A10 Schedule Analysis

Taj79

Had not seen if anyone posted this: http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/88010/nonconference-schedule-analysis-a10

On a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being highest/toughest, the ranking of the current OOC schedules for 2013-14:

Richmond ------ 8

St. Joe's -------- 8

VCU ------------- 8

Saint Louis ---- 7

Dayton --------- 7

Mason ---------- 7

GeeDub -------- 7

Umass ---------- 6

Rhodey --------- 6

Fordham ------- 6

Duquesne ----- 4

La Salle -------- 4

Bonaventure --- 4

Okay read. Our toughest game is Wichita followed by Wisconsin in Cancun. Plus they offer warnign signlas on playing Indiana State. Bottom line: "all we can handle before conference play."

As I said a week ago, I see 2-3 preseason losses (probably 3) from the following group of teams (WSU;WIS; Ind St; and Vandy). Add a conference loss to VCU and a "URI special" where we lose to a team we should have killed and I'm up to 5 losses plus a possible 6th in conference, before the conference tourney. That's still a good year and should get us into the NCAA.

I'd be surprised if we had more than 2 non-con losses. Teams as good as ours should never expect a loss at home and should be able to beat weaker opponents on the road. You always have to allow for unexpected results like RI last year but anything more than 2 would be disappointing.

Only reason we could lose at Vandy is because of that stupid court with the benches on the endlines. We're more talented and it's Christmas Break so I wouldn't expect a hostile environment although NH could tell me wrong.

Wisconsin is pretty tough. Wichita St is tough but I like being at home. Also playing on the 1 year anniversary of Majerus' death. Maybe a little more to play for? Indiana St worries me a bit actually but we shouldn't lose.

Vandy's roster looks pretty descent. Looks like they'll start Juniors and Seniors and they have a big stud freshman that picked them over Duke. Will be a tough game.

Everything I have read about Vandy indicates they are having some problems - http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/9519678/kedren-johnson-vanderbilt-commodores-suspended-season-kevin-bright-signs-german-team

That being said, I don't expect it to be an easy game. If it were at the Fetz I think we would dismantle them, but on the road in that quirky gym won't be easy.

Stallings is starting to get on the hot seat. Could be a case of a guy staying at one place too long.

Had not seen if anyone posted this: http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/88010/nonconference-schedule-analysis-a10

On a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being highest/toughest, the ranking of the current OOC schedules for 2013-14:

Richmond ------ 8

St. Joe's -------- 8

VCU ------------- 8

Saint Louis ---- 7

Dayton --------- 7

Mason ---------- 7

GeeDub -------- 7

Umass ---------- 6

Rhodey --------- 6

Fordham ------- 6

Duquesne ----- 4

La Salle -------- 4

Bonaventure --- 4

Okay read. Our toughest game is Wichita followed by Wisconsin in Cancun. Plus they offer warnign signlas on playing Indiana State. Bottom line: "all we can handle before conference play."

Good nonconference schedule. I did a quick scan of some of our opponents. Challenging, but every game is certainly winnable. We have to win every nonconference home game. I would love to see us give Wichita State the New Mexico treatment at the Fetz. We will be up for that one. Indiana State could be tricky if we are not ready to play. Our toughest game appears to be Wisconsin. They lost quite a bit from last year, but are supposed to have a pretty good recruiting class. Bo Ryan's teams are always tough, but this is where our experience could really give us an edge playing them early in the season. I give us a slight edge, but even if we lose, I figure we would have to win the consolation game. At worst 1-1 in Mexico... 0-2 would be a disaster and we couldn't have any more slip ups in nonconference.

As I mentioned previously, Vandy seems to be in a bit of miss. Three of their freshmen left from last year's team... five of their six top scorers are gone. Gotta get that road win. Now Valpo, I don't know much about them. Anybody on the board know anything about them? ;) Screw that, just kidding. They are destination for other program's rejects. Gotta win that one. Getting out of the nonconference schedule with one loss certainly won't be easy, but is possible.

I saw Jake Odum as a freshman in Cleveland during the NCAA's second round that year. Believe they lost to Syracuse. He reminded me a lot of H Waldman, arguably my favorite Billiken of all time. Except, as a freshman, he didn't seem to have the confidence in his own shot as H had his two years with us. But he was a tremendous distributor.

I haven't seen him in action since but as folks like to point out to me, kids improve every year they are in the program. So he will be tough. He is oneof those guys you jsut hate -- until he's on your team. He's from Terre Haute which adds "local" to his Hoosier bloodline, and he's 6'4" tall. He was first team all MVC last year. And he's not only a senior, but a red-shirt senior. He averaged 14/5/5 last year in ppg/apg/rpg which lead the team in all except rpg. But the guy who beat him in that area didn't do so by much (5.1 to 4.5).

I don't think he'll beat us with athletic talent and Jett will likely get him on the defensive end but he is a very good college guard and should not be underestimated.

I saw Jake Odum as a freshman in Cleveland during the NCAA's second round that year. Believe they lost to Syracuse. He reminded me a lot of H Waldman, arguably my favorite Billiken of all time. Except, as a freshman, he didn't seem to have the confidence in his own shot as H had his two years with us. But he was a tremendous distributor.

I haven't seen him in action since but as folks like to point out to me, kids improve every year they are in the program. So he will be tough. He is oneof those guys you jsut hate -- until he's on your team. He's from Terre Haute which adds "local" to his Hoosier bloodline, and he's 6'4" tall. He was first team all MVC last year. And he's not only a senior, but a red-shirt senior. He averaged 14/5/5 last year in ppg/apg/rpg which lead the team in all except rpg. But the guy who beat him in that area didn't do so by much (5.1 to 4.5).

I don't think he'll beat us with athletic talent and Jett will likely get him on the defensive end but he is a very good college guard and should not be underestimated.

This is what I think some people don't get. You can be among the best college players and not be a real NBA prospect. They are different games.

Odum didn't just run up his numbers against bad competition and then do nothing against good teams. In games they played against NCAA tournament teams he averaged 12.8., 4.5, and 4.7. The kid can play.