I've seen enough....

BIG BILL FAN

He says he doesn't care about the national respect because as a coach you use that to motivate your team. I more worried about how he will sell the program to recruits than the media. Keep on winning and you don't need to sell it to the media.

Yeah you do. They help do your recruiting for you.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quit with the small time, Westy attitude. We've arrived and will be in the new league. Crews has done a great job but won't take us to the next level. We are where we all expected to be prior to the season,right??? Bring in a younger, name coach to land some late recruits. Think big time.

Exactly.

First we need to get into the new league or we are hurting. Then if we finish the season halfway decently, say win 3 of last 4, win 1 or 2 A-10 games, win 1 or two NCAA tourney games, then it is decision time. Sign Crews or go outside?

I would lean to go out and get an up and comer, (maybe the Lehigh guy type head coach, or a NAME assistant on a big time power conference team) who WANTS to come here, in the new conference it will not be a steppingstone (Romar) who will recruit his ass off, sell the program, and keep the Majerus momentum going... Majerus did it all... and recruiting is the key.

I am not convinced Crews can or will do that. Maybe. Wanna risk it? It would not be the end of the world if we took that chance. He sure can coach what Majerus recruited, taught, groomed, developed.

Yes we have three excellent guards... but the KEY is the wave of strong bigs, we NEVER have had that, EVER.

Majerus got those for us. And now, there are no bigs in this yr's freshman class and none coming in next yr so far. It is critical that we get 1-2 bigs somehow for next fall. Or 2014-2015 looks like back to same old same old.

Yeah you do. They help do your recruiting for you.

The point is winning does all the selling you need to the media. Crews wouldn't be taking over a 5-25 team where he needs to sell hope. It has been proven you can win at SLU.

I used to be pretty much on board for with going the recruiter way for the head coach. I have now come to the belief that having the right system and the ability to indentify the kids to play in that system is more important at a school like SLU. We will never be able to consistently compete with the big boys if we try to build a program that will out recruit them.

Take Gonzaga for example........ in the last decade they have a total of two top 25 recruiting classes. The program isn't built on landing 5 and 4 star recruits. It is the system and the ability to find the right kids for the system.

The point is winning does all the selling you need to the media. Crews wouldn't be taking over a 5-25 team where he needs to sell hope. It has been proven you can win at SLU.

I used to be pretty much on board for with going the recruiter way for the head coach. I have now come to the belief that having the right system and the ability to indentify the kids to play in that system is more important at a school like SLU. We will never be able to consistently compete with the big boys if we try to build a program that will out recruit them.

Take Gonzaga for example........ in the last decade they have a total of two top 25 recruiting classes. The program isn't built on landing 5 and 4 star recruits. It is the system and the ability to find the right kids for the system.

You know, that's a good point. I guess what I'm trying to say though, is that for the most part historically, we have done a terrible job of promotion of this program as a university. We undersell it. I do sincerely believe we could do more promotion and I do think a big part of it comes from the coach.

Promotion helps recruit, helps build the atmosphere and support among the fans and alumni (another thing that has always been bush league and had just now started to get better).

Crews or no Crews next year, I think we can all agree he has done spectacularly this year and RM is smiling.

Totally. Bottom line is, he's done everything we've asked of him and more. At the least, we will be indebted to him for the job he's done and I wish him the best of luck at ISU.

Exactly.

First we need to get into the new league or we are hurting. Then if we finish the season halfway decently, say win 3 of last 4, win 1 or 2 A-10 games, win 1 or two NCAA tourney games, then it is decision time. Sign Crews or go outside?

I would lean to go out and get an up and comer, (maybe the Lehigh guy type head coach, or a NAME assistant on a big time power conference team) who WANTS to come here, in the new conference it will not be a steppingstone (Romar) who will recruit his ass off, sell the program, and keep the Majerus momentum going... Majerus did it all... and recruiting is the key.

I am not convinced Crews can or will do that. Maybe. Wanna risk it? It would not be the end of the world if we took that chance. He sure can coach what Majerus recruited, taught, groomed, developed.

Yes we have three excellent guards... but the KEY is the wave of strong bigs, we NEVER have had that, EVER.

Majerus got those for us. And now, there are no bigs in this yr's freshman class and none coming in next yr so far. It is critical that we get 1-2 bigs somehow for next fall. Or 2014-2015 looks like back to same old same old.

You should be the athletic director. I couldn't have said it any better.

I actually don't think we've done as well as I thought going into the season. I actually think we are doing better than expected. I really believe the guys are playing better and I thought they would play really good. We knew RM was sick, but I didn't see him dying during the season. I didn't anticipate KM breaking his foot. I didn't expect our prized recruit to leave. All that happened and we are playing fantastic basketball. I would give Crews credit for performing even less than we have. He has exceeded my high expectations. The guys seem looser and I think we are playing betteroffense than I expected and are D seems as good as ever.

