A tip o' the cap to some of the deserving

The Wiz

There are some who have taken some shots this year that deserve some credit after last night's game.

1. Crews....I have not been a fan of his this season. I think he has done an adequate job given the circumstances he was thrown into. But last night he deserves credit for the win. He rose to the occasion in a big game.....similar to an average player who plays great in a high pressure game or makes the winning shot. Crews had a winning shot last night. I hope he takes that momentum and intensity into future games.

2. The fans....You know the story...they don't show...they don't cheer...they are not going to put on the T-shirts etc. Last night the fans all showed up and created a high level of excitement. ...and for the most part wore white. Where is the Butler poster who said the "Fetz advantage" won't make any difference. As it was pointed out to the fan ....it will make a huge difference...to us ...and it did. Not only did Butler "underestimate" our team but they underestimated our fans. Now that the fans have "tasted" Billiken power, hopefully they will keep coming back.

3. Post-Dispatch and media....Everyone loves a winner and the media is no different. We have taken our shots at the P-D in the past....many rightfully deserved. But today they led with the Bills story on the front page....including a super photo gallery. Most of the rest of the media had very good coverage too....both pre and post game. Hopefully we have their attention and they will continue to follow us in a meaningful way.

We have the momentum...we need to keep it going.

There are some who have taken some shots this year that deserve some credit after last night's game.

1. Crews....I have not been a fan of his this season. I think he has done an adequate job given the circumstances he was thrown into. But last night he deserves credit for the win. He rose to the occasion in a big game.....similar to an average player who plays great in a high pressure game or makes the winning shot. Crews had a winning shot last night. I hope he takes that momentum and intensity into future games.

2. The fans....You know the story...they don't show...they don't cheer...they are not going to put on the T-shirts etc. Last night the fans all showed up and created a high level of excitement. ...and for the most part wore white. Where is the Butler poster who said the "Fetz advantage" won't make any difference. As it was pointed out to the fan ....it will make a huge difference...to us ...and it did. Not only did Butler "underestimate" our team but they underestimated our fans. Now that the fans have "tasted" Billiken power, hopefully they will keep coming back.

3. Post-Dispatch and media....Everyone loves a winner and the media is no different. We have taken our shots at the P-D in the past....many rightfully deserved. But today they led with the Bills story on the front page....including a super photo gallery. Most of the rest of the media had very good coverage too....both pre and post game. Hopefully we have their attention and they will continue to follow us in a meaningful way.

We have the momentum...we need to keep it going.

Rob Loe. Showed swagger out there. Hustle. Moxie. Etc. Etc. I was down on him early in the season, though not as much as some were. Dude has had some really big games lately.

Obviously Jordair Jett. I absolutely love this dude. Outside shot really coming on and he's tough as nails. I can't wait for him to finally stuff one. I think he always finds himself surprised to be unmolested at the rim. I want him to just go up over someone. I forget exactly when it was, but Dwayne Evans was on the break and tried to break down the defender. Good defense, but the ball ended up just squirting off the defender. That's where I want to see Evans, but especially Jordair, just elevate. The dude's back-pedaling... just take off, two hands, swing your balls in his face. It will WORK.

Speaking of Dwayne, he really held us together in the second half. Had a quiet 15 and 5, w/ 3 steals on 6-8 shooting. I actually felt like he was having a bad game until the end, but that definitely wasn't the case. Only turnover was the botched fast break dunk.

McCall played as badly as he possibly could have in the first half, but managed to have a nice second half for us.

Barnett was an absolute spark, fuoking STUD in the first half, hence SportsCenter making him out to be the star of the game. For a crucial part of it, he was. Hopefully his confidence is sky high and stays there.

Cody didn't have a great shooting night, but everything else was there.

Team defense was phenomenal. There was one possession in the second half, where I actually commented in the GDT, that our team defense was PERFECT. Really beautiful to see.

