man with Carolyn Peck last night? He kept commenting on how Jake was an outside gunner and had a nice shot and release. Jake's missing continually made him look dumb. On one hand, JB can't throw it in the ocean standing on the pier. On the other, if someone doesn't shoot, Evans is locked in triple chains. McCall is hesitant at times; McBroom unwise. Oh well. One more OOC game to work out kinks.

And what idiot puts Carolyn Peck on a home Vandy broadcast???? She is a Vandy alum and a Vandy athletic Hall of Famer. A little biased? I'll say. That would be like putting the Rammer on a ESPNU/ESPN/CBS Billiken broadcast. That would rub some people (opposing team viewers) the wrong way. Plus her husband proposed at half court. Jeez.

Who was the play-by-play man with Carolyn Peck last night? He kept commenting on how Jake was an outside gunner and had a nice shot and release. Jake's missing continually made him look dumb. On one hand, JB can't throw it in the ocean standing on the pier. On the other, if someone doesn't shoot, Evans is locked in triple chains. McCall is hesitant at times; McBroom unwise. Oh well. One more OOC game to work out kinks.

And what idiot puts Carolyn Peck on a home Vandy broadcast???? She is a Vandy alum and a Vandy athletic Hall of Famer. A little biased? I'll say. That would be like putting the Rammer on a ESPNU/ESPN/CBS Billiken broadcast. That would rub some people (opposing team viewers) the wrong way. Plus her husband proposed at half court. Jeez.

Rammer on a national telecast would be great...for us.

I think this is all part of the ESPN/SEC promo strategy. they are launching a new SEC network in the summer and just announced yesterday that Tim Tebow will be the first hire. These game announcers were unabashedly pro Vanderbilt and pro SEC as part of the lead in to the new network for all SEC fans. Even the pregame sports news show did a piece on Vanderbilt and how well they had been playing and did nothing on the Bills. But in the end everyone including the two game announcers and the post game news commentators were very complimentary of our Billikens and their toughness and the quality of the team so that is good from a national perspective.

Of course no one likes to see players missing shots but it happens on the road -- a lot. Unfamiliar gyms, etc.

The thing I am repeatedly amazed at is how dense this board is about the entire game of basketball. Players do not make perfect plays all of the time. They are human and make mistakes. But very few seem to understand that there are two sides to the ball and our defense is truly outstanding. In particular, our guards, JJ and MM are the best defensive tandum in the history of Billiken basketball in my opinion. I cannot think of two better defensive guards who played together on the same team. And the rest of the team is playing great fundamental team defense unless we put the frosh in the game. Even last night you could see when RA came in the game the team defense suffered in the first half. When we shoot the ball well from outside we look like world beaters if we keep up the defensive intensity. The overreaction to individual plays and the constant whining about the coaching and GG are completely unjustified and make our fans look like they don't have a clue. Maybe the GDT should be erased immediately after the game so no outsider can read it later and see how stupid we look.

I bet you are loads of fun to watch sporting events with.

I think this is all part of the ESPN/SEC promo strategy. they are launching a new SEC network in the summer and just announced yesterday that Tim Tebow will be the first hire. These game announcers were unabashedly pro Vanderbilt and pro SEC as part of the lead in to the new network for all SEC fans. Even the pregame sports news show did a piece on Vanderbilt and how well they had been playing and did nothing on the Bills. But in the end everyone including the two game announcers and the post game news commentators were very complimentary of our Billikens and their toughness and the quality of the team so that is good from a national perspective.

This is it. There were a bunch of times where they called is SEC basketball on ESPN, etc. Its the benefits of having a very desireable football product that can be packaged with a mediocre basketball package.

Dino Gaudio on the postgame has been a big fan of the Bills the last few years. He was another FOM (Friend of Majerus).

What outsider is going to come to this board and read a GDT and see us complain about Barnett going 0-7 from 3, or Glaze fighting for rebounds with his own team and knocking it out of bounds, or Jett passing it straight to the opponent and think that we're clueless about basketball for complaining about that? So what if we b!tc h and moan about the players when they play bad? The players certainly don't care what we think and I couldn't care less what opposing teams fans think about us.

Bob Knight, one of the greatest coaches ever, has a philosophy that most games are lost and not won. He says the teams that don't continue to make the same mistakes, and the teams that make adjustments so that they don't beat themselves are the teams that are the most successful. Every team will make mistakes in every game, but I don't think it's unjustified to criticize players for continuing to make the same mistakes. At the very least let's do something different wrong every game so that teams can't find a specific weakness on our team.

Jesus Christ, who watches a game, then comes onto this board after the game is over, reads through the entire GDT, then decides it is necessary to start another thread complaining about how mean some guys were in that thread? The worst part about it is that this is the second time Billikenswin has done this.

We should all play nice and give JB a trophy for being on the team. Do away w/ MVP awards and all that other personal achievement stuff. I think everyone played like champions last night.

Great idea! Everyone gets a trophy! No need to practice. This team is already great!

participant.jpg