Game day threads

Billikenswin

Is it possible for these things to get any worse. I just watched the game and was happy we gutted out a tought win on the road in a funky fieldhouse against a team from the SEC which almost never loses at home to an out of conference team in a game where our outside shooting left us and then I go the the GDT and I swear if you did not know better you would think this team is 2-12.--Moytoy is the champion of crap but many others rip the players and the coach and just post constant crap. What the hell is it with the fans who frequent this site? We are 12-2 with close losses to the 4th and 8th teams in the country. We are 4-0 on the road when many teams never play any out of conf games on the road in the other teams gyms. Our defense is spectacular--awesome and ridiculously good, maybe the best the the country--yet so many of you just spew bs constantly. Don't you think our team deserves better? I am embarrassed for our fans and out school to even read this junk.

The problem with GDT threads is they are people's live thoughts unfiltered. Many times they are thoughts, rational or not, that a fan has during a game that go from the brain to the keyboard. I try to refrain to post during the games b/c you really are emotional and in the moment at that point in time.

The GDT threads are the equivalent of 50 fans watching and commenting on the game in real time together. When we play like , people say it. When we play well, people say it. When the refs suck, people say it. When players go 2-11, people say it.

If you really watched that whole game and didn't criticize our team for the first 35 minutes then you should be nominated for saint hood. The GDT is no different then if we were in your living room listening to your comments to mrs Billikan.

I think it is simply a sign of heightened expectations coupled with a bunch of guys blowing off steam.

So that justifies insulting our players and our coach--sorry, I do not buy that at all! Vandy just blew out Georgia Tech, a team on a winning streak and almost won at Texas which has played very well and beat North Carolina. Yet the fans here make it sound like we beat a division 3 team with an under .500 recond.

I say the same things at every live sporting event.

Thats now GDT go. Its the emotions of a live sporting event online.

If it was all good efforts and atta boys it would be pretty boring to take part in.

Its a way to watch the game with others while sitting at home.

GDT's are to say jake barnett went 0-7 wtf , not to say "jake just went 0-7 but its okay bc vandy just beat georgia tech"

Who are you to say "please be more polite in the GDT"

i say if you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen and spank your ass with the spatchel on the way out

Billikenswin .....you are clearly optimistic by your name but you poopy

I personally liked the GDT because i was watching the game all alone and felt as if i had friends watching the game with me,

Is it possible for these things to get any worse. I just watched the game and was happy we gutted out a tought win on the road in a funky fieldhouse against a team from the SEC which almost never loses at home to an out of conference team in a game where our outside shooting left us and then I go the the GDT and I swear if you did not know better you would think this team is 2-12.--Moytoy is the champion of crap but many others rip the players and the coach and just post constant crap. What the hell is it with the fans who frequent this site? We are 12-2 with close losses to the 4th and 8th teams in the country. We are 4-0 on the road when many teams never play any out of conf games on the road in the other teams gyms. Our defense is spectacular--awesome and ridiculously good, maybe the best the the country--yet so many of you just spew bs constantly. Don't you think our team deserves better? I am embarrassed for our fans and out school to even read this junk.

The first half gave us plenty to complain about when it came to both players and the coach. It was a bad half of basketball.

Do you expect people not to comment on the fact that we fired up 16 three point shots in the half and made only 3? Do you expect people not to comment on the fact that a player (who is shooting 28% from 3) fires up 7 three point shots, makes zero, and seems to have the green light from the coach to keep firing away?

Yes, it can get worse. Threads whining about gameday threads = worse than gameday threads.

The GDT is the instant echo chamber. There's no gift of hindsight. There's not a ton of perspective. We're commenting on stuff as it happens. As someone said above, we're blowing off steam in a lot of cases. And - in case you didn't notice - cheerleading quite a bit when things go well.

You won't find much negativity in, say, the Indiana State one because it was a beautiful game from start to finish for SLU fans. Most of our other games, though, have been ugly. So the instant analysis isn't going to be favorable all the time.

If you can't handle the GDT, stay out of the GDT.

Compared to what Barry Hinson did on national television, I think this game day thread is pretty tame. The more I think about this, the more I think you're really overreacting. This is a source of entertainment. No one takes it seriously.

I would think that the team would appreciate that they have such rabidly loyal fans that they're glued to their computers commenting as the game goes along. A lot better than having no one out there who really cares.

I love the fact that we're all commenting from different places across the country as we watch our team. It's a great sense of community and it's a heck of a lot of fun, not to mention the fact that it helps relieve a lot of frustration without any property damage or bodily harm.

The first half gave us plenty to complain about when it came to both players and the coach. It was a bad half of basketball.

Do you expect people not to comment on the fact that we fired up 16 three point shots in the half and made only 3? Do you expect people not to comment on the fact that a player (who is shooting 28% from 3) fires up 7 three point shots, makes zero, and seems to have the green light from the coach to keep firing away?

