Top 25 Watch

TheA_Bomb

This Miami story is probably the most interesting rags-to-riches in recent memory.

How a historically strong football school all of a sudden gets white hot in hoops is pretty amazing. Maybe it's just the "culture of basketball" that migrated to Coral Gables when LeBron James took his talents to South Beach? Him and Dwayne Wade are staples at home games and the smackdown they gave Duke was legendary; probably the most enjoyable basketball game I've watched in years. Everything about that game was awesome. Barry Larkin's kid is the truth.

Former Mason Jim Laranaga has built a house of bricks down on Dixie Highway - a very strong team at the U.

I'm sure everything with the basketball program is just squeaky clean at the U.

This Miami story is probably the most interesting rags-to-riches in recent memory.

How a historically strong football school all of a sudden gets white hot in hoops is pretty amazing. Maybe it's just the "culture of basketball" that migrated to Coral Gables when LeBron James took his talents to South Beach? Him and Dwayne Wade are staples at home games and the smackdown they gave Duke was legendary; probably the most enjoyable basketball game I've watched in years. Everything about that game was awesome. Barry Larkin's kid is the truth.

Former Mason Jim Laranaga has built a house of bricks down on Dixie Highway - a very strong team at the U.

Hmmm.... I wonder if losing their coach a year and a half ago has anything to do with that.

I'm sure everything with the basketball program is just squeaky clean at the U.

:)

Good point... just that if you asked any Miami fan which one of their teams is currently in the Top-5, no one would ever think to say their hoops team. It's like Duke football being good. Just doesn't belong in the same sentence.

I wonder if a Charlotte win and any other shake ups will be enough top bring us to the top 25 by next week. Probably not but the way things have been shaking up lately it could happen.

I'd like to think so, but I think it'll take 3 more.

Especially when teams lose twice in a week and don't move.

Kentucky beats an average South Carolina and a below average Auburn and jumps 9 spots.

Absolutely ridiculous. Even in a year with such incredible parity, the college hoops writers still can't help themselves when it comes to overrating teams from power conferences.

I wonder if a Charlotte win and any other shake ups will be enough top bring us to the top 25 by next week. Probably not but the way things have been shaking up lately it could happen.

Not a chance. That is a lot of leapfrogging and there wouldn't be a signature win. Even a complete drubbing of Charlotte is probably just going to leave SLU at the same spot they are in the polls, maybe a spot or two higher.

Absolutely ridiculous. Even in a year with such incredible parity, the college hoops writers still can't help themselves when it comes to overrating teams from power conferences.

Yep. They have to save face. Kentucky was something like #3 in the preseason polls.

That's also why I'm not too worried about cracking the top 25. We'll surprise everyone in the Tournament instead.

34th place and 34 votes is about where I thought we would be.....2 more weeks with 3 more wins and we will be there.

Being in the top 35 in the AP poll is pretty good stuff. I would like to be ranked, but I think we're in good shape none the less.

Look who made the main NCAA page at the USA Today: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaab/

I'd take that...in Lexington against Dana Altman's Ducks. Bring it. Like my hunting motto: "If it's flyin, it's dyin!"

256px-DuckHuntBox.jpg

Well, they are in a power conference... a BCS conference, so their wins count for more. :rolleyes:

Well to play devils advocate here the RPI rankings don't use polls so I think it can be argued that they are unbiased. Given that and the fact that I'm pretty sure RPI has us in the 50's then I would say the AP Poll has us rated quite favorably.

Myron Medcalf loves him some Billikens. From his espn chat today:

Jonathan (NC)

This season of College Hoops seems to be in shambles with no clear cut leader like last year. In your opinion, give me 3 unranked teams who stand a chance at making the tourny and making a run towards greatness??

Myron Medcalf (2:27 PM)

I don't know about greatness. But Belmont, Middle Tennessee and St. Louis could make noise in March.

-------

Frank Turner (California)

do you agree with brad stevens quote, Saint Louis is "at a level nobody realizes. ... SLU could go to the Final Four and it wouldn't surprise me one bit."?

Myron Medcalf (2:56 PM)

I don't know about all that. But I think the Billikens have the defensive tools to give a lot of teams fits in the postseason. And they're deep. Smart offensively. That's going to be a horrible first or second round matchup for some BCS school.

Myron Medcalf loves him some Billikens. From his espn chat today:

Jonathan (NC)

This season of College Hoops seems to be in shambles with no clear cut leader like last year. In your opinion, give me 3 unranked teams who stand a chance at making the tourny and making a run towards greatness??

Myron Medcalf (2:27 PM)

I don't know about greatness. But Belmont, Middle Tennessee and St. Louis could make noise in March.

-------

Frank Turner (California)

do you agree with brad stevens quote, Saint Louis is "at a level nobody realizes. ... SLU could go to the Final Four and it wouldn't surprise me one bit."?

Myron Medcalf (2:56 PM)

I don't know about all that. But I think the Billikens have the defensive tools to give a lot of teams fits in the postseason. And they're deep. Smart offensively. That's going to be a horrible first or second round matchup for some BCS school.

All this being said, it's kind of interesting that he ranked us #20 last week and now we're not in his top 25.