Scheduling Thoughts

Actually Yale was 198 in RPI last year according to RPIForecast.com. Not great, but certainly not an RPI killer like some of the 300+ RPI school we have played in the past. They return 4 of 5 starters as well so there shouldn't be a huge drop off.

Further everyone has actually heard of Yale (even if it is for academics rather than athletics), so I would expect better attendance than a game against North Texas or Tennessee Martin.

Yale had a better RPI than three A-10 teams last year - Rhode Island, Duquesne and Fordham. Also, better than last year's opponent Loyola.

It doesn't matter what Yale's RPI was; what was their record? It's time for folks to stop looking at what a team's RPI ranking is and consider that it's the record which will have the impact on their team's RPI.

Yale was 12-17 last year. Ick! I sure hope the starter they're losing wasn't their best player.

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Updated with Yale and Vandy dates.

2013-2014 Schedule:

11/9 vs. SEMO - 216

11/21 vs. Oral Roberts - 151 (Cancun Challenge, home sites)

11/23 vs. Bowling Green - 274 (Cancun Challenge, home sites)

11/26 @ Wisconsin - 32 (Cancun Challenge, Cancun, Mexico)

11/27 @ West Virginia - 146 or Old Dominion - 318 (Cancun Challenge, Cancun, Mexico)

12/1 vs. Wichita State - 37

12/18 vs. Indiana State - 74

12/30 @ Vanderbilt - 120

1/4 vs. Yale - 198

Dates TBD:

@ Valpo - 58

@ SIUC - 192

@ SIUE - 304

2+ more buy games at home

A10 home games: Fordham, GW, Richmond, St. Bonnie, Dayton, Duquesne, George Mason, and VCU

A10 road games: LaSalle, St. Joe's, UMass, Rhode Island, Dayton, Duquesne, George Mason, and VCU

It doesn't matter what Yale's RPI was; what was their record? It's time for folks to stop looking at what a team's RPI ranking is and consider that it's the record which will have the impact on their team's RPI.

Yale was 12-17 last year. Ick! I sure hope the starter they're losing wasn't their best player.

12-17 really isn't that bad of a record (for a buy game opponent).

Some of SLU opponents last year for reference:

North Texas: 11-19

Tennessee Martin: 7-21

Eastern Illinois: 11-20

Loyola Marymount: 10-22

SIUE: 7-18

Duquesne: 8-22

Fordham: 7-24

Rhode Island: 8-21

NH is right on the money - Yale loves this game because they get to bring 2 players home. I love when buy games can be mutually beneficial (which is why I've always been an advocate of regional buy games).

Javier Duren will be a junior; he was a senior at Oakville when Austin Gillmann was a freshman. Yale had offerred Gillmann, too. Duren played in all 31 games last season, averaging 22 minutes and 7.7 points as a sophomore. He started 21 games and should be a starter this season.

Will Childs-Klein will also be a junior; he's a 6-11 center from Ladue. He appeared in 11 games last season, only playing about 3 MPG.

Kind of odd that it would be scheduled that way. Do you think it being on a Monday has to do with TV?

Strong possibility. Hopefully it's a later game so I can take off less time that afternoon from work before driving down to Nashville.

The good news is that because it's a Monday night and over Christmas break, tickets should be easy to get.

Strong possibility. Hopefully it's a later game so I can take off less time that afternoon from work before driving down to Nashville.

The good news is that because it's a Monday night and over Christmas break, tickets should be easy to get.

Doubt many students would be there regardless

Not bad for a buy game. Would much rather play Yale than a SWAC or MEAC team.

Vandy students don't attend well? I honestly don't know either way, just curious.

I've only been going there one year and it was obviously a down year but in general the student body was pretty apathetic towards basketball

I've only been going there one year and it was obviously a down year but in general the student body was pretty apathetic towards basketball

eh my friends go there/or just graduated and they said like two years ago it was pretty crazy around campus.

but ones a cheerleader so she's just probably bias

Vanderbilt students are by their nature pretty bandwagon-y. And by January of next year I don't think there will be enough time for people to jump on that bandwagon.

I am sure Yale will have Alumni events. Perhaps we can double that by inviting Harvard Alums the Fetz to see Yale lose!!!

A few years ago, Princeton played Harvard for the Ivy Championship tiebreaker. The game - for neutrality I think - was play at Yale. I went, and one of the most hilarious things was that the student sections joined in unison to chant "Yale Sucks"

A few years ago, Princeton played Harvard for the Ivy Championship tiebreaker. The game - for neutrality I think - was play at Yale. I went, and one of the most hilarious things was that the student sections joined in unison to chant "Yale Sucks"

HAHAHAHA

eabf76d0.gif

Gotta give the Yalies credit for this, however:

Updated with Yale and Vandy dates.

2013-2014 Schedule:

11/9 vs. SEMO - 216

11/27 @ West Virginia - 146 or Old Dominion - 318 (Cancun Challenge, Cancun, Mexico)

12/30 @ Vanderbilt - 120

1/4 vs. Yale - 198

Dates TBD:

@ Valpo - 58

@ SIUC - 192

@ SIUE - 304

2+ more buy games at home

I hope the Valpo game is late enough on the schedule that Keith Carter can play. I'd love to see Jordair and Mike work him over like they were in practices. Send him out with his tail between his legs again.

I hope the Valpo game is late enough on the schedule that Keith Carter can play. I'd love to see Jordair and Mike work him over like they were in practices. Send him out with his tail between his legs again.

Jett and McCall on Carter will be like Jordan and Pippen on Kukoc. Can't wait to see that.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone heard any new scheduling updates?

We're at a 28-game schedule as it stands, with 14 home games. We have 8 and 8 for the conference, like last year. Last season, we had 1 exhibition and 11 other non-conference home games (2 of which were part of a tournament). So that was 20 home games, and normally I think I've counted 18. The whole season was 30 games (not including the exhibition) before the A10 Tournament.

To get to 18 home games, I'm guessing we're going to see 2 exhibitions and 2 buy games. That also gets us back to 30 regular season games before the A10 Tournament. I would love to see a "name" in one of those 2 remaining games, but I'm not guessing that will happen.

2013-2014 Schedule:

11/9 vs. SEMO - 216

12/30 @ Vanderbilt - 120

1/4 vs. Yale - 198

Dates TBD:

@ Valpo - 58

@ SIUC - 192

@ SIUE - 304

2 home buy games

2 exhibitions

A10 home games: Fordham, GW, Richmond, St. Bonnie, Dayton, Duquesne, George Mason, and VCU

A10 road games: LaSalle, St. Joe's, UMass, Rhode Island, Dayton, Duquesne, George Mason, and VCU