SLU Basketball Scholarship Grid

JMM28

I agree with Gister......Great chart but i think AY is off on the chart above because he will have to sit out this coming year.

AY does have to sit out this coming year, but he still counts against the scholarship total. He will be a junior and have 2 years of eligibility remaining after sitting out next year.

Whether he should be called a Soph this year or a Junior who is redshirting is up for debate, but it doesn't really matter. The chart is accurate.

Bobby, you are scared because deep inside you lack faith in the coaching staff's ability to select good players and bring them to a pitch of efficiency. I think we will be fine, and anyway we still have one scholarship for 2013-14 to use in case someone good crosses our path. I may be incorrect, but I do trust Jim Crews and the staff to do what they need to do for the program.

Bobby, you are scared because deep inside you lack faith in the coaching staff's ability to select good players and bring them to a pitch of efficiency. I think we will be fine, and anyway we still have one scholarship for 2013-14 to use in case someone good crosses our path. I may be incorrect, but I do trust Jim Crews and the staff to do what they need to do for the program.

On the contrary, I've been very supportive on this board and in my heart about Crews ability to get it done. What worries me for 14-15 is the scoring options and the amount of "gelling" those guys will have with each other. Recruiting is one piece of the pie I feel good about. The piece of the pie that is being swarmed with flies right now is losing McCall, Evans, Loe, Jett after this coming season. Huge shoes to fill.

On the contrary, I've been very supportive on this board and in my heart about Crews ability to get it done. What worries me for 14-15 is the scoring options and the amount of "gelling" those guys will have with each other. Recruiting is one piece of the pie I feel good about. The piece of the pie that is being swarmed with flies right now is losing McCall, Evans, Loe, Jett after this coming season. Huge shoes to fill.

The 14-15 season has always been a huge question mark. That's the downside of when the most successful senior class in modern day school history graduates (they pretty much already are the most successful but certainly will be when we return to the dance again this year).

That being said, 4 months ago an honest Billiken fan had to be concerned about the prospect of going .500 or worse in 14-15 given the talent that we had in the pipeline. Given this spring's class and the start to 2014 recruiting I'm definitely more confident and believe NIT is a realistic goal. Of course none of us want the NIT but hopefully we haven't forgotten how hard it is to make the NCAA tourney when you aren't in a power conference.

I'd like to see another pg, but I don't think 14-15 is really going to be pretty good in the back court. Our depth will have to come from frosh but all 3 starting positions could be filled with players who have practiced together for a year in Ash, McBroom, and Crawford. If any one of the 3 isn't good enough we'll need a frosh to start whether it be Roby or someone still to be named. There will also be the possibility and it has been said that Reggie could play the 3 or maybe at least some at the 3.

I think we'll be fine our 1st 6 or 7 players could all have at least 1 year of experience and playing together

The 14-15 season has always been a huge question mark. That's the downside of when the most successful senior class in modern day school history graduates (they pretty much already are the most successful but certainly will be when we return to the dance again this year).

That being said, 4 months ago an honest Billiken fan had to be concerned about the prospect of going .500 or worse in 14-15 given the talent that we had in the pipeline. Given this spring's class and the start to 2014 recruiting I'm definitely more confident and believe NIT is a realistic goal. Of course none of us want the NIT but hopefully we haven't forgotten how hard it is to make the NCAA tourney when you aren't in a power conference.

I don't know why the NCAA tourney isn't a realistic goal

There are a lot of unknowns heading into 2014-15 because we haven't seen much of that roster play yet and four spots aren't even filled yet. That season will be a great test to see if we can truly build a program or if our recent success was just the product of our HOF coach. I like what Crews has done and feel he can build on the success. IMO, a big key will be if McBroom and Yacoubou can form a strong starting backcourt. That will take pressure off of a guy like Roby and any other freshmen additions. Second key question, will Crawford, RA and TL be ready to step up as sophomores and be key contributors the way JJ, MM and DE did. If those two elements come together, then I think we have the nucleus of a pretty strong team and that doesn't even factor in the four yet to be named additions... there could be an impact juco in that group.

I don't know why the NCAA tourney isn't a realistic goal

Maybe expectation is the better term. Either way, the only players on the 2014-15 team that have ever played a minute for SLU are Grandy Glaze and John Manning. That has to be concerning.

Look at the glass as half full. The recruits we're currently pursuing to fill those spots should tell themselves "lots of minutes there." We need a pg, sf, a 2, and another big. I'd see the starting 5 as being McBroom, Ash, Crawford, Reggie, and Manning. But never having seen anyone except JM play, that's a lot of speculation. It's also a concern we have no true PG in there. If there is a mystery recruit still lurking out there for '13 I hope he's a PG. A kid like Fernandez from Temple.

What's critical this season is that RA, TL, and JM earn some meaningful minutes and McBroom gets time at PG. If we're still in the A10, then we have a shot at the dance. The A10 can still be a 3 bid league depending upon how well they schedule OOC games.

Maybe expectation is the better term. Either way, the only players on the 2014-15 team that have ever played a minute for SLU are Grandy Glaze and John Manning. That has to be concerning.

As usual a voice of reason.

What you all are dreading is what all big programs go through. More success means more anxiety when we have to replace players. In years past, having five new guys replace five departing guys was a hopeful proposition. Now, since the five guys that are being replaced have been so successful, we worrying about whether the five new guys can do it. That, gentleman, is a sign of progress, whether we fret about it or not.

Our 1st tourney with this group was when McCall, Jett, Loe, Evans, etc... were sophs.

It's not concerning to me because I understand that to continue to have success this incoming class and the next class has to be good. If they aren't it wouldn't matter if we had 2 or 3 other players on this years roster that would still be there. I guess you have to believe in the staff and the scouting reports of the incoming players. In addition it doesn't matter how many of the '14 - '15 roster have experience today. How many will have experience at the beginning of that year.

JM - 3

GG - 3

AM - 2 ( 1 with toledo plus 1 with us) plus a free practice year

AY - 2 both with Nova but a full year of practice with us

MC - 1

RA - 1

TL - 1

The way I see it, I expect that to be a damn good 7. 4 bigs with experience and 3 guards with experience. Any frosh to break into the top 7 is a bonus.

In addition the level of this incoming class (by ratings and who else was recruiting them) is better than the DE, MM, JJ, RL class and we won a game in the tourney when they were all sophs.

Do not mean to offend anyone but I feel quite sure that there will be a fair amount of play for a number of the players who are new or have not played much in the past during the 2013-2014 season. To do otherwise might prove suicidal to Jim Crews and I do not see him as someone courting this kind of problem. I think Crews has been working close to miracles, first by keeping the team together and focused last season after Rick Majerus's death, then by the success at recruiting. Who is to think he cannot continue this movement forward and field a fully fleshed team next year that gives experience to those new players that deserve it and gets some of the people who did not play much last season, for whatever reason, a chance to play more. This appears to me (and I must say I do not know the first word about coaching a team) the only reasonable way to go into the 2014-2015 season.

In the past if we had 1 recruit most years that a major program even sniffed we were all talking about them like they were something special.

This year we have 4 new players and 3 of the 4 had at least one other top 25ish school looking at them or even having offered them. One of the following years recruits had offers from half the SEC plus Memphis.

We're bringing in better players, if the level of coaching and the committment to improve from the players remains equal we'll be a better team than we have been the last 2 years.

There will be minutes for at least 1 of RA and TL and quite possibly both

There will be minutes for AM and maybe some for MC

Good players will find a way to earn minutes and I believe we have good players coming in. How do we know that by mid season MC isn't going to be better than JB? Is it possible that RA will completely replace GG by mid season?