C7 News and Rumors

SLUDrew

The more I think about this, the more the NY Post article just doesn't make sense.

The only thing that makes sense about Dayton before Creighton or SLU is that its geographically tighter so you don't get the trip to Omaha without St. Louis. But that's it.

Creighton makes more sense because there is no meaningful MVC buyout. SLU and Dayton save $1mm by waiting a year.

SLU and Creighton make more sense than Dayton because we both have a reasonable chance of making the NCAA tourney next year and all NCAA credits will then belong to the Big East. Dayton has a pretty low chance of making the dance next year.

Either the article is just wrong or there's something major that we are missing.

• Replies 843
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If we lose out on this opportunity to save a lousy $1 million which we would make back in half a season of tv deal revenue, then heads need to roll.

If we lose out on this opportunity to save a lousy $1 million which we would make back in half a season of tv deal revenue, then heads need to roll.

We aren't going to lose out on any opportunity because 1) Every report suggest we are in when they go to 12, and nearly all reports suggest they are going to 12 and 2) it likely is not our choice to wait until 2014.

The more I think about this, the more the NY Post article just doesn't make sense.The only thing that makes sense about Dayton before Creighton or SLU is that its geographically tighter so you don't get the trip to Omaha without St. Louis. But that's it.Creighton makes more sense because there is no meaningful MVC buyout. SLU and Dayton save $1mm by waiting a year.SLU and Creighton make more sense than Dayton because we both have a reasonable chance of making the NCAA tourney next year and all NCAA credits will then belong to the Big East. Dayton has a pretty low chance of making the dance next year.Either the article is just wrong or there's something major that we are missing.

Maybe they went a weaker team in the first season so the win total will be a couple games higher for the top teams.

It may be that it is cheaper to take Dayton (paying $2mil exit fee) than Creighton (exit fee $50 thou) when you figure in travel expenses...... 9 teams going to Omaha vs Dayton. When you figure all the Olympic sports it adds up not only in dollars but in time. Many of those other sports travel by bus ....many more hours to Creighton (or St. L) than to Dayton.

I can't handle all this stress. Not getting into this new conference would just kill our program...

And if the C7 gets the Big East title, what will the old Big East be called?

ohmegerd, not getting into this conference will kill the program I've been following since February! JK, abas. The old BE is most likely taking the name American 12.

It may be that it is cheaper to take Dayton (paying $2mil exit fee) than Creighton (exit fee $50 thou) when you figure in travel expenses...... 9 teams going to Omaha vs Dayton. When you figure all the Olympic sports it adds up not only in dollars but in time. Many of those other sports travel by bus ....many more hours to Creighton (or St. L) than to Dayton.

Maybe SVU has agreed to take less money the first few years for a first year invite while paying their own exit fee.

America 12 ????

When will conferences learn not to put numbers in their conference titles.

During the Seton Hall - USF game last night (absolutely dreadful, I might add!), they were commenting that they may not go with that name now. Probably due to the number and the fact that it is just a dumb, generic name overall.

Speculation on the details = FUTILE, SO many factors.

It is a multi billion dollar deal, you have 7 institutions with Catholic Presidents, Fox, lawyers galore, terms and conditons, timing, scheduling problems, geography, politics (MU knows Creighton, etc)...

Some rumors are leaked on purpose... some details are held close to the vest, like any business merger.

SO lets gut it out, and hope our leaders do not blow it. I think we are SO well positioned. We shall see.

Speculation on the details = FUTILE, SO many factors.

It is a multi billion dollar deal, you have 7 institutions with Catholic Presidents, Fox, lawyers galore, terms and conditons, timing, scheduling problems, geography, politics (MU knows Creighton, etc)...

Some rumors are leaked on purpose... some details are held close to the vest, like any business merger.

SO lets gut it out, and hope our leaders do not blow it. I think we are SO well positioned. We shall see.

I agree with pretty much all you wrote. However, at this point, I don't think there is anything Biondi or May can do to blow it or not. Whether or not SLU is in has already been decided, and no amount of schmoozing from Biondi and May at this point is going to change that.

I agree with pretty much all you wrote. However, at this point, I don't think there is anything Biondi or May can do to blow it or not. Whether or not SLU is in has already been decided, and no amount of schmoozing from Biondi and May at this point is going to change that.