I have said all along that we can't fully gauge RM's impact until a couple years after he was gone. You have to look at things prior to a Coach coming in, how a Coach does while he is here, and how things are left and how things go for a year or two after. RM didn't come in to have a winning season or two, he came in to build a program and he has done that. RM probably could have won a few more games if he just wanted to win games and adapt with the players he had and their skills. But, he came in and wanted to rebuild a program and by doing that he had to tear some things down so he could properly build them up. RM was far and away our best Coach in the modern era. We were good last year. We are very good this year and I think we will be very good next year. I credit that to Rick.

As far as Crews, I am coming around on him. However, if he stays he cannot keep the current coaching staff in place. He would have to add a stud recruiter to the staff.

As much as I would be okay with Crews, I just can't see how that would be best for the next 5 years or more. IF Dr. C is still committed and we can make another big splash, it would be hard to think retaining Crews would be better than that. I think Crews would be a good hire for success for next year as well, but I just think to take things to even the next level there is somebody better out there that we could hire. This will be an attractive job for a new hire. If we get in the conference, this will be an unbelievable job for somebody.

Nobody gets fired. He has a one year contract and when the contract is up both parties have the option to agree to renew if one does not then the matter is over.

We have on big in the freshman class - Jared Drew.

1) One yr deal? What recruit will come for a guy with a one yr deal?

2) I am aware of Jared Drew. Good recruit. But it is rare that I call 6'4" 205 a "big". RL 6'11", CE 6'8", DE 6'5" but long, incredibly tough & savvy inside, an exception, I will call him a big... CR 6'8", GG 6'6" w/muscles, and JM 6'11". 6 Bigs.

1) One yr deal? What recruit will come for a guy with a one yr deal?

2) I am aware of Jared Drew. Good recruit. But it is rare that I call 6'4" 205 a "big". RL 6'11", CE 6'8", DE 6'5" but long, incredibly tough & savvy inside, an exception, I will call him a big... CR 6'8", GG 6'6" w/muscles, and JM 6'11". 6 Bigs.

I think what cheeseman is saying is that Crews has a one-year contract. Now. So he wouldn't be "fired" at the end of the season.

And on this talk of "always selling the program," the guy he replaced was pretty godawful from that aspect. (See the word: "always.")

If we chose to not retain a coach that wins (or is a runner-up for) the national coach of the year, we won't look big-time. We will look like an incompetent program that can't help but shoot itself in the foot.

Maybe he will want to retire. But if he doesn't we'd better think twice before thinking some hot shot 40 year old coming off a Summit league title, or an assistant who maybe is being made to look better than he is by a strong program, is the better choice for us.

Ok this is just a crazy idea that popped in to my head but I absolutely loved Chris Harriman when he was here and I would also love to see him back again. What if SLU could name Crewes the HC for the next two years then name Harriman as the coach in waiting. University of Wisconsin football team did it back when they were making the transition from Alvarez to Bielema and worked out very well and the program didn't miss a beat (that is until Bielema stabbed Alvarez in the back this past year...). It's just a crazy idea but wondering if anybody had any thoughts on that idea.

Ok this is just a crazy idea that popped in to my head but I absolutely loved Chris Harriman when he was here and I would also love to see him back again. What if SLU could name Crewes the HC for the next two years then name Harriman as the coach in waiting. University of Wisconsin football team did it back when they were making the transition from Alvarez to Bielema and worked out very well and the program didn't miss a beat (that is until Bielema stabbed Alvarez in the back this past year...). It's just a crazy idea but wondering if anybody had any thoughts on that idea.

I believe Purdue did that with Painter as well. Didn't he coach for a year or two as an assistant under Gene Keady after being the HC at Methdale?

If we were to switch next year, wouldn't we want a coach with the same style of play as Crews/RM? These guys seem to really be groomed for this type of basketball, and how hard would it be to adapt to a completely new system as a senior? Right now we are in a groove, and that really might be dusrupted with a change in direction.

I believe Purdue did that with Painter as well. Didn't he coach for a year or two as an assistant under Gene Keady after being the HC at Methdale?

I'm not sure I'm not the CBB historian like others on this board but the more and more I think of that idea the more and more I like it. It's a win win, we retain and reward the great job that Crewes has done but also set a time limit on his term. i honestly don't think he wants to coach more than a couple more years. We also get what everybody here covets, a young spark plug coach who can coach AND recruit, and is also a known quantity to us and the basketball program he would also continue the Majerus system... I am really curious to others' thoughts

I'm not sure I'm not the CBB historian like others on this board but the more and more I think of that idea the more and more I like it. It's a win win, we retain and reward the great job that Crewes has done but also set a time limit on his term. i honestly don't think he wants to coach more than a couple more years. We also get what everybody here covets, a young spark plug coach who can coach AND recruit, and is also a known quantity to us and the basketball program he would also continue the Majerus system... I am really curious to others' thoughts

Jim Crews is 59 years old and appears to be in good shape. He could easily coach several more years.