Career 3 point shooting percentage leader?

BLIKNS

Looking at career leaders was a little surprised to see who leads SLu for career % at .457, can you name him, without looking?

Roland Gray is correct, I was surprised after all these years.

RG turned out to be one of the best all time Billikens after coming in as a lightly-recruited local player who was thought of more as a sidekick to Monroe than a highly desirable recruit. He also seemed to be a very pleasant individual, but I never hear anything about his whereabouts. Anyone know where he is and what he is doing?

I'm fascinated that best 3pt shooter in Billikens history played without a 3 point line for the bulk of his basketball development.

Roland played his first year without a 3 point line. He never took that many. If he was playing today, hitting 50% from 3 he'd be shooting 7 or 8 a game instead of the 2 or 3 he took his sr year.

Many of the guys were adept at long range shooting prior to the 3 point line because defenses packed it in. You had no choice but to shoot from deep. Harry Rogers might have scored 2500 points if there had been a 3 point line in place.

Easy to live and die by that 3 if you do not have at least 2-3 solid players that can mix it up inside to get the physical work done. I am seeing too many kids solely dependent on shooting the rock but cannot break their man down to save their life. Teams built around that 3 ball die very early in the Tournament as we can all attest to. Need 2 points, why not jack up another 3!?! Can't shoot 50% everyday.

Roland played his first year without a 3 point line. He never took that many. If he was playing today, hitting 50% from 3 he'd be shooting 7 or 8 a game instead of the 2 or 3 he took his sr year.

Many of the guys were adept at long range shooting prior to the 3 point line because defenses packed it in. You had no choice but to shoot from deep. Harry Rogers might have scored 2500 points if there had been a 3 point line in place.

Agree on Rogers. He had a nice touch from the outside. So did Jimmy Irving on his pull up jumpers. But there was a kid I saw from Holy Cross when I was just a young'un by the name of Tom "The Shot" Foley. Skinny as a rail, but he would be the all time NCAA scoring leader if they had the 3 back then. He was bombing 'em from way out there and hitting a lot of them.

I think the re-development of the game is lacking the all-around player. In the heyday of the Beast, it became all about pounding it inside and wrestlemania ganging in the paint. Finesse seemed to be a lost art. To counter that packed-in mentality, comes the advent of the three point line. Bombers are developed to open up the inside for the monster men. What team hasn't had a limited talent to place out on the perimeter to play this role? Diener. Cobbin. Shawn Haughn. Any kid with a Serbian surname. Euro-bigs that shoot first, bang never. Chris Collins. Brad Relford. Rotnei Clarke. Kellen Dunham. Cripes, if Butler had had a true point this year, Clarke and Dunham would have been even bigger. But there seems to be the lack of guys developing an all-around game.

Posterizing dunks get you on SportsCenter. The college game and the high school game immitate the pro game. The pro game-- no matter the sport -- is specialized now more than ever before. The mid-range game seems gone. Either dunk it ( a sure thing) or take a trey (extra one point reward).

I think the re-development of the game is lacking the all-around player. In the heyday of the Beast, it became all about pounding it inside and wrestlemania ganging in the paint. Finesse seemed to be a lost art. To counter that packed-in mentality, comes the advent of the three point line. Bombers are developed to open up the inside for the monster men. What team hasn't had a limited talent to place out on the perimeter to play this role? Diener. Cobbin. Shawn Haughn. Any kid with a Serbian surname. Euro-bigs that shoot first, bang never. Chris Collins. Brad Relford. Rotnei Clarke. Kellen Dunham. Cripes, if Butler had had a true point this year, Clarke and Dunham would have been even bigger. But there seems to be the lack of guys developing an all-around game.

Posterizing dunks get you on SportsCenter. The college game and the high school game immitate the pro game. The pro game-- no matter the sport -- is specialized now more than ever before. The mid-range game seems gone. Either dunk it ( a sure thing) or take a trey (extra one point reward).

I think the mid-range game has been in decline because some coaches -- Rick Pitino, in particular -- disdain it (for the reasons already laid out). Mid-range jumpshots have the lowest payoff/risk potential. The greatest advantage is in the lane, where the shot is closer and the rebounds shorter and where the possibility of getting to the free-throw line is greater. The next advantage level is beyond the three-point arc, where made shots produce an extra point. Shots from 12-19 feet are lowest on the ladder.

I think the mid-range game has been in decline because some coaches -- Rick Pitino, in particular -- disdain it (for the reasons already laid out). Mid-range jumpshots have the lowest payoff/risk potential. The greatest advantage is in the lane, where the shot is closer and the rebounds shorter and where the possibility of getting to the free-throw line is greater. The next advantage level is beyond the three-point arc, where made shots produce an extra point. Shots from 12-19 feet are lowest on the ladder.

Oh, yeah: it's nice to have a player who can hit turn-arounds and fadeaways or off of the dribble, but the game hasn't really been formulated to produce them since the days which developed Kobe Bryant. Wasn't Reggie (another) Bryant the latest such player for the Billikens?

Oh, yeah: it's nice to have a player who can hit turn-arounds and fadeaways or off of the dribble, but the game hasn't really been formulated to produce them since the days which developed Kobe Bryant. Wasn't Reggie (another) Bryant the latest such player for the Billikens?

Bryant might have been good hitting shots off the dribble, but the best I can remember at this was Clags. It stood out even more since he played with Scott H who could not hit a shot off the dribble to save his soul-that's not intended to be a cut at SH, who had many other talents,which made him a really good Billiken. It's just that hitting off the dribble, while moving sideways was not his thing.

I havent seen a billiken since claggett with the quick high release he had. I can still see the turnaround at the old arena at the head of the key that led to the upset of cincy and cemented to the billiken fandom we had one hell of a team that year.

Besides coaches getting into metrics with shot selection I think this is mostly a product of the way we teach basketball. Kids are lined up nowadays and everybody is taught to play one way. Everyone is pigeonholed into playing one way. There are few players who break the mold which can alter how a game is played and coached.

Take for instance Donnie Dobbs? A supreme talent 20 years ago. In today's game does he get a D-1 scholarship? I say no. He'd be forced to play guard and would have played at best low level college ball.

I think you have a lot of guys being developed with all around skills. Big men with guard skills for instance, combo guards & swingmen. Players who can do several things well but nothing great. There is no mid range game because we have eliminated basically the type of player who could take advantage of it ie like a smaller, quicker, power forward or the bigger sgs and sfs even pgs who could post up on the elbow. No guards play the pivot ever when 40 years ago that was a staple of the game. In the league the mid range shot is reserved for centers, who typically are players you least want to be taking this shot. It seems we are losing more and more the nuances of the game due to standardized coaching and instruction.