Bernie Love

bills10

Bernie the front runner strikes again. Plus, he seemed to love Majerus more than any other St. Louis writer so it's not surprising. I'll take it, with the understanding he'll switch when the opportunity provides itself.

and some Seth Davis love: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-basketball/news/20130224/fast-break/?sct=hp_wr_a2&eref=sihp

"Team of the Week: Saint Louis

It is not all that shocking that the Billikens are alone in first place in the Atlantic 10, but given the road they traveled to get here, it is amazing nonetheless. The team had to suffer the passing of its coach, Rick Majerus, early in the season, yet last week Saint Louis posted its two best wins, throttling VCU by 14 points at home and then edging Butler 65-61 in Hinkle Fieldhouse, to take command of this competitive conference. The Billikens were fashioned in Majerus' image -- their five starters are all averaging between nine and 12 points per game -- but give Majerus' interim replacement, Jim Crews, a lot of credit for holding everything together. Saint Louis has a solid inside-outside combination in point guard Kwamain Mitchell and power forward Dwayne Evans, but its ability to take care of the ball and play lockdown defense has fueled this climb to the top. If the Billikens can keep it rolling and win a few games in the NCAA tournament, all of America will be rooting for them."

I like the comments for sure ... all publicity is good publicity ... but one has to question if folks like Seth are even watching when they write that Kwamain is the solid outside to Dwayne's inside. Say what? I am of course glad that Kwamain's back and getting to where we need him for March but short of the Rhode Island game (a loss) Kwamain has not been that solid in terms of "outside." And I take that to mean scoring punch. Last two games, we've had Mike McCall come back. We had Jake go off on VCU. We had Cody goes nuts at Fordham. Jordair zoning out. But Kwamain? Okay, it's picking nits but I said it.

I like the comments for sure ... all publicity is good publicity ... but one has to question if folks like Seth are even watching when they write that Kwamain is the solid outside to Dwayne's inside. Say what? I am of course glad that Kwamain's back and getting to where we need him for March but short of the Rhode Island game (a loss) Kwamain has not been that solid in terms of "outside." And I take that to mean scoring punch. Last two games, we've had Mike McCall come back. We had Jake go off on VCU. We had Cody goes nuts at Fordham. Jordair zoning out. But Kwamain? Okay, it's picking nits but I said it.

-Taj I share your view, one would think if you are going to write something on a team you would understand or talk to someone to give you what is happening

For those of us who read BM and listen to him on the radio on a regular basis over the years, he has been consistent as it applies to SLU and frankly other teams/programs. He is neither a hatchet job deliverer or a honk for any team. He has praised SLU when they do well and he points out issues when they do poorly. Examples: 1. his running battle with Biondi over the supporting the program - when Biondi would not step up he hammered him to the point that Biondi and he had a public sniping war going but when the arena was built he was supportive the only problem was that Biondi choose that time to get in his face about past comments and BM responded back taking away from the moment - whose fault was that. 2. when we hired RM he was supportive but when Biondi took the charter flights away he attacked Biondi for his two faced approach. 3. when we had the "indicident" he was supportive of the players and program but questioned the response by the school at first but was understanding to the final outcome as a compromise. For those of you who are not able to see his even handedness I say, step back and try and be more objective I think you will see that he is generally a fair minded reporter. He wants both Missouri and SLU to succeed unlike Jeff Gordon who with every chance he honks for Missouri and gives backhanded compliments to SLU begrudgingly. By the way, when Sodie was trying to get Missouri to play us he was out there hammering on them to play us and he has often commented about RM's lack of success in getting the game scheduled. He has always believed that the two should play because it would be good for fans. I for one do not have any problem with the article he just wrote and his over all handling of our program.

My problem with Bernie is that he almost never makes it to SLU games. I don't remember seeing him at a single one last year. If he came to more than one game for every couple times we make the tournament, maybe he would have more of his even-handed praise to dish out.

My problem with Bernie is that he almost never makes it to SLU games. I don't remember seeing him at a single one last year. If he came to more than one game for every couple times we make the tournament, maybe he would have more of his even-handed praise to dish out.

Bern's a talented enough scribe to pen an article like that based solely upon hearsay. Not a lot of people can pull that off.

Bernie was courtside at the VCU game. Keep in mind that covering sports is his job, and he doesn't control which games he is assigned to cover on a given night. His colleague, Joe Strauss, was talking up the SLU-VCU game for months (he is a VCU alum), but he was in Jupiter covering the Cardinals the night of the game.

