Guy Phillips

majerus mojo

Of all the people I attend games with and all the people I know who go to games, young and old, and have been following the Billikens for 1, 5, 10, 20, 30 or 40 years, this is the only place I ever hear anyone complain CONSTANTLY about Guy. I have never even heard a non-Billikens.com person say anything about Guy except once in awhile someone will say he is funny or something like that.

I don't pay any real attention to him. I can tell who scored and who is going into the games without the announcer telling me. It almost sounds like some people on this board miss the game because they seem to be so intent on trying to catch Guy make a mistake. It takes effort to constantly be monitoring everything he says. Just seems kind of weird, almost creepy, to be so obsessed about a PA announcer.

My post was generally a joke, but it's really not that hard to hear Guy Phillips announce something and say to yourself, "Nope, that's wrong." I have ears.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Of all the people I attend games with and all the people I know who go to games, young and old, and have been following the Billikens for 1, 5, 10, 20, 30 or 40 years, this is the only place I ever hear anyone complain CONSTANTLY about Guy. I have never even heard a non-Billikens.com person say anything about Guy except once in awhile someone will say he is funny or something like that.

I don't pay any real attention to him. I can tell who scored and who is going into the games without the announcer telling me. It almost sounds like some people on this board miss the game because they seem to be so intent on trying to catch Guy make a mistake. It takes effort to constantly be monitoring everything he says. Just seems kind of weird, almost creepy, to be so obsessed about a PA announcer.

The majority of people who attend Billikens games have been conditioned to accept Guy Phillips, his mistakes, and his lame schtick.

I count myself amongst that majority. I don't let his crap bother me (anymore) to the point where it distracts me from the game. I just tune him out entirely.

That being said, the Internet is a place where minority opinions can be discussed.

I remember in the mid 90s when Guy started doing games thinking that he sucked. I was forced to listen to him on Y98 during carpool rides, so I admit was already not a fan of his - but mostly I didn't like the way he tried to insert himself into the game. The previous annoucner (Mike Owens?) that was around for the Bonner era and the 1993-94 run was better. I never appreciated him until I had to put up with Guy.

Fast forward nearly 20 years later, and Guy is still doing the games, and on top of that he's blatantly screwing up names of players who have been regulars for 3 years. Could you imagine John Ulett butchering David Freese or Jon Jay the way Guy refers to Jordan Jett and Dwight Evans?

For the record, my wife is not on this board and she agrees that Guy is horrible.

At the opening practice, we got up for snacks as soon as Guy picked up the mic....and guess who was right behind us in line? Earl Austin Jr. Reason # 1321249124 why Earl is Awesome.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="majerus mojo" data-cid="343535" data-time="1361134515"><p>

<br />

My post was generally a joke, but it's really not that hard to hear Guy Phillips announce something and say to yourself, "Nope, that's wrong." I have ears.</p></blockquote>

Exactly. My guess if we really listened to him to catch his errors the total would be remarkable considering he is a "professional".

Of all the people I attend games with and all the people I know who go to games, young and old, and have been following the Billikens for 1, 5, 10, 20, 30 or 40 years, this is the only place I ever hear anyone complain CONSTANTLY about Guy. I have never even heard a non-Billikens.com person say anything about Guy except once in awhile someone will say he is funny or something like that. I don't pay any real attention to him. I can tell who scored and who is going into the games without the announcer telling me. It almost sounds like some people on this board miss the game because they seem to be so intent on trying to catch Guy make a mistake. It takes effort to constantly be monitoring everything he says. Just seems kind of weird, almost creepy, to be so obsessed about a PA announcer.

I thought Gus Phillip defenders were limited to menapausal women like my mom.

I thought Gus Phillip defenders were limited to menapausal women like my mom.

Who says I'm not menopausal....?

P.S. not really a defender; I just don't get the ongoing fascination with monitoring and dissecting his performance after every third game or so. Now, the A10 vs. MVC, THAT is a relevant topic. :rolleyes:

Alumni fan- I think it goes back to us wanting SLU to be a big time basketball program. There isn't another major college program that has such incompetence. If they can't get the most simple things right such as a pa announcer, what can we hope for from the rest of the game day experience?

Who says I'm not menopausal....?P.S. not really a defender; I just don't get the ongoing fascination with monitoring and dissecting his performance after every third game or so. Now, the A10 vs. MVC, THAT is a relevant topic. :rolleyes:

The fact that Gus Phillip can't say the name of player correctly after 3 years of getting paid to say that name correctly is sad.

Alumni fan- I think it goes back to us wanting SLU to be a big time basketball program. There isn't another major college program that has such incompetence. If they can't get the most simple things right such as a pa announcer, what can we hope for from the rest of the game day experience?

And this is really, I guess, my entire point. For ME, maybe not anyone else, my game day experience is awesome. Yesterday was a perfect example. Parked across the street from the arena, had a nice walk across campus to Hump's, enjoyed drinks and friends at Hump's, took the bus back to the arena for free, stopped by the Billiken Club hospitality room, had a drink and some snacks, received a nice and thorough program from an usher, always love the player introductions, watched a great game against a quality opponent in a top quality conference in a top flight arena, had the world's greatest pretzel, at half time, and, finally, when I left, was able to make it out of the parking lot in about 2 minutes. What's not to like? Yeah, I could have been hanging on every word from Guy, but why? The overall product is GREAT!! I'm not going to let some guy announcing stuff I already know, ruin my experience.

I know a lot of people like Mike Owens. He was certainly competent, but his voice just isn't that great to me, actually, I think he has a voice for silent movies, but if he was announcing, I would just ignore him and enjoy the other 98% of my game day experience.

