Prospective Head Coaches

Howland was done in at UCLA by the fact that he recruited some talented players with bad attitudes who behaved badly as well. It sounds like when he was at Pitt, he focused on getting the right players that fit his system, which led to success. In his first 5 years at UCLA, he did the same, only the players he was getting were very talented. If a young player acted immature, there were upperclassmen who could keep them in line. In the last few years, it's been a little more of a mix, with some players with good attitudes and others that were more of a problem.

I think because of the pressure to win big at UCLA, Howland felt compelled to go after these 5 star recruits who would be one and done players. Some fit in well (Kevin Love and Jrue Holliday), while others didn't work out (Shabazz Muhammad). At SLU, he could do more of what he did to build up Pitt's program.

One other thing about Howland is that he and Majerus were friends. Howland considered Majerus to be a mentor, and when he was at Northern Arizona, Howland and Jamie Dixon sought out Majerus for advice on how to improve that program. He would have a common bond with the Majerus players, and could probably do things in a way that wasn't a slight to the way Majerus built things at SLU.

Great post. Agree totally that his potential tenure at SLU would resemble that of Pitt than UCLA.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There were unflattering pieces about Majerus. Most of them were true and some of the things brought up were very similar to those brought up about Howland. We are hiring a basketball coach and not putting someone up for sainthood.

Getting him out of UCLA and away from the environment that surrounds that program will fix a lot of the problems that developed around Howland over his final years there.

Howland has nearly 400 wins and is 55 years old (not too bad). Three consecutive final fours on his resume.

But how many national championships does he have? We are talking about SLU where coaches are judged on titles and thats it

There were unflattering pieces about Majerus. Most of them were true and some of the thing brought up were very similar to those brought up about Howland. We are hiring a basketball coach and not putting someone up for sainthood.

Getting him out of UCLA and away from the environment that surrounds that program will fix a lot of the problems that developed around Howland over his final years there.

+1

Howland's the man! Make it happen!!!

This simply isn't true. The stories are not even close to similar. If you're fine with Howland than so be it but lets not pretend that the rumors about him are akin to the Majerus stories. They just aren't.

I guess my priorities for the university are different and hope for a person who we can be proud of.

Who knows if Howland would have any interest either way but I for one wouldn't take him. Ugly business going on up there at UCLA if you believe the whispers.

There were unflattering pieces about Majerus. Most of them were true and some of the things brought up were very similar to those brought up about Howland. We are hiring a basketball coach and not putting someone up for sainthood.

Howland or anybody of note will not come here unless we get into the new Big East.

Many of you just do not realize that the Majerus era is about over, and that he was the reason for all of this... now, if we can upgrade conferences significantly, we will have a chance to continute at this level or higher. If not....

Just fyi, here are the UCLA head coach propsects according to ESPN:

Coaches Potentially on UCLA's list

• Brad Stevens, Butler
  • Shaka Smart, VCU
  • Mark Few, Gonzaga
  • Rick Pitino, Louisville
  • Billy Donovan, Florida
  • Randy Bennett, Saint Mary's
  • Lorenzo Romar, Washington
  • Tad Boyle, Colorado
  • Jay Wright, Villanova
  • Mick Cronin, Cincinnati
  • Kerry Keating, Santa Clara
  • Leon Rice, Boise State

Howland or anybody of note will not come here unless we get into the new Big East.

Many of you just do not realize that the Majerus era is about over, and that he was the reason for all of this... now, if we can upgrade conferences significantly, we will have a chance to continute at this level or higher. If not....

• Brad Stevens, Butler
  • Shaka Smart, VCU
  • Mark Few, Gonzaga
  • Billy Donovan, Florida
  • Tad Boyle, Colorado
  • Jay Wright, Villanova
  • Leon Rice, Boise State

If we get a Howland level coach, we will be locked in the NBE. We go with Crews to a short 2-3 year deal, we are screwed. NBE will look at us as not serious. Just my take.

+1

Howland's the man! Make it happen!!!

Forget Howland. You don't think major BCS schools realize how difficult it is to coach at UCLA and willing to cut him slack? UCLA fans are almost as bad as Kentucky fans. Some old timers might remember what they did to Gene Bartow, who was an excellent coach. These UCLA fans (including Bill Walton) have this delusion that Wooden going to rise from the dead and coach again.

Two things that makes this difficult for SLU. A major BCS school can simply out bid us. The other is St Louis, and I mean the city. Howland is already 55 and like most guys that reach that age you start thinking about the end game if you can afford it. Howland was already provided with a 3.2 mil golden parachute, so it would not surprise me if he takes less with a less pressure cooker environment (UCLA is one of the pressure cooker places). I suspect he finds a head coaching job where he can get in 12 months a year of golf.

Forget Howland. You don't think major BCS schools realize how difficult it is to coach at UCLA and willing to cut him slack? UCLA fans are almost as bad as Kentucky fans. Some old timers might remember what they did to Gene Bartow, who was an excellent coach. These UCLA fans (including Bill Walton) have this delusion that Wooden going to rise dead and coach again.

Two things that makes this difficult for SLU. A major BCS school can simply out bid us. The other is St Louis, and I mean the city. Howland is already 55 and like most guys that reach that age you start thinking about the end game if you can afford it. Howland was already provided with a 3.2 mil golden parachute, so it would not surprise me if he takes less with a less pressure cooker environment (UCLA is one of the pressure cooker places). I suspect he finds a head coaching job where he can get in 12 months a year of golf.

