C7 News and Rumors

SLUDrew

Correct, I'm proud to have played a big role in getting him banned. :D

I nominate you to lead the charge to do the same with grunky. Until then, the ignore feature will have to do.

• Replies 843
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I nominate you to lead the charge to do the same with grunky. Until then, the ignore feature will have to do.

Yeah, he is definitely a person of interest. He is on my watch list. There seems to be growing support for dumping gunky. I'm pretty certain he has been on the here before under a previous name. He seems to know what hot buttons to try to press.

I am hearing the Cardinals will pull out of FSN is the Billikens are not selected to the BE. Did anyone else hear that?

Somebody sold you a bill of goods on that one. Cardinals will do what's best for the Cardinals, and that's that.

Why would the Aresco league which is not great for basketball presently, allow Rutgers and Louisville to split basketball and football. There is no way in hell I'd settle for that.......where else are they going to go for football for one year?

If I had to guess for the same reason Notre Dame was allowed to leave the Beast early without having to pay an exit fee. Because they agreed to relinquish any claim to NCAA tournament credits and exit fees paid by the other schools that had already left.

I understand your skepticism since this has not been rumored anywhere but it’s the only reason that makes sense to me for starting at 10 and then going to 12 the next year. The C7 doesn’t appear to have left with a large amount of seed money to protect and the 2 million dollar difference in the A10 exit fees paid by teams in 2014 vs. 2013 is pocket change on a deal of this size. Besides if it was financial related why not just write it into the contract. This is the only plausible explanation I can think of that makes sense. If you can come up with something else I'd love to hear it.

Does Katz know what he is talking about or is he speculating? This is the first I have not heard that the debate for number 10 is between Dayton and Creighton.

2. The reason the new Big East might not start out with 12 schools in the fall instead of 10 is the lack of consensus among the seven schools forming the new league. The best-case scenario would be for the new Big East to start fresh with a dozen. But if there isn't agreement on the schools beyond 10, they will wait for another year. Butler and Xavier are the locks to get first invites, with a debate raging among different factions over Creighton and Dayton for No. 10. Saint Louis is the other school that could ultimately be in the group. Having a primarily basketball-driven conference isn't a new concept. It's called the Atlantic 10. Georgetown coach John Thompson III wasn't being sentimental about the end of the Big East on Thursday. He said the Big East isn't going anywhere and neither is the tournament. He's technically right.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/79430/3-point-shot-howland-over-altman

Does Katz know what he is talking about or is he speculating? This is the first I have not heard that the debate for number 10 is between Dayton and Creighton.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/79430/3-point-shot-howland-over-altman

I think all these reporters just steal from eachother. When the NY Post had that erroneous article suggesting Dayton could be #10 it confused the other reporters who are now reporting it as a possibility. Jersey guy said essentially the same thing as Katz in his latest article last night.

By the way, if it really is a done deal that there can only be 10 teams in 2013 and 12 teams in 2014, the order people are talking about does not make the most financial sense. If you really wanted to maximize revenues and reduce costs, Xavier and Dayton would be the last teams in. Here's why:

- Any team that leaves the A-10 now has to pay $2mm. If they leave in 2014 they only pay $1mm. Any team that leaves the MVC pays $50k.

- Any team that leaves the A-10 now forgoes their share of NCAA units. For the 2013-14 season that will be about $180k per unit owed ($240k per unit times 75% for the A-10 teams)

- Any team that makes the NCAA tourney in 2013-14 while playing in the Big East will keep all the future NCAA units in the Big East. Any team that makes the NCAA while playing in the A-10 or MVC will get none of those units.

Here is a rough estimate of past NCAA units:

Xavier: ~14

Butler: 0 (they left all their units in the Horizon) plus whatever they do this year.

SLU: 2 plus whatever we do this year

Dayton: 2

Creighton:2-3 plus whatever they do this year.

Here are my rough probabilities of a team making the NCAA tournament next season:

Xavier: Average (maybe higher if great recruiting class comes in, I don't really know)

Butler: Average (losing their 2 best players)

SLU: Pretty good (stregth of team is the junior class)

Dayton: Below average

Creighton: Pretty good if McDermott comes back. Below average if he doesn't

So when you throw everything together and throw out all the qualitative crap and just focus on the quantitative $ of the matter, the order should be:

1) Creighton: No buyout saves $1mm over the A-10 1 year out buyout. Only lose ~$500k from forgoing NCAA units.

2) Butler: No forgoing of past NCAA units plus decent chance of making tourney next year.

3) SLU: Minimal forgoing of past NCAA units plus good chance of making tourney next year.

4) Dayton: Minimal forgoing of past NCAA units, but not a good team next season

5) Xavier: Every year they hang in the A-10 is worth $2.5mm because of the 14 NCAA units. Leaving a year early they give all those up.

Now by all accounts, Xavier is a lock to be in the first 10 but I'm just pointing out that if money truely does run everything, they'd be part of the 2014 class.

Xavier's admin always does what's best for the program. They're looking long term and the Beast is the place to be. No doubt they'll be giving up substantial monies, but they're looking more towards future earnings. Also, if the fox contract pays them $3mm next year they're still up a half a mil.

What I still can't fathom is why UD and CU are running in front of us for that 10th spot. We've got TV market size over both schools combined. Good facilities. Good recent track record, a hell of a lot better than UDs for sure. And we're demonstrating we can fill the Fetz if we're playing good teams. The tone of Katz's blurb seems to suggest we're not even a lock if they go to 12. That's a little distressing to hear. What you're led to believe is there is no consensus among the C7 that SLU is a program worthy of their blessing. If he's correct, I'm guessing it's coming down to us or Richmond, since UD and CU are ranked ahead of us, and that just makes no sense. One would think Fox would step in and say, "hey there's no way you're ignoring the 21st largest market in the country when Fox is the primary network for that market's pro teams. Especially since CU, UD, and Richmond don't even have pro teams in their respective markets."