Just my opinion. I'm probably alone.

Maybe our free-throw shooters are (usually) concentrating enough not to notice but it really irritates me when he is talking during our FT attempt. He should have already announced who is at the line before the throw is on its way. He's got nerve telling us when we should be on our feet like for the opening tip and then later distract our own player. Dumb.

Maybe our free-throw shooters are (usually) concentrating enough not to notice but it really irritates me when he is talking during our FT attempt. He should have already announced who is at the line before the throw is on its way. He's got nerve telling us when we should be on our feet like for the opening tip and then later distract our own player. Dumb.

That is a very fair point and I agree 100%. He needs to keep his mouth shut during free throws.

My game day experience is actually enhanced by Guy Phillips' incompetence. It always gives me a good laugh when he calls Dwayne 'Dwight', has to say 'correction', screws up the substitutions, shouts 'BILLIKEN D-FENSE!' after an unforced turnover or tries to make a witty comment at an inappropriate time. I am so used to it that I am actually a little disappointed when Guy isn't there for a game.

Incompetence should bother everyone. Guy is incompetent and at some point others have to do something about it - I glad that Tucci gives money to the program and probably pays for Guy but at some point Tucci has to realize that his buddy is just terrible. Of course this is the same Tucci who paid for a segment on Slaten's show - what does that tell you about him,

Mike Owens is superior to Guy, everyone knows it. One poster keeps finessing and spinning this and backdoor supporting Guy, it is just part of the experience, blah, blah.

NOPE.

Must have an agenda or be a friend or a friend of a friend.

I do tune out Guy most of the time. Even when he's not making mistakes I don't think he is a very good PA announcer. That said I don't like a whole lot of non basketball performance during the games. I just don't think it is done well.

Anyone noticed they stopped interviewing the people for Parking spot of the game? They just have them sit there and mug for the camera? I was the last person they interviewed in their actual seat. Maybe I yelled too loud.

If Guy Phillips performed like this as Billikens coach he'd would have been fired faster than Ekker. I just think we deserve excellence and professionalism in every facet of the athletic program. Guy may get a lot of hate here because he is the most visible example of incompetence the athletic program has. If we can't get the PA announcer right, how can we get anything else right?

You have to admit the Royal Bank Shot for Cash could not possibly have gone any better the last 2 games.

They moved the shot in too close. It should be at halfcourt. If you can't shoot it that far you shouldn't sign up for the contest. Any basketball player should be able to make the shot for cash at its current distance 2 out of every 10 times. If I was shooting every game, I'd make one probably every other game with ease.

Mike Owens is superior to Guy, everyone knows it. One poster keeps finessing and spinning this and backdoor supporting Guy, it is just part of the experience, blah, blah.

NOPE.

Must have an agenda or be a friend or a friend of a friend.

Yeah, he's my dad. With every post you further secure your spot.

I do tune out Guy most of the time. Even when he's not making mistakes I don't think he is a very good PA announcer. That said I don't like a whole lot of non basketball performance during the games. I just don't think it is done well.

Anyone noticed they stopped interviewing the people for Parking spot of the game? They just have them sit there and mug for the camera? I was the last person they interviewed in their actual seat. Maybe I yelled too loud.

If Guy Phillips performed like this as Billikens coach he'd would have been fired faster than Ekker. I just think we deserve excellence and professionalism in every facet of the athletic program. Guy may get a lot of hate here because he is the most visible example of incompetence the athletic program has. If we can't get the PA announcer right, how can we get anything else right?

So since people don't like Guy Phillips, nothing else is right with the program? C'mon Torch, we are 19-5, 1/2 game out in the top non-BCS conference, playing in one of the top arena's in the country, in front of nearly sold out crowds, with great student attendance and a great band - and people are seriously asking that if the PA announcers screws up players' names, "How can we get anything else right??" This, again, is my point. There is a core group of about 10 or so people obsessed with Guy Phillips. Out of the 10,000+ people there Saturday, how many went home thinking, "Man, that would have been great, but that PA announcer really ruined the whole game for me. I'll never be back..."? Maybe about 10...from this board. Oh yeah, and everyone that MB has ever known, spoken to, looked at, or been in the same hemisphere with.

But, I'll admit it, I'm just spinning and finessing to protect good ol' dad. :rolleyes:

So since people don't like Guy Phillips, nothing else is right with the program? C'mon Torch, we are 19-5, 1/2 game out in the top non-BCS conference, playing in one of the top arena's in the country, in front of nearly sold out crowds, with great student attendance and a great band - and people are seriously asking that if the PA announcers screws up players' names, "How can we get anything else right??" This, again, is my point. There is a core group of about 10 or so people obsessed with Guy Phillips. Out of the 10,000+ people there Saturday, how many went home thinking, "Man, that would have been great, but that PA announcer really ruined the whole game for me. I'll never be back..."? Maybe about 10...from this board. Oh yeah, and everyone that MB has ever known, spoken to, looked at, or been in the same hemisphere with.

But, I'll admit it, I'm just spinning and finessing to protect good ol' dad. :rolleyes:

But shouldn't the PA know the players on the home team and annunciate it correctly after a player has been on the team for 3 years? And not take nights off to do the Braggin' Rights game? Shows no commitment to the job, in my opinion. At least the sub PA, says "Dwyane Evans"

But shouldn't the PA know the players on the home team and annunciate it correctly after a player has been on the team for 3 years? And not take nights off to do the Braggin' Rights game? Shows no commitment to the job, in my opinion. At least the sub PA, says "Dwyane Evans"

Which speaks to the perception that he's

1) Not a real Billikens fan

2) Doesn't take the job seriously

3) is only doing it as an ego trip