C7 News and Rumors

SLUDrew

What makes you think we are still not being considered for 2014? This has always been reported since day one.

If not we will do what Memphis did in CUSA, what Butler did in the Horizon, what the Zags do in the WCC, what X did when they were left in the MCC back in 90, just win.

• Replies 843
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No you said you knew the details of the contract. This is an article filled with "about" "could" "if" and "according to reports". I'm sure fox said "how's about 500 sound? Sign here. Let us know if you add anymore teams and we may throw in some more cash"

Welp, at least they didn't take VCU from us?

This is going to be a killer for our program. IMO, it is back to being extremely mediocre after RMs players leave.

I thought our man, Larry B, would have had a little more pull with the Jesuits. Guess not. I know he was in Asia all week, so that may be telling.

On the plus side, at least season ticket prices wont go up? hah.

The A10 is severely weakened with the loss of Temple and X. Hopefully this is a 1 year problem and we jump the next year.

If not the new AD should try to work out a big east light concept. Think best of A10 plus private schools in bigger cities like Detroit, Loyola, Belmont, and maybe getting into the Drake/Bradley/Wichitas of the world.

The A10 is severely weakened with the loss of Temple and X. Hopefully this is a 1 year problem and we jump the next year.

If not the new AD should try to work out a big east light concept. Think best of A10 plus private schools in bigger cities like Detroit, Loyola, Belmont, and maybe getting into the Drake/Bradley/Wichitas of the world.

The thing with Drake/Bradley/ WSU is, if Dayton and us do go 2014 it would really leave them way out geographically.

I was using that as a "in case happens" scenario. So there'd be no big east scenario for us.

Welp, at least they didn't take VCU from us?

This is going to be a killer for our program. IMO, it is back to being extremely mediocre after RMs players leave.

I thought our man, Larry B, would have had a little more pull with the Jesuits. Guess not. I know he was in Asia all week, so that may be telling.

On the plus side, at least season ticket prices wont go up? hah.

If we don't make the cut in June and we finish the season with at least one win in the dance, then it's time to find an AD that can effectuatly negotiate in tight quarters

Obviously it's not ideal, but the new Big East is going to have to pay out Butler's and X's 4 million dollar price tag on exiting the league, maybe the additional 4 million for Saint Louis and then likely Dayton to join was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Also, from what I've been reading over at the C7 message board and on Xavier's board, the A-10 meeting that the portion of the meeting that Butler and Xavier left early for was to discuss increasing the exit fees for future members. Obviously we know which way you guys would vote if that was the case, and Dayton too (and maybe even Richmond), but I still think the majority of the other programs would probably vote to put that in place, which could make it very difficult for you guys to get out of the league depending on how high they decide to go.

Overall, I still think there is going to be a lot of very good reasons to bring you guys into the fold and I still feel like the consensus is that it will get done for 2014-2015, but you never know with these negotiations.

I'm also curious to see with this news coming out what kind of whistle that Butler gets today. Not because I don't think you guys wouldn't have a good chance of winning anyway, but I think it will be interesting at least for Butler fans to follow.

Good luck the rest of the season, and hopefully we'll get to continue playing you guys as a conference opponent in the very near future.

Obviously it's not ideal, but the new Big East is going to have to pay out Butler's and X's 4 million dollar price tag on exiting the league, maybe the additional 4 million for Saint Louis and then likely Dayton to join was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Also, from what I've been reading over at the C7 message board and on Xavier's board, the A-10 meeting that the portion of the meeting that Butler and Xavier left early for was to discuss increasing the exit fees for future members. Obviously we know which way you guys would vote if that was the case, and Dayton too (and maybe even Richmond), but I still think the majority of the other programs would probably vote to put that in place, which could make it very difficult for you guys to get out of the league depending on how high they decide to go.

Overall, I still think there is going to be a lot of very good reasons to bring you guys into the fold and I still feel like the consensus is that it will get done for 2014-2015, but you never know with these negotiations.

I'm also curious to see with this news coming out what kind of whistle that Butler gets today. Not because I don't think you guys wouldn't have a good chance of winning anyway, but I think it will be interesting at least for Butler fans to follow.

Good luck the rest of the season, and hopefully we'll get to continue playing you guys as a conference opponent in the very near future.

Raising the exit fee may speed up our entrance...Cup is half full here guys!

While I am more nervous than I was yesterday....remember, this is exactly how we thought things would go a week ago. Big East invites 3 teams to get to then, then adds two teams later. And all we have is newspaper reports of two of the first three teams (nothing from Xavier land yet). And even some of us are saying it is pretty ***** to make this announcement during the A-10 tournament, so maybe Xavier, SLU, and Dayton are a little better at keeping things close to vest.

What makes you think we are still not being considered for 2014? This has always been reported since day one.

If not we will do what Memphis did in CUSA, what Butler did in the Horizon, what the Zags do in the WCC, what X did when they were left in the MCC back in 90, just win.