When we have a good game plan, and everyone is playing unselfish, agressive, disciplined basketball, I believe we have top to bottom one of the absolute best teams in the nation. Someone said in another thread that right now it seems like Mitchell, Ellis, Evans and Jett are all our best player, followed very closely by McCall. Loe has shown that he can step up big when needed to. McCall would be the best individual player on the majority of D1 teams. When you have a guy like that as your fifth best player, who could easily be your best player if he fuoking pulled the condom off and started rawdogging it out there, you've got a special team.

If we stay focused, we're going to do some serious damage well into March.

Now let's gotdamn SPANK Dayton. For some reason, I thought we were playing them at their place. I raise my 15 point win prediction to 20. HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE

i am giving first half mccall a break due to the stellar job he did on clarke. clarke being pushed to the half line all night long was the true difference in the game and if mccall wasnt beating him back, it was jett.

as to the team defense, there was a point in the second half where glaze did not rotate over for help defense or secondary help 4 straight possessions. we had a tv timeout and when they came out of the huddle, glaze was on the bench and didnt see the floor again.

glaze is energy galore. but he has a long way to go. getting better, but any team with active bigs and guards like clarke that can drive, make it imperative he understands how today's denial man to man defense works. hopefully he will get it. on the other hand, remeken, who you would think would be getting the message loud and clear, basically played like he was walking the fairway on the back nine whenever he got in the game. i.e. definitely no better. so i would expect glaze will still be getting on the job training opportunities.

one thing no one has given credit to yet, teddy valentine might has well worn a blizzard tshirt last night. if brad stevens was booby knight last night, we might have seen the replay of the classic booby chair throw across the floor at teddy. i bet if we looked up who made the foul calls on butler last night, the majority were called by teddy. i am no teddy fan. teddy is the ultimate "hey i am the referee you came to watch" official. but last night it was all billiken from teddy.

"McCall played as badly as he possibly could have in the first half, but managed to have a nice second half for us"

I will respectfully disagree. he was in Clarke's pants from the opening tip, denying the ball, which clearly rattled Clarke. His contributions are much more than offense. And Ted Valentine has been to 6 Final Fours. Someone thinks he is doing a good job. He is way better than the usual hacks we get. That might be damning with faint praise but at least he is a legitimate D1 official.

You know it's your night when two things happen:

Rob Loe actually plays a few possessions as a post player, actually has moves, and scores of them

A fast break pass that never should have been thrown gets tipped, lands in our lap and touches about four people before magically falling in the net

As for our defense, not only did we pressure the ball handler we did 50x better last night on defending picks and not getting over rotated when helping. Only one or two plays where we left someone open

We had discussed McCall's 3-point shooting recently and he went 3-6 in this game when the other long-distance shooters were fairly cold. Ellis and Loe went a combined 1-8 from downtown and the team was 6-19 (i.e. 3-13 without MM). Just tells me he needs to keep shooting.

I really want to see a picture of this marshmellow man

I'm pretty sure he was the authentic Sta-Puft Marshmallow Man from Ghostbusters. In another thread I asked for pictures of the whole bunch of them. Moytoy says he will post some later.

The whole group came onto the floor at maybe the first whistle after the tip-off and sat courtside.

one thing no one has given credit to yet, teddy valentine might has well worn a blizzard tshirt last night. if brad stevens was booby knight last night, we might have seen the replay of the classic booby chair throw across the floor at teddy. i bet if we looked up who made the foul calls on butler last night, the majority were called by teddy. i am no teddy fan. teddy is the ultimate "hey i am the referee you came to watch" official. but last night it was all billiken from teddy.

i've never thought too much of Valentine either. Always thought he was over-rated as a ref. That said, he's better than we usually see in the A-10. And I too was surprised to see him. We got him regularly when in Conf USA along with a bunch of GOOD refs. But I don't remember him doing a game here since we joined the A-10.