You can't put the handcuffs on a shooter especially when he's getting wide open looks like JB was. I think that's where most of the negativity was directed in last night's GDT. I know I was pulling my hair out on at least 3 or 4 of his wide open misses. Yes, JB gets the bulk of the negative comments on here because he's in there to open up the inside for our bigs. That and playing average D is all that's expected of him. When he does neither he makes it tougher to WIN. At this point, I'd like to see more of GG and RA with AM off the bench to loosen things up on the inside. Until JB shows he's better than a 20%'er from 3 land his mpg should be trimmed down.

Right now, with the three, I would advocate only McBroom, McCall and Loe take them ---- in that order ----- but the problem with that then becomes what role does Jake indeed play? Jake is in there to fill the void left by the departure of Ellis and Mitchell. These were two senior shooters who not only took the three, but kept defenses honest and on them, thereby opening the middle for Evans to do his best work. We don't have that this year and last night's game against Vandy showed what I suspect Dwayne willsee the rest of the year --- double- and triple-downs. He has to get rid of the ball early and the guys he hits have to make shots or the strategy does not change. According to the ESPN play-by-play last night, not only were we 3-for-19 from the arc, but we were only 2-of-12 on shots other than layups and Duffman noted one might have been a layup too and another was a missed tip-in. Still, that's 15.8% from three and another 16.6% from two. Anybody arguing against how downright PITIFUL that is is insane ----- not positive.

Nate is right in that GDT threads are emotional and statements in the moment. You don't like it, don't read it. My dog hid under the couch during Sunday's Eagles/Cowboys game. That's what a GDT is all about. And I am never that way with the Bills. They don't get paid.

Last night's game was a measuring stick for me. Lots of holes in this team, many more than last year. Is the season doomed? Nope. I think, much like las tnight, they can and will overcome shortcomings. Not all the time, but with five seniors, most of the time. There will be one game where not only won't the regular FGs drop, but so too won't the layups. And we'll get hammered. And we'll move on.

Bring on Yale.

Fair assessment, Taj Mahal 79. I look at GDT's as a way to attend from afar and share my emotions with the other fans (posters) sitting around me. I don't know what Billswim saw in JB last night that would've produced cheers for him, save for his two layups. There would have been a lot of moaning and groaning at every wide open clanker he put up last night. Not to mention some name calling and screaming to sit him. That's what the GDT thing, and being a fan, is all about. Yeah, they don't get paid, but this ain't rec ball they're playing either. And speaking of JBs shots last night, I don't think anyone of the 9 ever came close to falling.

Fair assessment, Taj Mahal 79. I look at GDT's as a way to attend from afar and share my emotions with the other fans (posters) sitting around me. I don't know what Billswim saw in JB last night that would've produced cheers for him, save for his two layups. There would have been a lot of moaning and groaning at every wide open clanker he put up last night. Not to mention some name calling and screaming to sit him. That's what the GDT thing, and being a fan, is all about. Yeah, they don't get paid, but this ain't rec ball they're playing either. And speaking of JBs shots last night, I don't think anyone of the 9 ever came close to falling.

No, they do not get paid, but they're getting about $200,000 worth of free education and room and board. That's not too shabby compared with most of us had to do to get through school.

Of course no one likes to see players missing shots but it happens on the road -- a lot. Unfamiliar gyms, etc.

The thing I am repeatedly amazed at is how dense this board is about the entire game of basketball. Players do not make perfect plays all of the time. They are human and make mistakes. But very few seem to understand that there are two sides to the ball and our defense is truly outstanding. In particular, our guards, JJ and MM are the best defensive tandum in the history of Billiken basketball in my opinion. I cannot think of two better defensive guards who played together on the same team. And the rest of the team is playing great fundamental team defense unless we put the frosh in the game. Even last night you could see when RA came in the game the team defense suffered in the first half. When we shoot the ball well from outside we look like world beaters if we keep up the defensive intensity. The overreaction to individual plays and the constant whining about the coaching and GG are completely unjustified and make our fans look like they don't have a clue. Maybe the GDT should be erased immediately after the game so no outsider can read it later and see how stupid we look.

Of course no one likes to see players missing shots but it happens on the road -- a lot. Unfamiliar gyms, etc.

The thing I am repeatedly amazed at is how dense this board is about the entire game of basketball. Players do not make perfect plays all of the time. They are human and make mistakes. But very few seem to understand that there are two sides to the ball and our defense is truly outstanding. In particular, our guards, JJ and MM are the best defensive tandum in the history of Billiken basketball in my opinion. I cannot think of two better defensive guards who played together on the same team. And the rest of the team is playing great fundamental team defense unless we put the frosh in the game. Even last night you could see when RA came in the game the team defense suffered in the first half. When we shoot the ball well from outside we look like world beaters if we keep up the defensive intensity. The overreaction to individual plays and the constant whining about the coaching and GG are completely unjustified and make our fans look like they don't have a clue. Maybe the GDT should be erased immediately after the game so no outsider can read it later and see how stupid we look.

Do you think it is materially different on the boards of the other 330 D1 schools? The only difference is that some of them have little or no activity. Which would you prefer?