Al, unlike others I have no idea what the Beast has planned for the future beyond adding these 3 teams. This has been kind of like the fog of war, you think you're shooting at the right guy, but you don't know. Now, if Fox's offer of $500m will not be increased if the Beast adds 2 more the following season, they won't do it. Face it, this is all about money to them and they're not going to make their slices of pie smaller to satisfy the fan bases of the outsiders. We'll have to find a source inside Fox to see if this is the case. If Fox were to increase the pot, then we'll have a shot.

It's going to be a year of frustration for Billiken, UD, and Richmond fans. The Beast will not address the issue of expansion at their press conference beyond saying, we're leaving those options open at this time. I'd be shocked if they said, UD and SLU or Richmond will come on board in 14-15. Ain't gonna happen. And so speculation will run rampant over the next 12 months or so. SLU's just got to keep going forward, however. We still play in a good conference, and I don't think the A-10 needs to expand beyond what's left over. That said, I wouldn't be surprised to see UMass suddenly bolt for the new America 12 or CUSA. Then we'll have to add somone or two.

Al, unlike others I have no idea what the Beast has planned for the future beyond adding these 3 teams. This has been kind of like the fog of war, you think you're shooting at the right guy, but you don't know. Now, if Fox's offer of $500m will not be increased if the Beast adds 2 more the following season, they won't do it. Face it, this is all about money to them and they're not going to make their slices of pie smaller to satisfy the fan bases of the outsiders. We'll have to find a source inside Fox to see if this is the case. If Fox were to increase the pot, then we'll have a shot.

It's going to be a year of frustration for Billiken, UD, and Richmond fans. The Beast will not address the issue of expansion at their press conference beyond saying, we're leaving those options open at this time. I'd be shocked if they said, UD and SLU or Richmond will come on board in 14-15. Ain't gonna happen. And so speculation will run rampant over the next 12 months or so. SLU's just got to keep going forward, however. We still play in a good conference, and I don't think the A-10 needs to expand beyond what's left over. That said, I wouldn't be surprised to see UMass suddenly bolt for the new America 12 or CUSA. Then we'll have to add somone or two.

Would the America12 try to get SLU?

No. They aren't a football school.

Gotcha. My mistake. I just think Biondi has been running his mouth way too long about SLU wanting and needing more east coast exposure. The a10 has been a good launching point but Larry needs to put his money where his mouth is and make this happen.

Would the America12 try to get SLU?

That wouldn't be in our best interests because of FB. Also, they're likely to be in for more shakeups. CT and UC would jump at an offer from the ACC or the B12. The A12's not seen the end of their dark days.

Actually, the best thing the A-10 could do at this point is to go to their remaining members, especially the weak sisters, and say stay strong and get stronger or get out, we're going to look for the strongest programs we can find. Otherwise it's not going to be any different than the CAA, the MEAC, etc. The A-10 still has a solid base of good programs; SLU, UD, VCU, Richmond, St. Joes, LaSalle, UMass (for now), and RI. And there's no reason Fordham, Duquense, GW, and St. Bs can't improve.

The one thing the Beast has going for it is that it comes from such a storied league. But other than GU, MU, and X the others don't have much going for them over the core A-10 schools. Not saying we'd turn down an offer to stay where we are, but that the A10 isn't exactly chopped liver so there's no good reason for us to jump anywhere in the immediate future.

72, the issue over 11 and 12 will be decided by June 30. Waiting longer than that will increase buyouts by 1 million.

Hope you're right and that Dr.C was at the Beast games as the face of the Billiken program. The fact Fr. B was in Japan last year for the NCAAs and in Asia for A-10 tourney week shows the level of his interest in the bb program.

I fully expect to be part of teams 11 and 12 that join the Big East for the 2014-15 season. If, by some unlikely turn, what has been reported time and time again doesn't come to fruition people, need to take a step back from the ledge when thinking about the A-10 in that situation.

Two years ago we were fine with the A-10. So what has changed since then? Temple left and VCU joined. That feel about even to me despite Temple's long history. Charlotte left; who cares. Butler came and left; no change there. Xavier left. That one hurts, no doubt about it but its just one team. Basically the new A-10 will be the same A-10 we were playing in except for Xavier.

Worse? Absolutely. But horrible? Hardly.

I fully expect to be part of teams 11 and 12 that join the Big East for the 2014-15 season. If, by some unlikely turn, what has been reported time and time again doesn't come to fruition people, need to take a step back from the ledge when thinking about the A-10 in that situation.

Two years ago we were fine with the A-10. So what has changed since then? Temple left and VCU joined. That feel about even to me despite Temple's long history. Charlotte left; who cares. Butler came and left; no change there. Xavier left. That one hurts, no doubt about it but its just one team. Basically the new A-10 will be the same A-10 we were playing in except for Xavier.

Worse? Absolutely. But horrible? Hardly.

You mean to tell me the program isn't completely dead if we are somehow left out? That's crazy talk.