For those of us who read BM and listen to him on the radio on a regular basis over the years, he has been consistent as it applies to SLU and frankly other teams/programs. He is neither a hatchet job deliverer or a honk for any team. He has praised SLU when they do well and he points out issues when they do poorly. Examples: 1. his running battle with Biondi over the supporting the program - when Biondi would not step up he hammered him to the point that Biondi and he had a public sniping war going but when the arena was built he was supportive the only problem was that Biondi choose that time to get in his face about past comments and BM responded back taking away from the moment - whose fault was that. 2. when we hired RM he was supportive but when Biondi took the charter flights away he attacked Biondi for his two faced approach. 3. when we had the "indicident" he was supportive of the players and program but questioned the response by the school at first but was understanding to the final outcome as a compromise. For those of you who are not able to see his even handedness I say, step back and try and be more objective I think you will see that he is generally a fair minded reporter. He wants both Missouri and SLU to succeed unlike Jeff Gordon who with every chance he honks for Missouri and gives backhanded compliments to SLU begrudgingly. By the way, when Sodie was trying to get Missouri to play us he was out there hammering on them to play us and he has often commented about RM's lack of success in getting the game scheduled. He has always believed that the two should play because it would be good for fans. I for one do not have any problem with the article he just wrote and his over all handling of our program.

+1 Bernie has been fair to SLU over the years. He has simply wanted Biondi to keep to his pledge that SLU was going to be a consistent top 50- program. Since SLU built the arena and SLU decided to get away from going the route of hiring a non-descript coach on the cheap and decided to make a serious commitment by bringing in Majerus, Bernie has treated the program with a lot more respect. Also, Majerus understood that the best way to generate a lot of publicity for your program is to simply win on a consistent basis. It started happening last year and it is happening again this year.

BM watches many of our games on TV - he has said that this year he found it hard to attend our games because of his emotional tie to RM and his death still shakes him. He also has said in the past that since everyone knows his relationship with RM - he credits RM with saving his life - that he tried to not go to many games so people would think he was not being objective. He does not need to see the games in person but if he watches them on TV then he is getting an adequate view.

Bernie mentioned on his show last week (after the VCU win) that one of the reasons he hadn't attended any games was his close connection to Majerus and that he couldn't bear the thought of looking to his right and seeing his old friend.

I'd agee with the above. If we have any complaint w/ BM it's he doesn' t write about us enough and concentrates more on the pros. But he 's written some really solid pro billiken columns, especially since he and RM became good buds.

Bernie was courtside at the VCU game. Keep in mind that covering sports is his job, and he doesn't control which games he is assigned to cover on a given night. His colleague, Joe Strauss, was talking up the SLU-VCU game for months (he is a VCU alum), but he was in Jupiter covering the Cardinals the night of the game.

This isn't entirely accurate.

MODERATING THE MODERATORS. Somebody's gotta do it... nice work, bonwich.

This isn't entirely accurate.

Yes, I know Bernie was at the VCU game and yes, I know that he says part of the reason he hasn't been to more games THIS season is his grief over losing Majerus. But I was talking about LAST season, when his buddy was capping his mission of putting this program back on the map and sending it to the tourney--I don't think Bernie went to a single game all year, and wrote only sparingly of SLU at the end of last season. That really surprised me, and it came as a disappointment, since (as you say) he had written many positive things about SLU ever since the Majerus hire and the groundbreaking of the new arena. I expected much more attention from Bernie once it finally became clear we were for real.

As for the idea that Bernie has no say in the games he is "assigned" to, though, I'll just say that your understanding of the hierarchy of the P-D sports page is quite different than mine...

Yes, I know Bernie was at the VCU game and yes, I know that he says part of the reason he hasn't been to more games THIS season is his grief over losing Majerus. But I was talking about LAST season, when his buddy was capping his mission of putting this program back on the map and sending it to the tourney--I don't think Bernie went to a single game all year, and wrote only sparingly of SLU at the end of last season.

Well, he did go to Columbus, but other than that, your recollections appear to be accurate, including post-season ink. I can't find anything that he wrote last year that indicated he was at a regular-season game. In fairness, however, Burwell was all over it last year, and even though "assignments" aren't managed stringently, the two of them would rarely if ever have been in the same place on the same day.

and some Seth Davis love: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-basketball/news/20130224/fast-break/?sct=hp_wr_a2&eref=sihp

"Team of the Week: Saint Louis

It is not all that shocking that the Billikens are alone in first place in the Atlantic 10, but given the road they traveled to get here, it is amazing nonetheless. The team had to suffer the passing of its coach, Rick Majerus, early in the season, yet last week Saint Louis posted its two best wins, throttling VCU by 14 points at home and then edging Butler 65-61 in Hinkle Fieldhouse, to take command of this competitive conference. The Billikens were fashioned in Majerus' image -- their five starters are all averaging between nine and 12 points per game -- but give Majerus' interim replacement, Jim Crews, a lot of credit for holding everything together. Saint Louis has a solid inside-outside combination in point guard Kwamain Mitchell and power forward Dwayne Evans, but its ability to take care of the ball and play lockdown defense has fueled this climb to the top. If the Billikens can keep it rolling and win a few games in the NCAA tournament, all of America will be rooting for them."

Did anyone inform Seth that the statement in bold isn't true? The top 5 scorers aren't all starters. Jett and Ellis come off the bench.