Rammer and the Ref at VCU Game

SluBallz

Overall, I think the refs were fine. A couple of weird calls and as you say fans will be fans. I don't remember the fans reacting all that bad to the Kwam splitting the double team no call. That was not a smart play by Kwam. The two that stick out in my head were the fans really reacted: one in front of the scorers table that I believe Rammer reacted to. The other was on the charge call on Evans. Pretty sure you are right on the foul on Remekun. I think that is just the frustrating one when an official is right on top of the play and doesn't call it, but the one 60ft away makes the call. Very well may have been correct. Long story short, I didn't feel the refs had a huge impact either way on the game which was good.

The problem with that play on KM was he had been fouled 4 times by the time he tried to split the double team which btw is exactly what he should have been doing. The space not occupied by the defender is his to step through and the defender can't move and bump him to close the gap. This is what gets me with VCU's bitching. VCU fouls almost every possession in the back court and it doesn't get called, so please don't complain when we get up in your face and bump you a little (or a lot) you can't ask for the refs to just let them play when you're on defense.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I totally agree with Skip's take on VCU's complaints, and a fair amount of other teams' for that matter. I'm biased as heck, but I think SLU often guards without fouling. They (Evans and Loe, in particular) do a great job of walling up and contesting shooters without bodying them with their base (ie, "the Conklin").

The space not occupied by the defender is his to step through and the defender can't move and bump him to close the gap.

True, but offense isn't allowed to displace defense on its way to the open space.

That's not a commentary on Kwamain's play, just generally speaking. A good HS trap can be fairly worthless bc, IMO, officials won't call the offense for charging through both inside hips of a legal trap/legal guarding position.

The problem with that play on KM was he had been fouled 4 times by the time he tried to split the double team which btw is exactly what he should have been doing. The space not occupied by the defender is his to step through and the defender can't move and bump him to close the gap. This is what gets me with VCU's bitching. VCU fouls almost every possession in the back court and it doesn't get called, so please don't complain when we get up in your face and bump you a little (or a lot) you can't ask for the refs to just let them play when you're on defense.

I disagree. FOUR times Kwamain dribbled directly into the VCU press. Was he fouled on the way? Probably but you'd think maybe he'd have changed course after the first two times it happened.....

I totally agree with Skip's take on VCU's complaints, and a fair amount of other teams' for that matter. I'm biased as heck, but I think SLU often guards without fouling. They (Evans and Loe, in particular) do a great job of walling up and contesting shooters without bodying them with their base (ie, "the Conklin").

True, but offense isn't allowed to displace defense on its way to the open space.

That's not a commentary on Kwamain's play, just generally speaking. A good HS trap can be fairly worthless bc, IMO, officials won't call the offense for charging through both inside hips of a legal trap/legal guarding position.

All traps are fairly worthless against a patient team. Which is why we basically had no trouble against it. In fact we got more points off easy buckets due to the trap then they got off turnovers created. Be patient, see the trap and pass over or around it before it gets there. The hard part is just doing the simple thing and not getting caught up in trying to speed up the game. Attack when you've beaten it, but be patient until you do. I thought the Bills did a great job of attacking the basket when they had opportunities and just pulling it out and making VCU work on defense

To OC you may be right about a HS trap not getting called properly, but imo a foul should usually be called before the offensive player even attempts to step through as the trappers almost always want to reach and grab at the ball.

I disagree. FOUR times Kwamain dribbled directly into the VCU press. Was he fouled on the way? Probably but you'd think maybe he'd have changed course after the first two times it happened.....

I don't disagree that KM was trying to force the dribble too much, but on the other end how many times did he beat it with the dribble and 2 of those TO's were at the end of the game. So basically he got caught twice until the game was almost over and out of reach. At least a couple of times he was forced to catch in the corner, that's bad news instantly as they close on you before you have time to react and doing anything other than trying to split it and pass out or dribble out is virtually impossible. You just can't let the defense dictate and force you into the corner to catch the inbounds. I thought when they switched to the man press late we didn't set the screens to get our ball handler open. Once he caught it in a bad position they doubled him.

I did see Boroski say something to a fan just a couple rows back of the table, and that surprised me. Big no-no. Eject him (if deserving) or ignore him. The fan and his friends got the biggest kick out of Boroski's acknowledgment--which is likely what they wanted.

This was not nearly as big of a deal as it sounds. It was my friend he said something to. My friend was complaining like all other fans were - nothing out of line. All Boroski did was say "Give me a break", while giving him the calm down hand motion. I actually thought Boroski was pretty tame in that case. But I was still surprised that he acknowledged fans.

bo bo down the stretch made you wonder if he was cheating. my gosh the call on evans all the way across the court when the other ref was literally two feet away with a perfect view was the clincher.

the picture above of ramsey with the hand in bo bo's face is nothing short of legendary.

the other two refs were fine. i seriously cant even remember them or anything they did or didnt do which is a good sign. a good day reffing means you were invisible.

I know there was a separate call where the SLU player (Cory) was on Boroski's side of the call, unlike the pics above. The crowd went nutty.

But those (great) pics make it evident the Rammer nuttiness was after the Evans thing.

Great pics.

I totally disagree with the "a good day reffing means you were invisible" thing. How do you accomplish invisibility? Visibility comes from the arguing, body language, etc, of players and coaches. Officials don't make a call and ask for opinions...

These are funny, but they also unfortunately trickle down to Jr High "players", parents, and "coaches":

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nba/photos/1302/nba-players-disagreeing-with-foul-calls/

My buddies and I were watching that all transpire with Rammer. I agree that picture is Legendary. We should find a way to make that an everyday part of this Board, maybe put it on the front page of this site. Rammer should autograph every one of those pictures for us fans.