C7 now eyeing Richmond for 11th or 12th Spot

"RT @McMurphyESPN: After Butler & Xavier, Catholic 7 schools eyeing Creighton & Richmond reports @ESPNAndyKatzhttp://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/tag/_/name/katz-3-point-shot …"

Creighton I understand, but Richmond?! I don't know much about Richmond, expect they won the A-10 a few years back (2009 or 2010?), but what their appeal to the C7. Could be nothing, but interesting that SLU now has to compete with Richmond, who at least I consider, to be in the middle of the pack in the A-10 most years.

"RT @McMurphyESPN: After Butler & Xavier, Catholic 7 schools eyeing Creighton & Richmond reports @ESPNAndyKatzhttp://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/tag/_/name/katz-3-point-shot …"

Creighton I understand, but Richmond?! I don't know much about Richmond, expect they won the A-10 a few years back (2009 or 2010?), but what their appeal to the C7. Could be nothing, but interesting that SLU now has to compete with Richmond, who at least I consider, to be in the middle of the pack in the A-10 most years.

I don't believe any reports even about butler and x.

Here is the blog. Just more speculation, nothing earth shattering. Blah blah blah....

3-point shot: Big East 7 possible candidates

By Andy Katz | Feb 8, 2013 5:00 AM

1. The departing Big East 7 are still negotiating their exit from the Big East and are far from finalizing a date to withdraw (although the exit is likely for the fall of 2014). The league still needs to lock in on a television partner (Fox, according to sources, the leader in the clubhouse) and a commissioner. But a number of sources have made valid points for additional schools the Big East 7 will go after, with the consensus being Butler and Xavier to get to nine. The 10th spot has interesting candidates, and while I have heard strong Richmond arguments for that spot, the Spiders may end up being more of an 11th or 12th member if the league decides to go that far. There is a definitely a push in one key corner of the seven to add Creighton because of the Bluejays passion for hoops, their facilities and following. I continue to hear conflicting opinions about whether or not distance matters in this new league. What isn't negotiable is the 7 want/need the schools to be all in for basketball. If that's the case then considering Gonzaga isn't out. This league has to be smart about its moves, and if Creighton is in the mix it would be a wise choice.

-haven't we been in that pack, too?

If RM were still around, he would have the likes of Katz and the rest of his media buddies doing on all-out campaign for SLU to get into the C7.

+ 1mm. May should be on the phone to Katz saying, "hey, weren't you and the big guy best buds? You'd know he'd want in on this league, so why don't you help us out here?" Richmond? Makes no sense to me, but what do I know? Let's see if it is Richmond for number 10, you'd have X, Butler, DePaul and MU as Midwest schools and 6 east coast schools. You'd think they'd want to round things out a little bit. This is just speculation on my part, and everyone else's, but Fox Sports has to be our savior here, ie we need the biggest markets available if we're paying you guys $50mm. That would effectively close the door on Richmond and Creighton for the time being. But what's scary is all of a sudden Richmond's getting more press than we are. Heck, we're not even being mentioned and that's scary.

If RM were still around, he would have the likes of Katz and the rest of his media buddies doing on all-out campaign for SLU to get into the C7.

i have to agree with this. katz was a rickma lackey dog and would be doing flips to do/say whatever rickma told him to do.

In fairness, we have no idea what's going on behind the scenes (and neither, I would bet, would 99 percent of the people writing about this in the sports media). I should go back to the period between when Majerus was rumored and he was hired -- I seem to remember that almost everything that got written was that there was NWIFH that such a deal would ever happen.

Currently, we are witnessing the fatal flaw of the 24-hour news cycle.

I've already put it in my mind that we won't be picked. If we do, great, bonus. We could dominate the rest of the A-10 for the next 30 years and be a tournament staple

while my top choice is indeed to be in the new league, however i agree with next year on the consolation prize being to stay in the a-10.

i believe the a-10 will still be the #7 league even after it is raided by this new league. the rest of the big east will become nothing more than the newest version of a cusa imitator and their basketball position in the world of all D1 conferences will drop like a stone. i believe the remains may beg to be a part of the a-10. adding the likes of cincy and memphis wouldnt be all bad and would take some of the travel sting out of losing x and butler.

however, it wont matter, we are going to be in the new league. i think it is just taking a little more time than first expected to unravel what was the big east of old and then pick a television partner.

i have to agree with this. katz was a rickma lackey dog and would be doing flips to do/say whatever rickma told him to do.

Well that's good.

One the reasons I am hesitant with Crews is he would have no stature with reporters at the level of a Katz. We be dependent on the back page of the PD and reading insults from Gordo.

I am in the camp that believes Crews has done an excellent job given the circumstances, however Iam not huge on hiring him after this season. Not because I dont think he will be able to get us to a few NCAA tournaments, maybe even a win or two, but because I dont think he will ever get us to a final 4.