Agree...of course, it is almost certainly too late to change anything at this point, I did not say that, you do.

But what Biondi, May, et al did or did not do during the key decision making process mattered to some extent, maybe significantly.

The good thing is, even if Biondi "stunk it up", some wise decision makers understand that he will be out of the picture soon, and this is a long term decision.

Again, we shall see.

Well, if this is true, the Big East found its doormat early.

Dayton will never finish over .500 in that league.

Oh boy that's the truth. They haven't done better than 8-8 in the A10 since they danced in 2009. There are so many internal and external problems with Dayton basketball and if this report is true they're going to have a rough time next year. Doormat of the new big east.

If SLU is left out and joins in 2014-2015, the A10 will be a cakewalk next year besides VCU. I would love to see SLU schedule an out of conference game(s) with X, Butler, and/or Dayton next year though. Those are great games for both fan bases.

IF SLU gets into the BE in 2014-2015 what are we looking at in terms of recruiting? It doesnt look great to me. All the current Juniors will be gone and then what?? I don't know much about Drew or this kid coming in from Indiana but the future is concerning. I hope that Crews wants and gets the job and does a hell of a job recruiting. Making it to the second weekend of the NCAA tournament this year would be HUGE for this program. Need as much exposure as possible for future recruiting.

My take on the C7 expansion

The reason they are starting off with 10 teams and moving to 12 is that part of the deal negotiated during the breakup of the Big East was that Louisville, Rutgers and Notre Dame would also leave in 2013 (at least for Basketball) and possibly play 1 year with the C7 before departing for the ACC and BIG.

I think the reason no announcement has been made is due to ongoing negotiations with the ACC/BIG regarding Louisville, Rutgers, Maryland, and Notre Dame joining their respective new conferences in Basketball for 2013. With the most likely scenario that Notre Dame is allowed to join the ACC early. Maryland stays put in the ACC till 2014. Rutgers and Louisville play 1 year of football with the old Big East and 1 year of basketball with the C7 and 3 additional teams. Butler and Xaxier will take the first two spots and the last spot for 2013 will go to either SLU, Creighton. In 2014 Louisville and Rutgers will be replaced by 2 additional teams, one from the midwest (SLU or Creighton) and one from the east probably Richmond.

I still think Dayton gets left out.

The reason they are starting off with 10 teams and moving to 12 is that part of the deal negotiated during the breakup of the Big East was that Louisville, Rutgers and Notre Dame would also leave in 2013 (at least for Basketball) and possibly play 1 year with the C7 before departing for the ACC and BIG.

I think the reason no announcement has been made is due to ongoing negotiations with the ACC/BIG regarding Louisville, Rutgers, Maryland, and Notre Dame joining their respective new conferences in Basketball for 2013. With the most likely scenario that Notre Dame is allowed to join the ACC early. Maryland stays put in the ACC till 2014. Rutgers and Louisville play 1 year of football with the old Big East and 1 year of basketball with the C7 and 3 additional teams. Butler and Xaxier will take the first two spots and the last spot for 2013 will go to either SLU, Creighton. In 2014 Louisville and Rutgers will be replaced by 2 additional teams, one from the midwest (SLU or Creighton) and one from the east probably Richmond.

I have no idea if this true, but it certainly seems to be a plausible explanation why there would be a one year delay for two teams to become part of the BE.

So updates for you:

-ND is officially playing in the ACC next year. It was announced yesterday.

-Maryland and Rutgers have no plans, announced at least, of speeding up their departure for the B1G. It will happen in 2014 at the earliest.

-Louisville will not depart until 2014, being in the Old BE for at least a year, their entrance into the ACC is contingent upon Maryland leaving.

So, I truly doubt, with ND out now, the C7 will be playing with any 10 or 12 that aren't these rumored schools (X, BU, SLU, CU, SVU ((that's Sweater Vest University, slang for Dayton if you are new to the board))), they will not be playing ball with any old BE schools heading to the B1G, the ACC or anywhere else. And I'm not sure, with the Irish out now, what the hold up is on any further news other than max pr exposure timing.

Why would the Aresco league which is not great for basketball presently, allow Rutgers and Louisville to split basketball and football. There is no way in hell I'd settle for that.......where else are they going to go for football for one year?