Relentless I think is the best way to describe the D last night. It transferred to offense evevtully. I think with MM, he missed a few layups but really he and jet just flat out dominated Clarke when he had the ball at the top of the key, and forced him into crazy passes.....

Starting on the last road trip the team is playing with much greater intensity on D. It seems they forgot how intense the need to be.......I hope now that they have found they turn it on every game, lets blow out Dayton !!!!!

"McCall played as badly as he possibly could have in the first half, but managed to have a nice second half for us"

I will respectfully disagree. he was in Clarke's pants from the opening tip, denying the ball, which clearly rattled Clarke. His contributions are much more than offense. And Ted Valentine has been to 6 Final Fours. Someone thinks he is doing a good job. He is way better than the usual hacks we get. That might be damning with faint praise but at least he is a legitimate D1 official.

don't get me wrong, his effort was there for sure, and clarke was having a hell of a time out there. but mccall missed at least two WIDE open layups, his outside shot wasn't falling, he had some turnovers, and he made a terrible decision in fouling clarke from behind on a 25 foot three pointer that clarke turned into a four-point play. i knew the second mccall left his feet that he was going to foul and that shot was going in.

but he totally redeemed himself offensively in the second half, and aside from that one dunce move, his defense was top notch. i'm still a bigtime mike mccall fan.

"Starting on the last road trip the team is playing with much greater intensity on D. It seems they forgot how intense the need to be"

It's interesting this coincides with GG replacing CR in the starting line up. These last 3 games, the lane hasn't been open to drive at will for opponents. Maybe that is the root of CR's reduced minutes. Having said that, we are going to need all hands on deck to get to where we want to be in March, including CR.

"Starting on the last road trip the team is playing with much greater intensity on D. It seems they forgot how intense the need to be"

It's interesting this coincides with GG replacing CR in the starting line up. These last 3 games, the lane hasn't been open to drive at will for opponents. Maybe that is the root of CR's reduced minutes. Having said that, we are going to need all hands on deck to get to where we want to be in March, including CR.

i dont think it has anything to do with glaze. he is by far the worst defender off the ball on the team. our defense is better and i am convinced goes with the effort of mitchell, jett and mccall. they are the key to everything on this team imo. we go as the three amigos go. last night was maybe their best combined defensive effort as billikens period.

i dont think it has anything to do with glaze. he is by far the worst defender off the ball on the team. our defense is better and i am convinced goes with the effort of mitchell, jett and mccall. they are the key to everything on this team imo. we go as the three amigos go. last night was maybe their best combined defensive effort as billikens period.

I bet Rotnei Clarke agrees.

I am not so sure. If the high energy guy get minutes, even while he makes mistakes, what is does that say to Remekum, and everyone on the team. It seems it has been contagious, even RL and CR are playing with more intensity and the guards are not afraid to get them the ball on the post. Last year we had Conklin on the post, last night loe, evans, both posted up successfully. Smith is not Withey but still solid defender.

You ought to leave Glaze alone. We have not lost a game since he has started. He does some positive things. He has a lot to learn but, with the experience he is getting now, he should be a very valuable player fo us his last two years.

Glaze played with high intensity but he did get lost a few times. Roy is right, Remuken was asleep on the court.

Teddy TV was all over us in the beginning of the game. I believe we had the first 3 fouls. Crews got in his face early on. They had a very long conversation with Teddy TV finally telling him to back off. After that we got many more calls. Crews was on top of it, hopefully he learned from the RI game that in his own house he has to run the refs.

I really want to see a picture of this marshmellow man

Did anyone get a shot of this? Stay Puft was great. The Marshmallow Man storming the court was a highlight of the season.

And Wiz, please keep up the analysis and predictions, whatever you're doing seems to work, and I adore the letter grades you provide. Easy to understand, and makes absolute sense for CBB(many teams, hard to keep up with them all.)

You're one of my go-to sources for info on a coming game. Wiz is a bro, his intelligent and thoughful posts raise this forum above the riff-raff.