Bills by 4 over Valpo

The Wiz

Valpo ( B ) is a good team . But since we are A rated we should prevail. That is, provided we bring our A game. Valpo is a good 3 point shooting team (top 15% of all teams). But then again the Bills are 7th in the nation in 3pt D so it should be a good matchup.. A win, particularly by more than 4, would help our numbers considerably.

Here's what we need to do to win............

Hold Valpo to 14 or less shots from the arc and make 4 or less ...target % around 28%

For the Bills ...shoot 37% or better overall and mid 70's from the charity stripe.

All these numbers are very doable.

So let's do it.

Greatest sports quote I ever heard. Chris Schenkel asking Cleveland Browns QB before a big game against the NY Giants:

CS: Frank, what do you think will be the biggest factor in the game?

FR: Uh, the score.

Ryan went on to get his doctorate in math. Simple answers always seem to be the brightest.

Warning: this is a losable game. Valpo has good seniors and a solid group of freshmen, even without our old pal KC eligible at the moment. The gym is a bandbox (I've been there); and will be absolutely filled to the rafters, with bball-fanatics looking for their own signature win. This is their Wichita State home game, folks.

Plus: we're tired, heading into finals week, and results over the past 10 days are mixed at best. Not predicting an upset exactly, just not sure what to expect. Could it be this year's shocker (no pun intended)??

The gym is a bandbox (I've been there); and will be absolutely filled to the rafters, with bball-fanatics looking for their own signature win.

I'm not sure about that. The gym is certainly a bandbox, but the game is tomorrow and if you look at the Valpo ticket website there are still plenty of seats available. The mezzanine level is probably less than 20% full.

I'm not sure about that. The gym is certainly a bandbox, but the game is tomorrow and if you look at the Valpo ticket website there are still plenty of seats available. The mezzanine level is probably less than 20% full.

I got tickets in the fifth or sixth row behind the SLU bench earlier this week. The arena only seats like 5000-5500 I think, so it shouldn't be crazy hard to fill, but it would require some serious walkup traffic.

I agree this is a game we could lose, but I expect a hard fought game in which we prevail. The concern I have is Lancona's ankle, the refs and potential for early fouls on Evans and Loe. The Wiz's spread seems about right, but may lead to a roller coaster gameday thread with mutiple mini-melt-downs....

Warning: this is a losable game. Valpo has good seniors and a solid group of freshmen, even without our old pal KC eligible at the moment. The gym is a bandbox (I've been there); and will be absolutely filled to the rafters, with bball-fanatics looking for their own signature win. This is their Wichita State home game, folks.

Plus: we're tired, heading into finals week, and results over the past 10 days are mixed at best. Not predicting an upset exactly, just not sure what to expect. Could it be this year's shocker (no pun intended)??

It won't be full (top section will be half empty). The ticket staff is hoping for a better than usual walk-up crowd but I'm doubting that.

I would give SLU a 10 point advantage if the spread was up to me. All you say about Valpo is true but there are some very glaring weaknesses with the big men. They have hands like seals have fins. Both are fairly new to basketball and the offense has been working the ball into them. Unfortunately the big men (Gueye-Senegal and Fernandez-Jamaican) fumble it away about half the time. Against a good defense like SLU that will kill Valpo's offense. I'm hoping the better skilled Americans (Capobianco and Adekoya) post up more. Both are truly skilled around the basket.

One thing I guarantee is that the student section behind the basket closest to the visitor bench will be standing, loud, and jumping. They will be up in the Billikens faces all night. It's a huge home court advantage.I don't think it will be enough to sway the outcome.

Peters (freshman from Washington, IL-several of his HS teammates lost their homes in the tornado) could go off. Scored 30 points against Evansville. Also Dority, Williams, Coleman or Yeo could go off and have a 20+ point night. Valpo has a ton of options. I just don't feel it will be enough against SLU's extremely tough D.

SLU will not get a lot of points under the basket because of the VU big men and will have to make shots against Valpo's continuous zone D.

SLU will not get a lot of points under the basket because of the VU big men and will have to make shots against Valpo's continuous zone D.

That will cause Dwight to reprise his New Mexico State performance and then never look back. Thanks, Valpo, for waking up the continuously "angry Dwayne Evans"! All-America, player of the year, and the NBA draft are next.

That will cause Dwight to reprise his New Mexico State performance and then never look back. Thanks, Valpo, for waking up the continuously "angry Dwayne Evans"! All-America, player of the year, and the NBA draft are next.

Evans won't get those points, at least points under the basket, until both Gueye and Fernandez foul out, which is more than likely to happen. Against Ball State they held Majok to 5 points with Gueye fouling out and Vashil Fernandez getting 4 fouls. Majok scored 15 against Butler in a 1 point loss to the Bulldogs.

Evans won't get those points, at least points under the basket, until both Gueye and Fernandez foul out, which is more than likely to happen. Against Ball State they held Majok to 5 points with Gueye fouling out and Vashil Fernandez getting 4 fouls. Majok scored 15 against Butler in a 1 point loss to the Bulldogs.

You understand you're comparing decent players at mid majors to one of the 50 best players in the whole country right?

Evans is a much better scorer than Majok Majok (a throwback name of someone SLU recruited). Also, I doubt Evans will be guarded by Gueye or Fernandez, which is who most likely guarded Majok. Finally, Loe will be in the game which will draw one of those two away from the basket.

Your comparison doesn't hold much of any weight, in my opinion.

All I heard was "continuous zone" and got a little nervous. If a team plays man-to-man, then DE will punish them. If a team plays zone, they can crash 2-3 guys down on DE. It's exactly what WSU did in the last 5 or so minutes.

Valpo is no WSU, but I bet the zone keeps this game really close. Uncomfortably close.

I was hearing rumors that asst Coach Roger Powell has come through and drove to Indy with the legal documents that will allow Keith Carter to play tomorrow night (Sat). There should be a ruling by Saturday afternoon. It's some kind of hardship case about Keith's injury and the way he was treated. I imagine a legal man from the NCAA talked to the SLU coaching staff tonight in Valpo.

If you believe that....................I know of a Nigerian prince who says he discovered $600,000 in blood diamonds that is owed to an American without heirs. If you send him $2,000 for his costs he will send you the $600,000.

Greatest sports quote I ever heard. Chris Schenkel asking Cleveland Browns QB before a big game against the NY Giants:

CS: Frank, what do you think will be the biggest factor in the game?

FR: Uh, the score.

Ryan went on to get his doctorate in math. Simple answers always seem to be the brightest.

I love this. So true, but so many try to slice and dice into other things.