GDT: Have Your Terriers Spayed or Neutered

JettFlight5

Bills were distracted because Gus Phillips doesn't know the difference between an intentional foul and a technical foul.

I'm glad someone else noticed that. He also doesn't know that a media timeout is an official timeout.

If we get into the Big East, will we finally be forced to upgrade to an announcer who understands basketball?

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bills were distracted because Gus Phillips doesn't know the difference between an intentional foul and a technical foul.

Yeah, I thought that was wrong when he called it a T. I just wish if (I should say WHEN) he doesn't know what he's talking about, he'd zip it. I noted that when the second one occurred he did NOT call it a technical foul. And who would have guessed the Terriers would commit TWO in the same game? For that matter, who would have guessed they'd be within 6 with eight minutes to go?

I'm glad someone else noticed that. He also doesn't know that a media timeout is an official timeout.

If we get into the Big East, will we finally be forced to upgrade to an announcer who understands basketball?

Hey, at least TYLER Lancona didn't play tonight.

Technically... the first foul was a technical. Intentional foul, flagrant 1 is a technical foul. I don't know if the 2nd foul was a flagrant or not.

Evans - Just an awful game for him. The worst of his career easily. He was rattled and not in a good way. At one point he stormed past Crews when he was taken out. Crews really laid into him. Crews pulled him and McCall at the start of the 2nd half because of lack of defensive effort. I've never seen that happen to Evans. His on court demeanor is not good right now. A lot of sulking, complaining, and playing for calls. Tonight he only had a post up game, outside of the first 5 minutes he was dreadful on the wing and hasn't looked confident or done much of anything outside the post all season, especially off the dribble. Sure tonight was an outlier but I think it has been a culmination of the rest of the season. Really he's only played a couple games like he played last year down the stretch. Otherwise he's been lacking. Our lineups with him at the 3 just aren't effective. I know he's taking a beating down low but the coaching staff and he must figure out a way for him to be more productive. We go as Dwayne goes.

McBroom - He was almost as bad as Evans. Defensively I thought he was on point. Better than usual. He was wild on offense, taking huge risks and none of it paid off. He was a negative on the offensive end. With nothing clicking for us on offense, he was taking it upon himself to spark the team, except he's at best the 3rd option when he is on the court.

McCall - A no show game from him. Didn't do anything bad, but nothing good either. Evans struggling mightily, so McCall takes one shot all game? He sleepwalked on both ends of the court. He's our best all around scorer after Evans. When Dwayne is down he has to step up. He disappeared tonight. He played 30 minutes. I hardly noticed him out there.

Jett - He saved the game for us. His play down the stretch (along with Wofford's two intentional fouls which led to 7 points) sealed the game. This would have been a possible loss without him. Still he wasn't active the whole game either. He took long stretches off, especially on defense. I've never seen him play worse defense. When play wasn't ongoing he walks around like an old man. Maybe he is hurt. I can do without his ill advised 3s but no one was else was shooting, at least he made 1. Can't argue with 16 5 and 4.

Loe - Best effort of the season by him? I believe so. Outside shot refuses to fall, every one was this close but no good. Did finally hit one near the end. He was really active defensively, was making good cuts to the basket, showed nice hands, and was on the boards along with staying out of foul trouble. Very solid game.

Glaze - He couldn't finish a couple gimmes and had 2 TOs despite having the ball in his hands probably all of 30 seconds the whole game. Played solid D and worked on the boards. He's returning to early season form, just wish he and Dwayne could be on the floor with each other better.

Manning - Just 10 minutes had 9 points, a block and 2 boards. Disruptive on defense. I was surprised on his 3 pointer, but he was open and looked good shooting it. Again showed his jump hook, for being his go to post move, he shoots it terribly. Give me a pump fake, face up, a spin, something the jump hook is ugly. He and Rob combined for 14 of the 35 points in the first half. Great production from the 5 spot especially with Evans being a black hole down there.

Barnett - This is the Barnett we need. Mistake free defense, some rebounding, a little shooting, he even had 2 blocks and a steal. Drove to the basket a couple times, one was ill advised ending in a charge but our offense had just stagnated he had little choice.

Even if we play like this we are a good team. We have a lot more potential though than we are showing. Our lack of outside shooting and our offense in general is just abysmal right now. We aren't playing to our strengths and the lineups still appear to be mismatched. I see way too much freelancing. ISU is going to be a very tough test. We play like we did tonight we get run out of our building.