Maybe, maybe not. SLU is far less of a pressure cooker then UCLA; heck I think even dealing with Biondi is easier then dealing with the powers of California's University system and alum.

All I know is, we better be talking to him or his agent.

Forget Howland. You don't think major BCS schools realize how difficult it is to coach at UCLA and willing to cut him slack? UCLA fans are almost as bad as Kentucky fans. Some old timers might remember what they did to Gene Bartow, who was an excellent coach. These UCLA fans (including Bill Walton) have this delusion that Wooden going to rise from the dead and coach again.

Gene Bartow and Ray Perkins - the weight of the gotdamn world on their shoulders trying to carry on the Wooden and Bear Bryant torch... Maybe you could say the same with Bill Guthridge at UNC after Deano left...

Gene Bartow and Ray Perkins - the weight of the gotdamn world on their shoulders trying to carry on the Wooden and Bear Bryant torch... Maybe you could say the same with Bill Guthridge at UNC after Deano left...

At least Guthridge seemed to have good will on his side.

• Brad Stevens, Butler
  • Shaka Smart, VCU
  • Mark Few, Gonzaga
  • Billy Donovan, Florida
  • Tad Boyle, Colorado
  • Jay Wright, Villanova
  • Leon Rice, Boise State
Wait a second!! I know or or have heard of all these coaches!! No "up and coming" assistant coaches on UCLA's list? Why not mention of Bryce Drew for UCLA?

Usually on the school will continue to pay the difference in the new salary and the amount owed. So if we hired Howland and paid him $2mil he would get $1.4 from UCLA still. Nice for him and nice for the school if someone else picks up part of that pay.

I think people can learn from their mistakes. UCLA is a pressure cooker where you can't just get to the Final 4. I think Howland could win at SLU he is known for half court offense and tough man d.

If Coach Crews is not retained he's probably the top splash hire name available. Bobby Knight is old and he is really looking it lately. Think about that Applebee's commercial that's as good as he looks with make-up and lighting dude is looking bad.

Maybe, maybe not. SLU is far less of a pressure cooker then UCLA; heck I think even dealing with Biondi is easier then dealing with the powers of California's University system and alum.

All I know is, we better be talking to him or his agent.

Remember the Majerus quote on recruiting at UCLA? Its easy. He won't have that at SLU.

I know going to take heat on this one but I think he could be a viable candidate.

Dr John Giannini

If you can recruit and win at that dump, that says a lot. May should get on him right after he's eliminated from the tourney.

Also, A10 has precedence on stealing coaches, URI took Baron from St Bona.

Roy, you mentioned Horace Broadnax of Savannah State. I don't know if you said that in jest or you meant it, but that's not a bad suggestion. He's put together a nice program out of nothing down here. I like him and he will not be very long at Savannah. He can be considered the next generation Shaka Smart. That would be a bold out of the box selection.

Remember the Majerus quote on recruiting at UCLA? Its easy. He won't have that at SLU.

I know going to take heat on this one but I think he could be a viable candidate.

Dr John Giannini

If you can recruit and win at that dump, that says a lot. May should get on him right after he's eliminated from the tourney.

Also, A10 has precedence on stealing coaches, URI took Baron from St Bona.

Roy, you mentioned Horace Broadnax of Savannah State. I don't know if you said that in jest or you meant it, but that's not a bad suggestion. He's put together a nice program out of nothing down here. I like him and he will not be very long at Savannah. He can be considered the next generation Shaka Smart. That would be a bold out of the box selection.

I was about to post the same thing about Dr. G. He was getting some mentions for Northwestern. But he's been there since 05' and hasn't really torn it up until this year.

Usually on the school will continue to pay the difference in the new salary and the amount owed. So if we hired Howland and paid him $2mil he would get $1.4 from UCLA still. Nice for him and nice for the school if someone else picks up part of that pay.

I think people can learn from their mistakes. UCLA is a pressure cooker where you can't just get to the Final 4. I think Howland could win at SLU he is known for half court offense and tough man d.

If Coach Crews is not retained he's probably the top splash hire name available. Bobby Knight is old and he is really looking it lately. Think about that Applebee's commercial that's as good as he looks with make-up and lighting dude is looking bad.

ABomb - from things I have seen, it looks like they bought out his contract for that total 3.4 million or whatever it was. So it would seem that his days of getting a check from UCLA will end with that buyout, regardless of where he works next year.

Do we really have the resources to pay a coach $2 million a year?

I hear we might be in the Big East. It's 50/50. And we may get 4 million per year, or we might get 2 million per year.

Jeff Boals from Ohio State?

James Whitford from Arizona?

Mike Dunlap from St. John's?

Given the Strauss article, it sounds like there's a good chance it'll be Crews. Nevertheless, of this list, if we're looking at assistants, I like Boals and Whitford, especially Whitford. Dunlap is now the head coach of the Charlotte Bobcats of the NBA, but I don't think they're doing well, so who knows how long he'll be there.

I'd be all in on Howland. The guy has been a winner at every stop, and won big at a couple places. HIs style would play well in the new big east, or the A10, or the MVC.

I'd also like to bring some top assistant types in for interviews. it would not hurt to see how other coaches do things. We might learn a thing or two.