As the Dr discussed in the Bloomberg video, I want to see a National Title one day.

If we are truly on the bubble of getting into the C-7 (which it seems we are), I could see the new coach hire pushing us to one side or the other. A Crews hire could very well push us out of contention. This next hire will have huge and lasting impacts on our future.

I am in the camp that believes Crews has done an excellent job given the circumstances, however Iam not huge on hiring him after this season. Not because I dont think he will be able to get us to a few NCAA tournaments, maybe even a win or two, but because I dont think he will ever get us to a final 4.

As the Dr discussed in the Bloomberg video, I want to see a National Title one day.

If we are truly on the bubble of getting into the C-7 (which it seems we are), I could see the new coach hire pushing us to one side or the other. A Crews hire could very well push us out of contention. This next hire will have huge and lasting impacts on our future.

In the midst of this, I have to wonder what Crews is making. Certainly more than he did as an assistant, but almost surely only a fraction of what Rick was making. Wouldn't the best possible outcome be that we hire a marquee coach and (especially if he takes us to the Dance) extend Crews a 2-3 year contract at an amount that's more befitting of a "top 25" assistant than we've previously paid?

In the midst of this, I have to wonder what Crews is making. Certainly more than he did as an assistant, but almost surely only a fraction of what Rick was making. Wouldn't the best possible outcome be that we hire a marquee coach and (especially if he takes us to the Dance) extend Crews a 2-3 year contract at an amount that's more befitting of a "top 25" assistant than we've previously paid?

The problem with this is that a contract extension for 2-3 years would seem to hamper recruiting, wouldn't it? I would not want to come play for a coach who won't be there my junior and senior year. It seems like a 2 year extension just puts the implied interim on Coach Crews once again.

Also,another thought, if I was a C-7 President making the decision I would want to know that SLU is 100% committed to their basketball program (as our history does not really show that). If we want to prove to the C-7 we are serious about basketball from here on out, is putting an extended interim tag on a coach, just so we don't have to shell out real $$'s, telling you we are serious?

The problem with this is that a contract extension for 2-3 years would seem to hamper recruiting, wouldn't it? I would not want to come play for a coach who won't be there my junior and senior year. It seems like a 2 year extension just puts the implied interim on Coach Crews once again.

Also,another thought, if I was a C-7 President making the decision I would want to know that SLU is 100% committed to their basketball program (as our history does not really show that). If we want to prove to the C-7 we are serious about basketball from here on out, is putting an extended interim tag on a coach, just so we don't have to shell out real $$'s, telling you we are serious?

Mr Bonwich was saying keep Crews as a higher paid assistant for two or three years under a marquee coach. I'll take that assuming the new head coach is......

we hire a marquee coach and (especially if he takes us to the Dance) extend Crews a 2-3 year contract at an amount that's more befitting of a "top 25" assistant than we've previously paid?

(What you interpreted was not at all what I said, which was make a "Majerus" hire for coach and give Crews a 2- to 3-year contract as an assistant in return for his good and loyal service this year. He may or may not get recruited away if he has a good run this year and gets demoted, and the new guy may want to fire him, maybe after the first season, to bring in his "own team." But I think Crews will deserve something if he gets us to the Dance.)

There would probably be a blurb from Katz about the C7 not being intrested in SLU unless they started taking charter this season.

And at this point, what precisely would you have them making noise about?

I am reading the tea leaves, if things were not going as we hope, I would expect to see a little nervous noise coming from the schools that are getting good feedback...my suspicion is decisions have been made, they are favorable to us and it is a matter of the process being played out.....(ie extraction from Big East, formation of the conference, invitations and acceptance of schools)

We should be a very, very attractive team for the C7+, but you never can predict what seven Catholic University Presidents will decide behind closed doors. It is foolish to follow the rumors.

Sure DePaul and Marquette are in but they still might prefer more eastern based teams than SLU. Or something. It is a crapshoot.

I hope there are 12 teams and no surprises: SLU + X + B + Dayton + Creighton (or VCU) would be terrific. But do not bet on it.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="MB73" data-cid="341386" data-time="1360354444"><p>

We <em class='bbc'>should </em>be a very, very attractive team for the C7+, but you never can predict what seven Catholic University Presidents will decide behind closed doors. It is foolish to follow the rumors.<br />

<br />

Sure DePaul and Marquette are in but they still might prefer more eastern based teams than SLU. Or something. It is a crapshoot.<br />

<br />

I hope there are 12 teams and no surprises: SLU + X + B + Dayton + Creighton (or VCU) would be terrific. But do not bet on it. </p></blockquote>

The CU presidents only dictate the exit. Collectively they have a consultant doing all the negotiating and the consultant will guide the final decision on the network and thus will be the deciding factor on who is in.