Boy what a bunch of Debbie Downers - just kidding but some on this board would be saying if not thinking that. I am not sure what the issue is with this team. It clearly is on the offensive side of the ball. Defensively we seem to end up OK even if there are a few lapses at times - what does not make any sense is if the players were dogging it that would show up on the defensive side but it does not at least not overall. DE's problem is simple - he is being double and triple teamed all game because nobody is taking the pressure off him by hitting and perimeter shots. Maybe he needs to play a little more outside to help open up the basket area for our guards to drive with less traffic which might produce some more points even though our perimeter shooting has been inconsistent. RL has continued to be the only constant on the team - his outside shot is not falling but he is making up for it in other scoring ways and on the defensive side. GG has a lot more intensity the last 3 or so games and it shows on the court - may not be producing many points consistently but he is at least becoming a factor again. JM had his moments tonight, I have to give that to him but I thought it was curious that given his play in the first half that he spent so much time on the bench in the second half. Crews is beginning to remind me of Martz when he was coach of the Rams - every time someone would ask about a problem he would just say - we will fix that - but it never really got fixed. Crews clearly is having trouble settling on his rotation and establishing an offensive identity for the team. I am not sure if this is an issue of the coaching primarily or just a lack of leaders on the floor. Foul shooting continues to plague the team - shooting in the upper 60s% is not going to cut it in close conference games but I fear there is not much to be done about it now. I do agree that some of us may have the "now that RM is gone all his bad things are forgotten" but the truth is Crews is just the guy who took over after him and anybody would be having some of this happening to them. I guess since he was with the team before some of us just expected that he would have not had the transition issues but maybe that is to be expected - who knows. I do agree - we will have to play better against ISU to win and the same problems keep persisting that caused the WI and WSU losses which will rear it ugly head again and again in close games.

Technically... the first foul was a technical. Intentional foul, flagrant 1 is a technical foul. I don't know if the 2nd foul was a flagrant or not.

Not arguing with you. I don't know! But the box score in the paper shows NO technical fouls for either team. I only saw the "crossed arms" signal for an intentional/flagrant foul and never saw the ref signal a T. I do think the first one on Evans was much more flagrant than the one late in the game. And really weird to have two in one game. I know the Wofford coach immediately talked to both players that committed those fouls but I wonder if that's common for those guys.

Not arguing with you. I don't know! But the box score in the paper shows NO technical fouls for either team. I only saw the "crossed arms" signal for an intentional/flagrant foul and never saw the ref signal a T. I do think the first one on Evans was much more flagrant than the one late in the game. And really weird to have two in one game. I know the Wofford coach immediately talked to both players that committed those fouls but I wonder if that's common for those guys.

The 1st one was really awful. That is the type of foul that IMO should get you tossed as well. He basically just tackled him from behind which is really dangerous because the player is not expecting to be taken down like that and can't brace himself.

No way the second one should have been a flagrant. He fouled him cleanly and instead of letting our guy fall to the ground held him up. He essentially got punished for trying to protect our player.

The first flagrant was bad and completely unnecessary.

The 1st one was really awful. That is the type of foul that IMO should get you tossed as well. He basically just tackled him from behind which is really dangerous because the player is not expecting to be taken down like that and can't brace himself.

Agree. I think that play certainly qualified as a reason to eject someone.

No way the second one should have been a flagrant. He fouled him cleanly and instead of letting our guy fall to the ground held him up. He essentially got punished for trying to protect our player.

The first flagrant was bad and completely unnecessary.

Maybe I saw it wrong, but I would say it (2nd one) was "intentional" at least. And I thought a different Wofford player who was behind him held him up. Not the player (Faithfull) who committed the foul.

I think the 2nd foul was called because the first one was flagrant and the ref was trying to send a message to Wo that this type of play will not be tolerated. If that 2nd foul occurred first the refs might have let it go.

I think the 2nd foul was called because the first one was flagrant and the ref was trying to send a message to Wo that this type of play will not be tolerated. If that 2nd foul occurred first the refs might have let it go.

I think you're right. That first one was ugly.

Maybe it took Dwayne out of his game though. So if that was the intent, mission accomplished.

did crews say anything interesting in his postgame interview? i wish they would post those

Lots of coach speak - he really likes his team and how they play defense. Wofford is a hard team to run an offense against. He really seldom says much of substance and is usually very protective of his players by praising them even when they may or may not deserve it per se.

Lots of coach speak - he really likes his team and how they play defense. Wofford is a hard team to run an offense against. He really seldom says much of substance and is usually very protective of his players by praising them even when they may or may not deserve it per se.

He definitely has a lot of Mike Matheney in him in that he never says anything negative about the players publicly. Pretty much the opposite of what Majerus did as he used the media as place to vent and motivate players. I think its fair to say that those that want Crews to rant and rave in his press conferences and throw players under the bus aren't going to get what they want.

He definitely has a lot of Mike Matheney in him in that he never says anything negative about the players publicly. Pretty much the opposite of what Majerus did as he used the media as place to vent and motivate players. I think its fair to say that those that want Crews to rant and rave in his press conferences and throw players under the bus aren't going to get what they want.

It's pretty funny that we had people complaining about Majerus's rants and his ripping players in the media and now we have people complaining about Crews's coach-speak and not calling players out.

I'm not sure it is the same people, but it is amusing. I take anything coaches say in the media with a big grain of salt. Hopefully Crews is getting it done in practice and demanding more from the players away from the prying eyes of the media. No way of knowing that really.

It's pretty funny that we had people complaining about Majerus's rants and his ripping players in the media and now we have people complaining about Crews's coach-speak and not calling players out.

I'm not sure it is the same people, but it is amusing. I take anything coaches say in the media with a big grain of salt. Hopefully Crews is getting it done in practice and demanding more from the players away from the prying eyes of the media. No way of knowing that really.

My post was not taking a position either way on him - I only tried to answer the guys question about what he says. I could care less what JC says on those post game interviews - they simply are time fillers and that is why RM never did them - he saw them as a waste of time. Given what I have heard from JC up to now, he just is not someone who will rock the boat so if you like his style then fine but for me he is just not very interesting to listen to - that does not make him good or bad.